Is the Medical Industry taking us for a ride?

Ive also been to the "butchery " and my lower back operation cost over R310 000 and I'm still in pain somedays. Plus now have limited movement in one leg. I say these "knobs" PRACTICE medicine. So they haven't got it right , they still practicing .

Next Doctor or surgeon to see me will only charge me to certify me dead!

Who chose the surgeon? Based on what? Were you informed pre-op? Did you get more than one opinion? Hope those "knobs" never have to treat any of your family. I bet you never followed the post-op instructions. People with oversimplified opinions normally are the type that does their own thing.

Was the 310k mostly for the "knobs"?

Edited by TALUS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You doth protest too much.

Oh OK. Then it must be true - they must be wrong.

Nice contribution from you.

Really cleared things up.

You feel anybody else should be called knobs?

Oh OK. Then it must be true - they must be wrong.

Nice contribution from you.

Really cleared things up.

You feel anybody else should be called knobs?

Ok , ill "bite" the 310k was for the op only . The extras such as 3 x MRI ( one pre op , two post op ) and then physiotherapist etc was additional 45k . I did get a second opinion . And the second surgeon also suggested i have the operation . The surgeon ( 1st opinion ) was the best in the country at that stage and i did research before to see wether is was so . And indeed he was .

As for following instructions . To the "letter " , to such an extent that i was off work for 8months on " his " instructions and advise. 8months off , ya quite a while , and once i returned to work i was replaced and lost my position two months later.

End of my comment

Many provisos regarding this - but roughly yes.

Essentially (in an accident) in order for it to be considered and paid as a PMB you need to be in danger of losing life and limb, and then the med aid you're with van request you to be moved to a hospital of their choice (either network hospitals or state facilities, depending on the med aid)

If you're brought in to a non network / Designated Service Provider (DSP) then your bills will be covered until such time as you are considered "stable" and then once stable you need to be moved within a certain time frame, or your bill will NOT be covered in full.

Sometimes it's better to have a claim admitted as a normal claim instead of insisting on PMB treatment, especially if you weren't transferred to a network hospital within the required time frame.

So yeah. It's not as clear cut as "everything must be paid if it was a PMB" - far more to it, as Talus says.

Bottom line - everyone and I mean everyone needs gap cover. I just hope the changes don't go through as the legislators want them to. That will change the face of things for sure.

Ok , ill "bite" the 310k was for the op only . The extras such as 3 x MRI ( one pre op , two post op ) and then physiotherapist etc was additional 45k . I did get a second opinion . And the second surgeon also suggested i have the operation . The surgeon ( 1st opinion ) was the best in the country at that stage and i did research before to see wether is was so . And indeed he was .

As for following instructions . To the "letter " , to such an extent that i was off work for 8months on " his " instructions and advise. 8months off , ya quite a while , and once i returned to work i was replaced and lost my position two months later.

End of my comment

1) You really needed the op - according to "the best in the country" and AN Other.

This implies you either already had damage or it was impending.

2) 310k for surgical fees will be some record for any routine surgery - clearly you had a very complicated situation.

3) 8months off work is very long - clearly not a routine situation.

4) Being replaced at work has nothing to do and can hardly be part of your issue with the medical treatment.

So: did the outcome of your condition change (are you as bad as you would have been)? If your Dr was negligent he quickly went from the best to a knob. Surely his practise has now died away.

I think you may be pissed at nature dealing you a bad hand.

PS: I have always wanted to see this Ranking List for Surgeons - where can I find it?

Edited by TALUS

Medical/Veterinary science is not all cut and dry. Each case varies and everybody's own body reacts differently to surgeries/medication etc. It takes experience and continued studying to provide professional services. If you have a hospital, equipment has to be maintained, staff has to be paid. If you don't want to pay them, don't ask them for help....

I was in last week for a scope, yet to see the bill for the anaesthetist but this guy was really proper, did a full clinical, took his time asking me about my history and condition. Will pay him no questions asked!

I have a policy with doctors, it's actually very simple. If i make an appointment for 4pm and only get to see him at 4:30 then he waits 30 days for every 5 minutes he kept me waiting. I also wait for them to hand me over to their debt collector and then i go pay the doctor direct and tell the debt collection agency to get knotted, if the doctor contracted them to collect his money then he must pay them.

Normal payment protcol is 30 days from date of statement, mine is 30 days from date of final demand. All you do is phone their accounts department and *** them out for not sending you the invoice in the 1st place. works every time.

I have a policy with doctors, it's actually very simple. If i make an appointment for 4pm and only get to see him at 4:30 then he waits 30 days for every 5 minutes he kept me waiting. I also wait for them to hand me over to their debt collector and then i go pay the doctor direct and tell the debt collection agency to get knotted, if the doctor contracted them to collect his money then he must pay them.

Normal payment protcol is 30 days from date of statement, mine is 30 days from date of final demand. All you do is phone their accounts department and *** them out for not sending you the invoice in the 1st place. works every time.

What an @sshole

I wonder who is fixated on the money.... Also wonder what he does if he gets seen on time and more importantly what would happen if this was to become the norm and little madmarc broke his arm. He will have to wait until everybody with appointments (and moronic attitudes) have been seen and then asked to pay up front because his Dad has proven to be an idiot.

It's patients like you who have hardened my billing practices. How would you like to be paid 6 months after the service was delivered? I hope you need a prostate exam soon! If people only knew the amount of time, energy and money the medical profession takes away from you and your family they might be a bit more understanding. Think when you are at home with your wife and children or riding your bike I am working looking after your family while mine is alone waiting for me. Maybe consider this it might change your perspective a little. Think about it. My 2 cents worth.

It's patients like you who have hardened my billing practices. How would you like to be paid 6 months after the service was delivered? I hope you need a prostate exam soon! If people only knew the amount of time, energy and money the medical profession takes away from you and your family they might be a bit more understanding. Think when you are at home with your wife and children or riding your bike I am working looking after your family while mine is alone waiting for me. Maybe consider this it might change your perspective a little. Think about it. My 2 cents worth.

I think we also need to be aware that currently medical aid rates do not exist. The legislation that governed this was set aside in 2010 with the hospersa judgement in 2010. So the rates we use are 10 years old and are not cost based. It's simple economics if you charge less than the cost of sales you will liquidate your business. Also consider the statutory cost of your practice. Income tax at 38%,vat 14%, paye, wcc, mal practice, hpcsa registration, the costs of cpd points to maintain registration. That's just the beginning. Consider the cost of your degree and not working for 10 plus years that you didn't work while attaining your degree. Post graduate qualifications. The list goes on and on. I always say nobody forces any one to use private health care. When you need to go to hospital you do. have a choice you can go to a public health care facility to. Like anything in life you want the best it's never cheap. You cannot get Ferrari care for mini money. Again my two cents what it's worth. Also remember the less medical professionals there are the more scarce the skills more we will pay. It has become a commodity unfortunately world wide. Lastly, consider that a gynecologist may have to pay up to 500k in professional indemnity insurance per annum before he makes a cent. Huge costs!