One Tonner 2014

Pure Savage

Get confident in bunch riding because this is a race where you want to work together, slipstream and not get left for dead on your own, especially if it is windy.

The truth, if you can stick to your bunch your race will be a bit harder than the usual 100km race but very doable, if you loose your bunch... Long, hard, hellishly tough day in the saddle

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of stops, so dont worry about riding with 10 bottles and a woolies bag of food, they give you banana's and snacks.

The only problem is that no group is going to stop and wait for you to fill up your water bottles (unless you ride with your DC buddies), so unless you plan to do a long solo ride plan carefully where you intend to stop.

The truth, if you can stick to your bunch your race will be a bit harder than the usual 100km race but very doable, if you loose your bunch... Long, hard, hellishly tough day in the saddle

Oh yeah, I was privilidged enough to get dropped into the wind due to some guys unhinging in front of me a couple of years ago, which left me up the creek... and on my own for the last 30 k's... into the wind... having done my share of work earlier up front. It was "interesting".

But in it again this year - and riding on my own. What the heck, will see where the other guys around me at the time stop! :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

After reading all the wind related comments, I had a look at accuweathers 45 day forecast :whistling:. Easterly winds during the day, changing to Northerly later....I dont intend on getting anyones hopes up LOL :ph34r: :ph34r:

After reading all the wind related comments, I had a look at accuweathers 45 day forecast :whistling:. Easterly winds during the day, changing to Northerly later....I dont intend on getting anyones hopes up LOL :ph34r: :ph34r:

Sounds like perfect wind conditions.

Could be a tailwind all day long. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I did this race on a 26er MTB last year...never again. Promptly went out and got a proper carbon road bike. Not going to be left in the wind on my own again after Malmesbury!! ;)

That's more or less correct. It also means it will change to a south easter once we hit Hermon...

It's summer, it's the Cape... odds are there'll be wind. That's just how it is. Let's roll...  :thumbup:

Oh wait, have to find my road bike first!  :ph34r:

Picked up all our team's PPA seedings yesteday, all E and above, so at least we will not be too far back. The earlier we can get out on the road the better :D

Hopefully I will meet some people can work together... I dont wanna cycle alone on the race!!! :'( hahahaha

Everyone forgets that no matter how strong the wind is, it will help at some point in the loop.

For sure.! But safe to say that most would like the "help" in the latter part of the loop. LOL

Getting excited for this.  My first one.  Max distance to date is 109kms so going to be interesting to see how the extra 54kms are gonna feel, especially after Amashova the week before!

Also entered and riding (Not racing, don't have the mileage in my legs for that. ) I'll be the chap progressively sliding backwards and hopping onto as many groups as I can to ease the route round where I can...

Archived