C4 Cycles Fail - FiT Sportslab Major Win

ValeYellow

Exactly 2 months ago I bought a pair of LG T-Flex MTB shoes from a bike shop that is literally on my doorstep. I know the owner and we get on pretty well, and over the past couple of months I have tried my best to support his business as best I can in buying various odds and ends from him. His shop is pretty new, only been around for a few months, and rather than supporting the bigger corporates, I always try to support "the little guy".

So, on 06 June 2014, I popped into his shop to see whatshoes he had as I was looking for a replacement pair. Saw the LG T-Flex shoes, tried them on and they felt great, therefore went ahead with the purchase. At the USN Cup held at Avianto this past weekend, slipped my shoes on, and proceeded to buckle them up and make final adjustment only to end up with the ratchet part breaking off. My shoes a never tight on my feet, always leave a little room, especially as Saturday seemed to be like a hot day and ones feet would swell.

So, take the shoes back, and the owner takes down my details and says he will order one for me. Today, have still not heard anything from him, so decide to pop past the shop. New ratchet system has not been ordered and he can only help me with a pair of SIDI ratchets which work just fine. So not being phased about too much about the brand of buckle, I agree to take the SIDI ones, to which I am then told they cost R50.00? Really???

Now not to drag this out any longer, I voiced my opion on wanting to charge me R50 for a new buckle, which in my view should not have broken after two months? I am then told that these things are made to break and that there is no "warrenty" if you like on this type of thing - and I need to part with R50 for the SIDI buckle, or pay a lot more the original LG one which he will order. I expalined my logic by saying that that makes about as much sense as buying a new bike, and two months later I come back cause the rear stay has snapped for example - what then, does the same logic of "these things are made to break" apply, and that I would need to cough up for a new frame? Yes I know this may be a bad example due to certain circumstances, but I think you guys get my drift.

Anyways, I eventually said that here is R50 for the SIDI buckles, and consider it the last R50 that he will see from me again.

So, my question to my fellow hubbers, am I being daft / unrealistic in expecting them to replace the buckle at no cots to me? I can post pics if needs be, the shoes and buckles are practically brand new? It really is not about the money, its the principle of the matter.

I would really love to hear what you guys, and maybe even what one of the FiT guys here on the hub have to say in this regard.

EDIT: Once I have heard back from everyone, I will either eat humble pie or name and shame.....

Edited by ValeYellow

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have same shoes & had it & used it for much longer than 2 months, could be a year now. I ratchet mine tight cause I like it snug & firm & my feet are thin. I ride hard & have fallen plenty of times, yet my ratchet have not broken. So Yes, you are being daft / unrealistic in expecting them to replace the buckle at no cost to you" but i feel your pain.

I took my motorbike for a service 25th June, 26th July i discovered the side panel clip has been broken off, it can only be them during the service as I don't scratch where it doesn't itch, I call the regional manager, he says cause i waited so long to notify them, the best they can do is give me a new replacement, less 50% I'm still pissed off about it, but accepted the offer, if I refuse it & try & fight it, I may end up with nothing, time & effort & possibly money wasted.

You win some, you lose some.

As I see it you are unrealistic:

- As LBS said, those parts carry no warranty

- He tried to HELP you out, and for that you feel ripped off?!

- The LG part would have been way more, but he gave you an alternative at a good price, which he would need to buy. So why are you then unwilling to pay for it? It makes no sense.

- I speak under correction, but pretty sure LG is not an ASG brand. They need not comment on their (sidi) part being used for something else.

- It sounds like you have an issue with the LBS, for something that has nothing to do with them. Moan about LG then if you need to vent (over 50 bucks)

Stuff breaks, you should be happy with the assistance and advice you got from LBS to sort something that was neither a warranty issue nor their problem.

Not sure why I thought ASG were the agents - but all fixed now :thumbup:

Pulse & Tumbleweed, I hear what you are saying, however, lets look at this scenario. Either of you guys go into Cape Union Mart and purchase a pair of Merrell hiking boots. Two months later, the stiching (wherever on the shoe) starts to come undone. Would you guys take it as an oh well **** happens - cause afterall stuff breaks?

Also, it is not about the R50 either, as originally mentioned. Its the principal of the matter, as well as that I honestly cannot believe the BS of, well they are made to break.

You go buy a very pricey pair of MTB shoes, ones for like 4k, and the ratchet breaks,you telling me that you will just take it on the chin - highly doubt it....

