What is good enough?

Johan Schade

I am a keen MTB rider as in my humble opnion with relative good skills and ability. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend 20-30 k on a bike.

I believe we live in a society where the media and some LBS wants us to believe that the expensive bikes and components are the way to go.

I know there is a lot of recreational riders that wants to know what is goog enough for a good solid ride. I am talking about the normal 30-50 km MTB races.

It will be brilliant if someone or perhaps Bicycling or Ride magazine can give us an indication on what is sufficient when you are a novice, average or above average rider.

I am talking about groupset, wheelset, brakes, suspension ect.

When somebody wants to buy a new bike he or she can use it as a standard on what is good enough for the type of riding they are going to do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any bike with Shimano SLX/XT or SRAM X9 components. Brakes can be Shimano SLX or XT or Avid Elixir 5 and up, unless you are one of the Avid haters.

Unfortunately for most of us....you ride what you can afford. Whether its good enough or not.

Most pro's dont pay for their bikes anyway...so they are not applicable.

My 2c

I personally think a bike of 10-15k is good enough for a average rider. I can't see why I should pay 50k on a bike when I only ride for my own enjoyment.

I did the Oyster Festival 80km mtb race last year on my 10k Merida, me and my bike both survived. And I think I came in before a couple of 40-50k bikes.

I personally think a bike of 10-15k is good enough for a average rider. I can't see why I should pay 50k on a bike when I only ride for my own enjoyment.

I did the Oyster Festival 80km mtb race last year on my 10k Merida, me and my bike both survived. And I think I came in before a couple of 40-50k bikes.

How many other riders would you have beaten IF you had been riding a 40-50k bike.

How many other riders would you have beaten IF you had been riding a 40-50k bike.

booom...mind = blown

Johan...johan...johan

Do we ride bikes on paper on the trails....therein lies your answer

Ek hoef nie eers iets te se nie...

Ek dink dat indien n persoon goeie huiswerk gaan doen voor hy n fiets koop, sal die regte besluit maak - die een wat sak, oe en boude pas...

Goedkoop koop (nie noodwendig die prys nie) en oorhaastig koop is duur koop!

Johan which bike do you have now?

What kind of riding are you going to do most often?

What bike do you want?

Too many options today.

You CAN get a really good bike for under R10

This kind of thread you post on a Monday morning not a Friday afternoon!

I don't know, but I ride to enjoy and finish the race, not to finish in the top 10.

Will you beat Nibali if yo put him on a Sportmans' Titan?

vra maar net so tong in die kies...

I don't know, but I ride to enjoy and finish the race, not to finish in the top 10.

With the exception of my DS all my bikes cost less than R10 000 new and all with mix XT/SLX. I did finish 8th in the 20km Heidelberg Golf Course MTB race a few years back though :thumbup:

Ek hoef nie eers iets te se nie...

Ek dink dat indien n persoon goeie huiswerk gaan doen voor hy n fiets koop, sal die regte besluit maak - die een wat sak, oe en boude pas...

Goedkoop koop (nie noodwendig die prys nie) en oorhaastig koop is duur koop!

Netso willem

I think Johan wants a list of components and frame where the rule of diminishing returns are plotted against each. There is no list like that...we might as well ask everyone here what is the perfect wife....everyone will be right and wrong at the same time because value is relative.

With the exception of my DS all my bikes cost less than R10 000 new and all with mix XT/SLX. I did finish 8th in the 20km Heidelberg Golf Course MTB race a few years back though :thumbup:

out of?.......8? :ph34r: :whistling: