Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is dirtrider?????

Edit - oh sorry Shebeen I see you've already asked ... must have been crazy cold out there last night ...

Where is dirtrider?????

Probably lost his tracker somewhere in all the luggage he's carrying...

Where is dirtrider?????

Edit - oh sorry Shebeen I see you've already asked ... must have been crazy cold out there last night ...

He's ALIVE...

Popped up on the tracker just past Slaapkranz. Looks like he may have slept near the Saalboomrivier...

Must be freezing up there early in the morning, but the weather forecast for Rhodes looks peachy for everyone going through the area at the moment. Sunny days and a light breeze for the next 5 days at least.

Edit: weather for Cradock area showing much the same - nice and sunny, except the breeze slightly stronger in the Karoo (10 - 20 km/h - mostly crosswind) and relatively balmy mornings at 5 degrees.

He's ALIVE...

Popped up on the tracker just past Slaapkranz. Looks like he may have slept near the Saalboomrivier...

ja. so he got over loutebron at least and then cut his losses there. looks like a farmhouse might have been used!

there is no cell reception in that valley, beat and liehan also just popped up(they're right behind him)

andrew hunt is lost at kapokkraal!

Tim james is already past malekholonyane, he will be aiming for vuvu today i reckon.

andrew barnes has hooked up with gawie

Although not so much of a factor now as it is on the portages after Rhodes, one of the ways to get through the inevitable mud is to ride/ walk on it at night when it is frozen solid.

Same applies to the wind - Tim is an old hand and when the wind drops he will ride - regardless of day or night. Such was his delight when last night presented him with a great opportunity to ride last night.  

So his strategy of not being dependent on support stations for his rest, sees him ride and ride and then just find a hole somewhere to sleep when he has to.

Marnitz, who is still my dark horse with his consistency, he on the other hand is a man with a big heart and while he rides at night, he likes to 'kuier' with the people of the trail - that's why he is really out there. So while he may be sleeping rough at times, it doesn't mean his isn't in the kitchen for koffie and a lekker chat wherever he can.

The hosts also single Marnitz out for special treatment and this slows his progress, because he as a boer/ gentleman and cant say no to hospitality.

(one of the hosts showed me the hand written card they received in the post from Marnitz some weeks after he gets home from the trail - a true gent)

Although not so much of a factor now as it is on the portages after Rhodes, one of the ways to get through the inevitable mud is to ride/ walk on it at night when it is frozen solid.

Same applies to the wind - Tim is an old hand and when the wind drops he will ride - regardless of day or night. Such was his delight when last night presented him with a great opportunity to ride last night.  

So his strategy of not being dependent on support stations for his rest, sees him ride and ride and then just find a hole somewhere to sleep when he has to.

Marnitz, who is still my dark horse with his consistency, he on the other hand is a man with a big heart and while he rides at night, he likes to 'kuier' with the people of the trail - that's why he is really out there. So while he may be sleeping rough at times, it doesn't mean his isn't in the kitchen for koffie and a lekker chat wherever he can.

The hosts also single Marnitz out for special treatment and this slows his progress, because he as a boer/ gentleman and cant say no to hospitality.

(one of the hosts showed me the hand written card they received in the post from Marnitz some weeks after he gets home from the trail - a true gent)

I can't see Marnitz pulling too many 'sleep outs' this year with his companions... Or if he does, I can't see the companions sticking with him... in which case things get interesting as he is their ticket to the finish line...

Pierre I suspect may be in a spot of bother, his progress may be too slow to make the 13 day Hofmeyer cutoff unless he rides pretty much non-stop from here but that has not exactly been his pattern. Not really sure what happens then. I'm guessing he planned to ride his bike along the Freedom Trail for 26 days and see where that gets him. What happens thereafter is Day 27's problem :-). He has a great attitude and the Freedom Trail has a habit of asking a lot but returning so much more, whatever happens he would have had an experience of a lifetime and stories to tell for many a braai. Still holding thumbs for him! Go Pierre!

PS: There are actually plenty of half decent sleep out spots after Rhodes if one so chooses (cow sheds, forts, abandoned house, rail sidings, etc).

I can't see Marnitz pulling too many 'sleep outs' this year with his companions... Or if he does, I can't see the companions sticking with him... in which case things get interesting as he is their ticket to the finish line...

Interesting that the Marnitz train seem to have seperated earlier in the day and he is now no longer tracking. Could be a tech glitch or........?

Ingrid now sweeping on her own. Gutsy lady!

Pierre I suspect may be in a spot of bother, his progress may be too slow to make the 13 day Hofmeyer cutoff unless he rides pretty much non-stop from here but that has not exactly been his pattern. Not really sure what happens then. I'm guessing he planned to ride his bike along the Freedom Trail for 26 days and see where that gets him. What happens thereafter is Day 27's problem :-). He has a great attitude and the Freedom Trail has a habit of asking a lot but returning so much more, whatever happens he would have had an experience of a lifetime and stories to tell for many a braai. Still holding thumbs for him! Go Pierre!

PS: There are actually plenty of half decent sleep out spots after Rhodes if one so chooses (cow sheds, forts, abandoned house, rail sidings, etc).

not too sure if the 13 day rule has ever been enforced, would be a bit harsh as he's picked up speed!

say he spends tonight at moordenaarspoort which he's very close to.

11th night/10.5 days

12th romansfontein (possible)

13th hofmeyr (simple)

11th night/10.5 days

13th hofmeyr (simple)

Go Pierre, Go Pierre, GO GO GO!!!!!

not too sure if the 13 day rule has ever been enforced, would be a bit harsh as he's picked up speed!

11th night/10.5 days

13th hofmeyr (simple)

From Moordenaars 247km to Hofmeyr.

Moordenaars-Krantzkop-Brosterlea-Romans is a big day. 175km/2500m ascent. Too much for P?

Romans-Hofmeyer. Agree. Aasvoel not too difficult then pretty much downhill/flat into Hofmeyr.

Option B?

Tonight. Push through to Krantzkop tonight, flat 45km (4hrs for P), easy nav. Arrive 22h00.

Tomorrow. Leave early 5h00. 130km day to Kranz-Romans. Flatish. Only tricky portage Vegkoppies/pivots.

Sat. As per yours.

Archived