Edited by ValeYellow

Also, it is not about the R50 either, as originally mentioned. Its the principal of the matter, as well as that I honestly cannot believe the BS of, well they are made to break.

You go buy a very pricey pair of MTB shoes, ones for like 4k, and the ratchet breaks,you telling me that you will just take it on the chin - highly doubt it....

The problem is in this case the ratchets are like laces. So sort of a wear and tear item. So your hiking shoe analogy doesn't 100% work. Like you said, school fees. Although in this case the problem might be more LG's warranty conditions rather than the bike shop. IF they took the time to take it up with the suppliers, if they didn't then they don't want your money I suppose. So you were right to move on.

The problem is in this case the ratchets are like laces. So sort of a wear and tear item. So your hiking shoe analogy doesn't 100% work. Like you said, school fees. Although in this case the problem might be more LG's warranty conditions rather than the bike shop. IF they took the time to take it up with the suppliers, if they didn't then they don't want your money I suppose. So you were right to move on.

absolutely - but if they were normal shoe laces I could completley understand, but for a system that has been engineered by someone to make sure that they perform better than a lace, hmmm......

I guess my grip is more in the way it was handled.....

right,

thanks to all for your feedback, really appreciate it. my conclusion is that my gripe is more aligned in the way the bike shop handled this whole story, and for that, i will not go back. As mentioned, I paid the R50 for the replacement SIDI buckles, so my shoes are hundreds again. Name and shame the bike shop, nope wont be doing that, as the people of the hub have spoken, and I am eating a healthy portion of humble pie. Really should have just gone to the suppliers directly and had my vent there with them.

School Fees paid.... moving on.....

Happy & Safe Riding All :clap:

Edited by ValeYellow

right,

thanks to all for your feedback, really appreciate it. my conclusion is that my gripe is more aligned in the way the bike shop handled this whole story, and for that, i will not go back. As mentioned, I paid the R50

There is no truer saying than: "You are only as good as your last stuff up." Screw ups and problems happen, how it's handled always make the difference, case in point the Hulkcrowave from yesterday.

Vale, I have to admit I would also be pissed off. I'm in the market for new shoes and considered the LG shoes purely out of looks and reputation. Saw this on their website:

"I have a problem with something I bought, what can I do?

(CANANDA & INTERNATIONAL)– Our products carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase. Claims must be addressed with the initial proof of purchase to an authorized Louis Garneau Sports Inc. dealer and be treated by the latter in compliance with the return and warranty policies set forth by Louis Garneau Sports Inc.

(USA)– Our products carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase. You must return the item where you bought the item. If you bought the item directly from Louis Garneau, you may contact Customer Service."

You could possibly talk to the shop owner and request he takes this up with them? Does he have documentation that states the buckles are not under warranty?

Sorry boys but I disagree. I understand that the ratchets were not covered under warranty, however I feel after two months coming back with a fault and telling him that not covered is wrong. I have a jewellery store and whilst it's not the same scene, if I sell an expensive watch and comes back with a broken glass, I explain obviously not under warranty but due to it being recently purchased I'll have it repaired and charge him what they charge me. However, if it comes back after two months and the hands have fallen off, I'll carry the cost myself because you can't reasonably pay that kind of money and have it returned after two months due to an obvious defect with that particular pair. I feel the owner should have replaced the ratchets without an argument and then taken it up with supplier.Now he has lost a customer over a paltry R50? Not the brightest move

Edited by Abercrombie

Vale, I have to admit I would also be pissed off. I'm in the market for new shoes and considered the LG shoes purely out of looks and reputation. Saw this on their website:

"I have a problem with something I bought, what can I do?

(CANANDA & INTERNATIONAL)– Our products carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase. Claims must be addressed with the initial proof of purchase to an authorized Louis Garneau Sports Inc. dealer and be treated by the latter in compliance with the return and warranty policies set forth by Louis Garneau Sports Inc.

(USA)– Our products carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase. You must return the item where you bought the item. If you bought the item directly from Louis Garneau, you may contact Customer Service."

You could possibly talk to the shop owner and request he takes this up with them? Does he have documentation that states the buckles are not under warranty?

I would assume that if he did he would have shown me to prove his point.

ok so what I have done is that I have gone straight to the suppliers with this. I have supplied photos of the shoes and buckles / ratchet so that they can see what condition they are in.

Will let you all know what their response is.