New radar device makes cycling safer

nonky

I quite like the idea for those solo rides on my TT rig. When I am cruising along on the aero bars it would be nice to have an inkling of what is happening behind, even if its just to move over to the edge of the road.

I think it is a good start !!! But I think when driver hit a cyclist they are normally doing something like using cellphone or drunk&sleeping....

I mean no intention on the road that's why a driver hit a person although a cyclist wear white or bright green clothes... :'(

See http://www.backtrack...cker.io/#/faq for some answers.

The flash interval increases as the object come closer, which might alert the driver 'subconsciously' : http://www.backtracker.io/#/the-device

As the data is available a speed measurement of approaching traffic (digital) on your handlebar display unit could perhaps have been a nice add-on :)

Good idea nevertheless! :)

Edited by Pieter-za

Read the article dude “Also, it’s functionality is not affected by the proximity of other cyclists, which is useful when training in pelotons or on family cycling excursions,”

I read it on the site before this post...

Can Backtracker see through a cyclist riding behind you?

Any obstructions behind Backtracker may have a negative impact on performance. These obstructions include cars and cyclists. In most cases Backtracker will still gather enough signal from a car to notify the cyclist, but you have to be aware that obstructions will reduce performance.

Gonna be a bit of a downer here... but to be honest I dont see the point in spending R2k for a fancy piece of tech that just replaces a mirror or looking over your shoulder which you will inevitably end up doing anyway, oh and if you are riding in a group it doesnt work either...

Also don't quite get. If your radar says there's two cars behind you, what exactly are you supposed to do?

I told one of my mates the other day, I would rather not want to know what's going on behind me.

We need some real user feedback...

Trying to get one I can demo for a few days to provide feedback

I will pay R2000 for a device that beeps in the Taxi to warn that a cyclist is ahead.

Nah..too risky...

There would just be 27 people instantly looking to see whos sent an sms.... including the driver...

bang !

Hau !!!

Edited by exsanguinator

Over R2,000! For this I would expect a camera relaying picture of what's going on behind you shown on your gps, smart phone or monitor

I had one of the prototype Backtracker units to try for the weekend. Spent about five hours on the bike with it. It works flawlessly, exactly as advertised. Within an hour or so I found myself trusting it to the extent that I would ride to the right of the yellow line where the road was smoother and glass-free until the green light on the Backtracker display went yellow, indicating an approaching car. I quickly learned to gauge how close the cars were based on where the dot was on the display (have a look at the videos on the site to see what I mean). Once the last car had passed and I had a green light again, I would move right, knowing that the next car was at least 150m away.

The device does not replace your road sense, but compliments it. It would detect a car before I could hear it, which was reassuring. I was a little more relaxed than normal having more information at my disposal about the traffic than usual.

The main benefit of the device is that the rear LED is interactive, i.e. it gets brighter and flashes more quickly the closer the car is. And it gets really bright. As far as I could tell, the cars on my regular route were giving me a little more space than usual, but that is subjective, perhaps it was just because it was a quiet Sunday afternoon :)

I like the simplicity of the device - it has not been over-engineered. It does one job very well. Personally I would like the display unit to be out on a stalk in front of my handlebars rather than on top of them - this would place it closer to my peripheral vision, meaning I would not have to look down as much to see it. There is a danger of becoming fixated on the display and not watching the road ahead. Another small issue is that the rear unit is rather wide and the way in which it mounts to the seat post made my thighs touch it when I was pushed back in the saddle (e.g. on a climb). It should perhaps be mounted differently so that it is positioned further back from the seat post.

Anyway, I liked it enough to order one! Good luck iKubu, I hope they fly off the shelves!