Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

so let me get this clear, the entered the kloof last night ?

YUP. Tim left trouthaven at 2pm, so could be expected anytime from midnight

Andrew was there at 7pm. I don't know if he went straight away or waited for today

both of them are still in the DARK. it rained last night too in CT.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so let me get this clear, the entered the kloof last night ?

Yip, Tim left Trouthaven at 2pm yesterday and last I saw at around 6.30pm Andrew was at Trouthaven - it seems no one know when he left there.

Interesting race to the finish.

So whilst we wait for some news to creep out, here's a quick recollection of riding with our two protagonists in 2008.

2008 was the first year of batching, the race had got too big for one start alone(accommodation capacity being the main constraint really). Andrew was in batch A, Tim was in C - i was sandwiched between them in B. The batch A guys (Barnes, Danie Nel, Allen Sharpe and Stu Brew) rode together all the way to the finish at Ashanti/Paarl. Interestingly Stu the kiwi did most of the navigating for them! they had this funny code language by the end too.

I rode with Tim till rhodes, then let him go on and do his thing.I had by then properly caught up with the batch A guys and pulled in with them on the road the next day. Tim had a rof night, falling into a stream near chesney wold and holed up there till morning recuperating. Not wanting to take on the three portages with a late start he slow pedalled to Rust de Winter(nowadays Slaapkranz). We all arrived a bit later surprised to see him still there, and he had a big story. Lucky for us he would take us through the loutebron and bonthoek portages the next day, which we did as a group of six.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SIchYCxo_pI/AAAAAAAABAA/M31xZvwfKoA/s1600/IMG_1726.JPG

going up bonthoek

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SIciUy0q4eI/AAAAAAAABAY/3JQw3LHFVOU/s1600/IMG_1733.JPG

the miles get easier from here! me, tim, danie, stu and allen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SIciUjMLmQI/AAAAAAAABAQ/tKAn3EgltAM/s1600/IMG_1732.JPG

that's Andrew taking the picture

Anyway, that's the set up for the actual point of the story. at the end of this day we were approaching the dordrechtSS(near the now kranzkop SS) Tim was planning his next move. He asked me if i wanted to keep riding with him, but i was a)buggered b)riding a singlespeed after breaking a shifter. He then cosied over to Allen, who was looking very comfortable with the pace. Allen wasn't keen to go balls to the wall racing, he wanted to enjoy it. So who else? Allen said that Andrew could probably go long and hard into the night. Tim said he wasn't so sure, when pushed by Allen the response was - "he talks too much!!"

true story! both wonderful guys, Tim rode on alone from there and didn't see another rider till the finish, where he smashed the record by 2 days or something. We tried chasing, but all in vain. maybe tomorrow we can continue the story with the 2009 race

Ok Glenn... enough is enough. Reveal their trackers once more please...  :ph34r:

Tim is now tracking

holey moley. it's on! tim james is in the lead by maybe 30mins-hour

very insane route he took last night. crazy steep 

CIqWYnBWIAAGsVd.jpg

Hard to comprehend that it has come to this, I thought no way Tim would wander last night, boy did he wander.....

Who knows what Andrew got up to.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

This is close. Du toits kiloof is the last hill and will decide it. Does Tim still have it in his legs after last night?

I keep refreshing the screen, but the trackers are both stuck at 20 minutes  plus 500 metres apart.

F5, F5, F5.

It would ruin it if someone gets lost in the forest into Dimersfontein. Perish the thought. So close after 2350km!

tim is near the summit. he took 40-50 minutes on the climb. but a 30min lead was a lot. i think he's got it.

both will probably think they have blown it last night.

Surely both know the finish very well and it would take a mechanical or similar to change things now?... 30-60min is a loooong time to catch up if both keep moving forward...

Andrew is going to rue the extra sleep and Tim is going to thank his lucky stars Vuvu (and Stettyns) didn't go anymore pear shaped...

Surely both know the finish very well and it would take a mechanical or similar to change things now?... 30-60min is a loooong time to catch up if both keep moving forward...

Not so sure of that.

On my screen trackers now show around 7 kms apart ... but Andrew's tracker reported in half an hour before Tim's - so they may well be together right now...

Archived