Determining the value to sell your second-hand bike at…

kingalton

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your idea of 50% off the original price if the bike is a year is a bit rough my friend, with the entry level bikes yeah sure that might make sense but with the bikes going for 20K+ frame only, I think that it would be madness seeing VIPAs being sold for almost the same price as let's a Giant XTC hardtail that is only a year old, then the XTCs would be 10-12k depending on which one you buy of course but there are quite a few XTCs for 20-25k second hand of course? It would unbalance the scales.

Edited by Ruan de Lange

I think this formula is flawed, but it suits me as 26 inch bikes and components are going for really low prices, and the same will soon happen with the big wheelers. If people continue to think like this, the 2nd hand bike market will remain a buyers market.

According to that bicyclebluebook site, my formula isn't far off.. Did a search on a spez sworks epic 2013 - the RRP new was 10000 dollars, now the value is between 3600 and 5600 dollars.. Depending on the condition... As I said it's a guideline!

I was going to write a long reply to this, but simply put this thread is just nonsense (being polite here)... It's all simple economics as many people have said. Go look at car resale prices and see if you can make a single formula that works for Toyota/Opel/Chery/Jeep/Ferrari etc.

The prices are too high because YOU don't want the bike - simpy don't buy it then. Alternatively go and write "KingAlton's guide to bicycle resale prices" and see how many copies you can sell (just make sure it's not too expensive!).

Sometimes people don't realise there are only a few hundred ppl browsing the ads on here so there won't be a buyer for everything (the bargain hunters will snatch it up if you make it cheap enough, but you're losing out then!).

Thanks for your opinion edge_design.. As per my other replies, my formula is my opinion.. Has worked for me.. Wanted to get other peoples opinions and I have them now, so all good..

Edited by kingalton

Here is my proven method:

Draw a graph with two lines. The intersection of the lines "what the seller hopes to get" and "what the buyer wants to pay" is the correct selling price.

Here is my proven method:

Draw a graph with two lines. The intersection of the lines "what the seller hopes to get" and "what the buyer wants to pay" is the correct selling price.

Supply and demand?! What are you smoking?

Im too lazy to read the entire fred.

Here is how I see it.

If your item sells within an hour , you were probably under priced.

If your item sells within a week, you were on the money.

If you hit 200 views wiithout a comment, you are overpiced or you are selling a non demand item.

If you get flamed within 50 views, you are way over priced.

Im too lazy to read the entire fred.

Here is how I see it.

If your item sells within an hour , you were probably under priced.

If your item sells within a week, you were on the money.

If you hit 200 views without a comment, you are overpiced or you are selling a non demand item.

If you get flamed within 50 views, you are way over priced.

Edited by Vetseun

• 2 years later...

Bit of an old thread revival here. I looking for a bit of guidance of what would be a reasonable asking price for my bike.

I have a 2014 Giant Anthem. From Strava I have done roughly 7200 kilometers and had it religiously serviced at Linden Cycles.

It just had BB done and bearings in the linkage components. Headset and shocks were done in the service prior to that and the cassette and the large front chainring were replaced in the service prior to that if my memory is correct. I have tried to keep it well looked after and washed after almost every ride.  Having said that the bike is a few years old and I have had some tumbles with it so the bike has the usual marking to show it.

The bike has been very good to me and if the option for an upgrade was not around I would still be happily riding it.  It still goes like stink and is a smooth ride with no gremlins.

Any advice would be appreciated!

post-45359-0-07884700-1481551639_thumb.jpg

post-45359-0-20200800-1481551640_thumb.jpg

post-45359-0-25521500-1481551641_thumb.jpg

post-45359-0-54175800-1481551643_thumb.jpg