What do you think of e-bikes on your favourite trail?

Karakoram

:clap: And we all know what regulations and laws in SA means ?

I will not take my family to trails where these bikes are allowed , like sending the kid out on her bike onto a MX track .

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap: And we all know what regulations and laws in SA means ?

I will not take my family to trails where these bikes are allowed , like sending the kid out on her bike onto a MX track .

That's rich coming from a betoger

If our club ever gets to vote about allowing off-road e-bikes on our trails, I will vote against granting permission. The trails were founded for mountain biking, and mountain biking is a human powered activity. Pure and simple. In the meantime, I think the term "human powered only" needs to be included in trail rules and cycling club's constitutions.

If a person wants to ride an off-road e-bike, it would be prudent set up dedicated e-bike clubs and trails for this purpose. I guess its going to be difficult. It was damn difficult to get mountain biking trails established and the permissions are fragile.

Edited by Karakoram

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/R-side_z.jpg

FOUND: USER CONFLICT ERADICATION MOPED DEATH MACHINE

TheAwesomer.com unearthed the future of mountain biking: the Survival Bike by Motoped. List everything you own on craigslist, and get ready for things to get real after the jump.

This masterpiece of DIY engineering has everything required to ride where wherever you damn well please including a crossbow, tomahawk, saw, tactical knife, tactical NECK knife, and a harpoon, because, you know, whales.

While the bike is aimed at the survivalist community, I portend its real role to be the utter elimination of any and all user conflict. The current turmoil over at Pinkbike regarding the impact of e-bikes will come to a swift end when Blacknose, ginger-wheels, and Elvenezeulan get a little re-education from the business end of the included Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow. How many hikers are going to show up at the next BLM meeting after a run in with a United Cutlery M48 Hawk Tomahawk? Horseback riders? Did I mention the $!%#@ Harpoon?

The Norcal Motoped dealer demonstrating frustration at current model’s lack of multiple tactical cutting tools

The complete list of Survival Bike accessories is an impressive showcase of some of the finest sharp and pointy things money can buy:

• Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow
  • Rotopax RX-1G Gas Packs – 1 Gallon
  • United Cutlery M48 Tactical Survival Shovel
  • United Cutlery M48 Hawk Tomahawk
  • United Cutlery M48 Hawk Harpoon
  • Gerber Fixed Blade Saw
  • Blackburn X6 Light System
  • Black Diamond Carabiners / Climbing rope
  • Cree Mini LED Flashlight
  • BioLogic Bike Mount for iPhone4/gps
  • Tool Logic Tactical Multifunction Knife / light
  • Tool Logic Credit Card Companion multi-tool
  • CRKT Guppie multi-tool
  • Tactical-Warrior Neck Knife [ed note: not clear if Knife is designed to wear around or insert into Neck]

Motoped is also bringing the wheel size debate to what I expect will be it’s final, brutal conclusion by designing their platform around a 26-inch front and 24-inch rear. Luckily, you can use the included Gerber saw to hack up your now obsolete 27.5 and 29-inch rims.

Unfortunately, there is no price for the complete Survival Bike. The $1,999 Motoped Rolling Chassis Kit includes suspension from DNM, an Answer cockpit, and Hayes brakes. You are on your own for the engine and all the fiddly bits like a throttle and gas tank, but the manufacturer estimates the cost at a mere $535. No word yet on pricing for pictured upgrades like the White Bros fork, or conversion rates from USD to GMO seed, Krugerrands, or any other common barter item.

The most benevolent leaders of Motoped have provided a glimpse of our harmonious future in this promotional video from their first, failed Kickstarter campaign. While you watch it, I’ll be working on my bunker.

Live and let live.

I once did a trail ride in the Baakens Valley with a 74 year old oomie riding with me on his e-bike. He had proper skill and negotiated the technical sections brilliantly. However he would not have been able to do this ride if he could not get the assistance from the motor up the steep hills and on the fast flats.

There are many people who would love to ride on MTB trails but age or disability prevents them from doing so. If e-bikes can put the smile back on their faces, why not?

Nico Vouilloz did some training on one of Lappierre's ebikes while he was recovering from an injury (love the part where he drops the roadies):

http://vimeo.com/92316948

Of course, if e-bikes allows people with disabilities or heck, even people who suffer from conditions like asthma to enjoy trails then definitely yes, but I think the concern is more in regards to cases where for instance, people recklessly speed up a climb with the motor etc. etc. etc. - the cases where regular cyclists safety are compromised by reckless etc. behaviour.

No. Nope. Never.

Too fast, too powerful, too easy to hack to be more powerful, impossible to regulate. Give them their own areas, maybe MX tracks ^_^

Think about it, if they're allowed to share trails with us, you'll have to worry about some bugger riding into the back of you while you're riding UP a hill.

But I'm a huge fan of such machines on-road - reckon that's the way the world's going.

saw this post after I typed my reply lol

No such thing as ZERO pollution, with electric bikes, the energy (electricity) is generated elsewhere (i.e. power plants).

Obviously, in everything there is embodied energy emissions. EVERYTHING.

I'm saying I don't want some clown blowing filthy black smoke on the single track that I cycle on.

I really dont care what people ride, as long as it doesnt make noise or smell.

also if you want too look like a idiot riding/ spending big bucks (only 5300 euros) to ride something like this, im all for it, haha

http://www.nicolai.net/files/01_11.jpg

http://attitudebikes.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/305133_190260544377426_128918397178308_458539_4961515_n.jpg

Looks like a shotgun with a cycling attachment

Price tag locally could limit numbers here.

YEP- I recently looked at the new Specialized ebike model- RRP for something like $6500. I tried finding the web page but couldn't. oh well

I rather think that e-bikes are nice commuter machines than sport machines. That said if you feel like a challenge and want to commute through rough terrain on trails then let it be so. Just do not shout get out of the way when you wizz past me on a hill.

I found this foldable e-bilke on eBay for $999. Looks like one can use it to travel Africa by boat, train, taxi, bus and then bike. Packing it out when public transport runs out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Junma-Folding-26-Mountain-bike-style-e-bike-ebike-electric-bicycle-/131260559002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e8fbd2e9a&_uhb=1

Price above is AU$. If this is allowed on Gautrain I might just buy it as the busses just do not reach my house or work. Also my work has no shower facility so the extra kick will save me some sweat.

I rather think that e-bikes are nice commuter machines than sport machines. That said if you feel like a challenge and want to commute through rough terrain on trails then let it be so. Just do not shout get out of the way when you wizz past me on a hill.

I found this foldable e-bilke on eBay for $999. Looks like one can use it to travel Africa by boat, train, taxi, bus and then bike. Packing it out when public transport runs out.

http://www.ebay.com....8fbd2e9a&_uhb=1

Someone posted earlier on this thread, a pic of one at Makro.

I'll try find it and a link

http://www.ebay.com....8fbd2e9a&_uhb=1

Someone posted earlier on this thread, a pic of one at Makro.

I'll try find it and a link

Here you go

http://www.makro.co....icycle-276646EA

post-3441-0-48662000-1407484203_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-71313700-1407484201_thumb.jpg