Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

For those that has not seen the hotel on top of the mountain.  Luckily the door was unlocked and inside was 2 mattresses with blankets and a wood stove (if you have the energy to light a fire). We heard rumours of the door closing on people and locking then inside so we kept the door open for the 2 hours we spent there waiting for the sun to rise.

Respect Eddie, inspiring ride - glad you took the pics

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing it gets dark about 5pm this time of year in kzn?

Tim is still not at masakala, after having left at 4:30am he has taken a long time today. quite a push through to malekholonyane through queens mercy floodplains. i wouldn't be surprised if he holes up till maybe 2am. before leaving again. and would expect Andrew to catch up sometime tonight.

And DirtRider left SlaapKranz   :eek:

Was this supported or unsupported?

There is still a Ride - this is now a supported version of the Race.

I think it only became unsupported in 2012? When Mike Woolnough 'chaperoned' one of the groups unsupported - and then it became a race after that?

saw that, eish not sure that is wise, those portages tonight

I'm guessing it gets dark about 5pm this time of year in kzn?

At this stage of the race, maybe a better longitude reference would be East London.

For East London:

Sunset = 17h10

Last Light = 17h40

And to show how they gain time on the afternoon light as they continue westward across the country, right now Last Light in other longitudes are:

Port Elizabeth: 17h55

Mossel Bay: 18h00

Cape Agulhas: 18h07

Cape Town: 18h12

this statement by Liehann: 

"Death mud on the way down from Spitskop to Slaapkranz. Could make tomorrow a tough one!"

could be a significant factor

bold move by the 'lanterne rouge'! bliksem it must be cold there looking at the weather reports from around. his tracker went awol pretty quickly after leaving, but had 87%. there's a signal deadzone in there...am going to assume he finds somewhere between the two to bed down.

tim james is on the way, currently correcting a potentially bad nav error. - Out Masakala at 2130. What a beaut evening! Tim

Still no Dirt Rider tracking. Hope he got off the Slaapkrantz Mountain safely. Quite a lot of farms in the valley, but you have to get down first. More difficult than it looks on google earth. Not a place I'd want to sleep the night :wacko:

bold move by the 'lanterne rouge'! bliksem it must be cold there looking at the weather reports from around. his tracker went awol pretty quickly after leaving, but had 87%. there's a signal deadzone in there...am going to assume he finds somewhere between the two to bed down.

tim james is on the way, currently correcting a potentially bad nav error. - Out Masakala at 2130. What a beaut evening! Tim

Looks like Tim slept out(as he is want to do) somwhere near the Sprinkana Village. Not too far ahead of Mike and Janine at the moment.

Can any of you "old hands" comment on the route Theo and Fjord took into Tinana Mission last night.

Haven't seen anybody take that option.

Looks pretty hectic.

post-964-0-73447200-1434606210_thumb.jpg

Can any of you "old hands" comment on the route Theo and Fjord took into Tinana Mission last night.

Looks pretty hectic.

Looks like one of the 'Tiger Line' options. I know some of the more adventurous racing snakes use it. Quite a gnarly hike-a-bike decent.

Looks pretty hectic.

Freedom Trail @freedom_trail 14h14 hours ago

Fjord Jordaan and Theo van Dyk decide to end their ride today at Tinana Mission - taking the tiger line - first time for 2015

1 retweet 1 favorite

Looks like Tim slept out(as he is want to do) somwhere near the Sprinkana Village. Not too far ahead of Mike and Janine at the moment.

Tim, Janine and Mike sleeping at Vuvu tonight? 

Looks like one of the 'Tiger Line' options. I know some of the more adventurous racing snakes use it. Quite a gnarly hike-a-bike decent.

Looks pretty hectic.

I suspect that they were chasing the light and desperate to get down and decided to take the tiger line. Black fountain is a nasty place in the dark. Difficult to get off

Still no Dirt Rider tracking. Hope he got off the Slaapkrantz Mountain safely. Quite a lot of farms in the valley, but you have to get down first. More difficult than it looks on google earth. Not a place I'd want to sleep the night :wacko:

ja. still nothing and his tracker isn't even listed. will ask race control on the twitters for an update if any?

Archived