2015 S Works Epic

Johny Bravo

Yep. I have nothing against people spending money on bikes that they may or may not "have the skills" to ride or represent on the podium etc.

What I have an issue with is how overpriced the bikes generally are in the first place. Whether people buy them or not - not an issue.

It's getting crazy, where it lies for me is that they are beautiful BRAND NEW, absolute works of art and one can see why they cost what they cost (most of the time) but after 6 months of riding the bike, it starts looking like a dogs breakfast.

Suddenly R 130 k becomes R 60 k

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway - back to the bike. Brilliant looking frame, but If you're going to spec 1x on a bike, that Direct Mount FD blank there is just screaming out for removal.

Reminds me of Austin Powers - moley moley moley....

Other than that - one of the best looking frames in its segment.

What I have an issue with is how overpriced the bikes generally are in the first place. Whether people buy them or not - not an issue.

just buy chinese versions then

It's getting crazy, where it lies for me is that they are beautiful BRAND NEW, absolute works of art and one can see why they cost what they cost (most of the time) but after 6 months of riding the bike, it starts looking like a dogs breakfast.

yeah. Indeed. And yes, I know - once you add up the cost of the individual components it "becomes more reasonable" - BUT - in this case, especially - the volumes that Spaz are moving certainly would entitle them to negotiate a mega deal on the OEM componentry. Not to mention that the wheels, saddle, tires, bar stem and other goedes (all except the fork and drivetrain) are IN HOUSE items...

It's frankly ridiculous. And $ 2,000 for a FORK!? With 100mm travel!? The FOX 40 wasn't even that much.

Yep. I have nothing against people spending money on bikes that they may or may not "have the skills" to ride or represent on the podium etc.

I said it was MORE of an issue, and then said not even really as its their business what they spend their money one, not my business. But heres why, look at it this way, costs are driven up by the fact that there are LOTS of people who are willing to spend R130k on an S-Works, there are not many people that can ride it to its full potential though. The prices are driven by demand, and 90% of S-Works are ridden by people who should really be riding an Expert, but can afford the best so they buy it. But why aggravate yourself with it? We can say the same about EVERYTHING, R800k for an A-Class.. WTF. But I know this is cycling forum... They wouldn't charge it if they couldn't. So let them, and we can keep riding our cheaper ones, wait a year and buy said S-Works for 40% less (or whatever that dudes calculation said we must pay :) ) Edit: Yes, back to the bike....

Edited by Patchelicious

What R130K gets you:

S Works Epic

BMW F800 GS

Hyundai i10

Return business class flights x 2 from Cape Town to New York

just buy chinese versions then

If I were to buy chinese it certainly would not be a copy. At least not willingly - and certainly not with the "lookalike" decals.

Saying that - for my next wheel purchase (10 years from now) I'll most probably go Chinese carbon. Wide, hookless bead design.

I am trying boet, but there is so much rubbish to read through that I just decided to skip to the last page and throw my opinion in like everyone else before it gets locked.

Ja, everyone is a legend in their own lunchtime. We still need a couple of "its not the bike", SS hardmen, roadies and spruit rats...

Ja, everyone is a legend in their own lunchtime. We still need a couple of "its not the bike", SS hardmen, roadies and spruit rats...

TALAAAAAAAAANNNSSSkkkiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What R130K gets you:

S Works Epic Maybe

BMW F800 GS Yes please

Hyundai i10 Rather walk

Return business class flights x 2 from Cape Town to New York Not my thing

What R130K gets you:

S Works Epic

BMW F800 GS

Hyundai i10

Return business class flights x 2 from Cape Town to New York

The fun factor/Joy you get from Mtbing ... priceless :clap:

That's assuming they actually use the bikes for it's intended purpose.... :whistling:

Give me a 130k to blow at teazers and I will show you fun factor :whistling:

Eggzakkery my point.

Different strokes for different folks.

Price is never directly proportionate to enjoyment.

You don't have twice as much fun on a bike twice as expensive as the Expert model, nor do you have 100% more fun / speed / space in a Hyundai i30 opposed to an i10.

You may also think that paying 3 x more for a business class flight is crazy opposed to a economy ticket, but to some time and comfort is just that important and neccecary (think the CEO of Anglo that fly in, go into a range of meetings and fly out to the next destination for another round of meetings), so they do it. Others can simply afford to, so why should they fly cattle class?