Headset troubleshooting

RocknRolla

Please assist me if posible, I took my beautifull Inbred out for her maiden ride over the weekend, and it all went pretty good until I experience sthe steering not working so lekker.

Stopped, and tested the steering, noticing it is binding quite a bit, with a bit of what feels like grinding happening inside of the headset. Loosend the whole thing up a wee bit and rode back to the car. By the time I got there it was binding quite a bit again.

Without me opening the headset I was hoping to troubleshoot some of the things i need to look out for when I Take the whole thing apart.

Was it lack of 'lube? Incorrect installation? mis-alignment of parts perhaps?

Looking forward to some 'ub(b)er expertise....

Edited by RocknRolla

Disclaimer:

The Topic title is not in any way affiliated with the spruit riders wanting to pack heat while riding through the crap.

Probably incorrect installation, but it could also be a bad bearing. The top-cap shouldn't be the thing holding your stem in place though - should only really be used for initial setup and then lightly tightened, with the stem doing most of the work to keep the steerer in place.

Maybe the bearings just weren't greased properly, but it mainly depends on what type of bearings you're using - cartridge bearings, sealed bearings etc.

Best bet is to take it to your LBS and get them to sort it out for you....

Disassemble, clean out mud, sand and assorted foliage, and reassemble according to these instructions. Use decent grease - a thin layer if the bearings are cartridge type and a good packing if they're loose balls. If that doesn't work, report back with symptoms and pikchas.

The most important part to remember is that the topcap is there to preload the bearing before tightening the stem bolts which actually hold the assembly together.

Cap wa snot used to keep headset in place, but stem was - Correct.

Suspect Waynehans may be on the money - as the thing was working fine till I hit the dirt.

Spent some time riding the bike with my lightie in the complex, and all went well untill well into my ride on the dirt.

will check, clean re-install and report back.

sounds like needs a clean and regrease.. might be stating the obvious, is there a crown race on the fork?

Edited by shaper

Hmm. Sealed bearings, so they shouldn't be accepting dirt that readily. I think it was a fitment issue - not lining up properly, or just not seated properly. If the steerer isn't sitting in the bearings properly, it could produce a bit of resistance.

Arb Q - was the bearing race (that little jobbie that you put on the fork steerer that sits between the bottom bearing and the fork itself) seated properly before you put the fork in?

Also - pull the topcap off and make sure the steerer's 2 - 3mm below the top of the top spacer. Any less than that and you'll need another spacer on there.

Also - pull the topcap off and make sure the steerer's 2 - 3mm below the top of the top spacer. Any less than that and you'll need another spacer on there.

confirmed that there is 3mm gap below topcap

Sorry for the hijack but while we're on the topic:

Could someone please explain the difference between integrated, semi integrated and a regular headset?

ok, i took the headset apart, and it seems the crown and lower bearing does not quite meet up properly.

The angles od the crown race and the bearing race does not properly meet up.

if pressure is applied to the bearing, it slips off the race, then sits unaligned. This is then causing the mis-alignement and scraping sound when turning the handlebars.

Is assume the lower bearing is not 100% correct.

or the crown race is not the right one.

photos attached

post-24416-0-64639300-1406185912_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-08536900-1406185923_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-76797600-1406185931_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-86691000-1406185937_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-49398000-1406185943_thumb.jpg