Road bike weight

'hamster

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A slow unfit rider will benefit more from a proper diet than a lighter bike. Can't recall at what speed aero becomes more important but its quite low.

I read somewhere, can't remeber where though, that aero becomes more important from about 37.5 km/h + speeds

So if you have to choose between 38mm wheels, and 50mm wheels, that basically weigh the same, you go for the 50mm wheels every time?

So if you have to choose between 38mm wheels, and 50mm wheels, that basically weigh the same, you go for the 50mm wheels every time?

Unless you planning on riding in cross winds.

There'll always be a weight difference though, unless its the Lightweight brand compared to, say, Mavic or Zipp

I read somewhere, can't remeber where though, that aero becomes more important from about 37.5 km/h + speeds

If it is there, where I suspect it will be, then there we go. For the majority of us plebs, weight is more importanter than aero.

I think its lower than that but can't recall the number.

I think its lower than that but can't recall the number.

If it's over 30kph then for me it's useless. We've already determined that I'm up shaite creek, on flat ground.

My 50mm hoops would always 'switch on' at about that speed, yes, palpably so

Edited by ' Dale

If it's over 30kph then for me it's useless. We've already determined that I'm up shaite creek, on flat ground.

On flat ground you should be a powerhouse! (provided you're aero of course :ph34r: )

Don't worry I've been sitting quietly in the background doing the calculations. We have the same average speed. I barely produce enough watts to light up an old style lightbulb.

Depends (in the case of wheels) on the depth of the rim or side profile.

Unless you planning on riding in cross winds.

No one ever plans that!

:D

My 50mm hoops would always 'switch on' at about that speed, yes, palpably so

Exactly

On flat ground you should be a powerhouse! (provided you're aero of course :ph34r: )

LOL. I'm anything but.

However, I can tuck quite well. And it always annoys roadies on their expensive bikes when they hear whirr whirr whirr whirr whirr and then see a 170mm all mountain machine with an okie in 5-10's, baggies and dayglo yellow top with a pink pisspot helmet and full finger gloves come rolling past them on the downs.