Chains 101

Uni

I heard that you can buy a book about chains from Amazon.......  :ph34r:

One can. And it's highly informative and may help dispel some of the old myths about chains :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can. And it's highly informative and may help dispel some of the old myths about chains :)

A book written from a persons own personal myths to dispel the myths about chains ?

Sounds like a winna winna chikkan dinna plan .

Seems everyone is on Shimano and SRAM only. From my dirt jumping/street riding days I found that KMC chains (8 speed)  were the only ones that survived. But running both SRAM and Shimano ( 9 and 10 speed respectively) chains on my two MTB's and for normal riding they both seem to perform the same?

Agreed. KMC are bombproof.

Not that it will add anything but for the record. A track chain on my S/S (with horizontal sliders) was my best chain choice ever (and it is gold and very bling).

Not that it will add anything but for the record. A track chain on my S/S (with horizontal sliders) was my best chain choice ever (and it is gold and very bling).

Track chains are wide and heavy and last fairly close to forever. The thinner a chain is, the faster it will wear (all other things being equal...)

Track chains are wide and heavy and last fairly close to forever. The thinner a chain is, the faster it will wear (all other things being equal...)

That is the magic

Have not been through all 8 pages, but, (!!) how much oil/lubricant does one put on a chain ? A few dribbles and then wipe off? And then how often does one do this ? After everyride ?

I had my chain snap on me and it was a disaster having to work covered in black sticky stuff that covered everything from my chain fix it tool, to my hands and backpack to the frame on the bike. What a shamples, so it got me to thinking about lubricating the chain.

It is more the fact that track chains run in a straigh line, and thinner chains are being used on geared systems hence the chain "bends" side to side and that is where the "wear" comes from.

Take a thin chain and run it straight, it will also last a long time

Have not been through all 8 pages, but, (!!) how much oil/lubricant does one put on a chain ? A few dribbles and then wipe off? And then how often does one do this ? After everyride ?

I had my chain snap on me and it was a disaster having to work covered in black sticky stuff that covered everything from my chain fix it tool, to my hands and backpack to the frame on the bike. What a shamples, so it got me to thinking about lubricating the chain.

I like to follow the Rock and Roll Lube instructions, move chain while sprayin lube for 1 or 2 goes around, stop, rotate the chain 2 or 3 times. Wipe off all excess on the chain. I redo mine after I wash the bike, which is pretty much every weekend ride.

I like to follow the Rock and Roll Lube instructions, move chain while sprayin lube for 1 or 2 goes around, stop, rotate the chain 2 or 3 times. Wipe off all excess on the chain. I redo mine after I wash the bike, which is pretty much every weekend ride.

I think this is where I miss out - I wash my bike once a year, if that. Life is to short, mostly the LBS washes the bike and I dont mind if they charge me a wee bit extra.

So the key is to wipe of the excess. Do non black chains exist on normal bikes ?

I think this is where I miss out - I wash my bike once a year, if that. Life is to short, mostly the LBS washes the bike and I dont mind if they charge me a wee bit extra.

So the key is to wipe of the excess. Do non black chains exist on normal bikes ?

Bwahhaha, yeah might need a bit more. Mine stay's pretty clean. But it gets run through a chain scrubber every wash and once a month or so (I don't ride much) into some parrafin to clean out gunk.

It is more the fact that track chains run in a straigh line, and thinner chains are being used on geared systems hence the chain "bends" side to side and that is where the "wear" comes from.

Take a thin chain and run it straight, it will also last a long time

This is also true.

• 9 months later...

I recently upgraded my drive train and I'm running a 10 spd SRAM chain with the provided quick link that came with the chain. I subsequently had the misfortune of snapping the chain whist out on the trails (I suspect dodgy workmanship on my part :blush: ). I hauled out the spare quick link form my toolbox and was up and riding again. This got me thinking, how many quick links can you have on a chain, is the integrity of the chain compromised in any way with 2 quick links or could I theoretically make a chain from scratch from quick links only!

I recently upgraded my drive train and I'm running a 10 spd SRAM chain with the provided quick link that came with the chain. I subsequently had the misfortune of snapping the chain whist out on the trails (I suspect dodgy workmanship on my part :blush: ). I hauled out the spare quick link form my toolbox and was up and riding again. This got me thinking, how many quick links can you have on a chain, is the integrity of the chain compromised in any way with 2 quick links or could I theoretically make a chain from scratch from quick links only!

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so go wild.

If you make a complete chain out of quicklinks you can disassemble it for cleaning between rides...

Archived