Courier Costs for Warranty Claim

Nicko

Hi Guys

Not sure if this has been discussed before, couldn't find a similar topic despite searching.

Anyway this is sort of a rant, not at any bike shop in particular, but more with the system I guess or the CPA.

So I bought a KS dropper post and now it's defective, so it's within warranty and I want to return it for repair/replacement etc.

Now apparently I have to pay the courier cost to return it to the online shop/supplier. This doesn't really seem fair to me, they should pay for it since it is a defect and in essence the problem has been caused by them.

(But I did read online that apparently according to the CPA and ECT act that it is my responsibility to pay for the return).

I dunno if anyone has any experience with this or 2c to share on this matter.

Cheers

Nick

As far as I know, you should take the item to the shop you bought it at, then the courier is between the shop and the supplier. That is the way I did it in the past

If you work direct with the supplier, you may be responsible for the courier cost, it also happened to me in the past.

My Garmin 510 broke... my lbs sorted it out with Garmin & I got a brand new unit within a week. I had to pay R180 courier though.

Done a bit more reading and apparently under s56 of the CPA, apparently I should pay no penalty for returning the item. i.e. I should not be liable for cost of return.

I live in durban and the online shop in question is from cape town. Don't want to mention their name just yet and give them bad rep on anything, cause they haven't done anything wrong yet. Just trying to find out my rights... so to speak.

It is a bit of a sticky one. In my industry, it is the clients responsibility to return the item to the shop it was purchased from (at their expense). If you bought it locally, no problem. However, if the purchase was not local, then you have to pay the courier costs. The supplier usually covers the courier costs between the retailer and themselves. That said, it is a difficult one. Best to try and buy local.

Are you the original owner with proof of receipt?

Lots of warranties only apply to original owners

Done a bit more reading and apparently under s56 of the CPA, apparently I should pay no penalty for returning the item. i.e. I should not be liable for cost of return.

I assume this refers to a handling fee or the costs incurred in sending the item back to the supplier (from the retailer). You should be able to take it back to the place you bought it from, without any financial penalty - but this is not possible with online sales as you may live far away. Like I said, always a difficult one.

Our policy - we always have the item returned at our cost, no matter where the client lives. This ensures a happy client that will more likely than not purchase again from us in the future.

Are you the original owner with proof of receipt?

Lots of warranties only apply to original owners

Indeed they do, this is a seperate issue altogether though.

Okay so looks like I'll have to pay courier costs to them at least, shouldn't be too much. Just wanted to find out what the correct procedure is and I'm not paying any money unnecessarily.

I live in durban and the online shop in question is from cape town. Don't want to mention their name just yet and give them bad rep on anything, cause they haven't done anything wrong yet. Just trying to find out my rights... so to speak.

Paying a courier is not a penalty. If you want to return it, then you have to pay the fees in order to facilitate that transaction. The online store didn't break it, so why do you expect them to pay for the courier fee? (Granted that it may be a different story if they sent you a brand new item that was defective straight out of the box, which I don't think is your case.)

Similar to the LBS charging you for a bike rebuild on a warranty replacement of a frame, unless you can rebuild it yourself (or in your case, take it to the store personally) you need to pay for the rebuild (courier.)

Paying a courier is not a penalty. If you want to return it, then you have to pay the fees in order to facilitate that transaction. The online store didn't break it, so why do you expect them to pay for the courier fee? (Granted that it may be a different story if they sent you a brand new item that was defective straight out of the box, which I don't think is your case.)

Similar to the LBS charging you for a bike rebuild on a warranty replacement of a frame, unless you can rebuild it yourself (or in your case, take it to the store personally) you need to pay for the rebuild (courier.)

Not expecting the Online bike shop to pay the courier fees, no way, the supplier (or importer) should pay in my mind. Since they've provided a product that lacks sufficient quality, therefore penalties should be their burden.

But I can see the flipside, cost of returns for ecommerce are not really factored into pricing of items, so it would ultimately push up the price of the item online. I guess this is the downside of online shopping, at least now I'm aware of this for when I make future online purchases.

Ahh, okay I see your angle now. But things unfortunately don't always work out that way unless the supplier is willing to do a favour in hope of return business.

Not expecting the Online bike shop to pay the courier fees, no way, the supplier (or importer) should pay in my mind. Since they've provided a product that lacks sufficient quality, therefore penalties should be their burden.

But I can see the flipside, cost of returns for ecommerce are not really factored into pricing of items, so it would ultimately push up the price of the item online. I guess this is the downside of online shopping, at least now I'm aware of this for when I make future online purchases.

I have purchased a frame from the states...will cost me a 1500 if I need to warranty it...is what it is like you said

Its one of those things that grates my balls too. Frame cracks under warranty. Take bike back to the shop and i still have to pay for the courier. One of lifes ways of screwing you over i guess.

From what I've heard (and i could be wrong), Chainreaction Cycles will cover the cost of transport on any warranty related claims.

If a company in the UK can cover the costs to SA, why can't a Cape Town company cover the costs to Durban. And they still complain when people buy from CRC and not local.

I had a warranty claim on a crankset. Had to pay the courier costs which annoys the crap out of me. When I have a warranty claim on my BMW, they don't charge me to courier the parts to the dealership. Daylight robbery if you ask me.

I agree with the consumer not having to pay if it is a legitimate warranty and not someone trying there luck (not saying this case) but it does happen, but then some one has to pay at the end of the day so the shop/supplier/manufacturer/shareholders pay ? and the cost just gets passed along the supply chain and the end result will be a more expensive product so the customer will pay in the end, flawed system.

Read some of the T&C's and some stipulate returns at customers expense.