Route markings with paint in pristine landscapes. F****!!!

HAKAHANA TRAILS

I had the privilege today of doing a chilled ride in the far western end of the Magaliesberg, just past Mooinooi and Buffels Dam. At one part of the trail (on an authorized private property) I came across white markings in white paint, painted directly onto the rocks, at almost every 5-10m!!!!!!! This really upset me, as I used to walk a lot of these trails as part of MCSA. This is a protected and pristine ecology. But I was real pissed when a local labourer informed me the markings were for a 'bicycle race' a few weeks ago. Does anyone know who is responsible for this?

This will KILL our sport and access to these pristine environments!!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was temporary markings for a single race only, then I think it is simply vandalism of the worst kind and the organiser should be forced to remove it. If it is marking for a permanent route and it was done with minimal impact, I think it is acceptable. Many hiking routes are marked in this way with a paint mark of a footprint. Used correctly, it is long lasting and effective. It cost little and it has minimal impact ecologically. It is likely more eco friendly than wooden, plastic or metal signboards.

If it was temporary markings for a single race only, then I think it is simply vandalism of the worst kind and the organiser should be forced to remove it. If it is marking for a permanent route and it was done with minimal impact, I think it is acceptable. Many hiking routes are marked in this way with a paint mark of a footprint. Used correctly, it is long lasting and effective. It cost little and it has minimal impact ecologically. It is likely more eco friendly than wooden, plastic or metal signboards.

Personally I dont think permanent paint is acceptable anywhere in such a pristine environment. And if there are no other options then at least on the back of loose rocks that can be turned over. I am sorry i didnt have my phone to take photos. You have never seen anything like it. Sometimes 5-7 markings in a 10m zone. It looks like they painted every sharp rock that cause damage to a tyre!!! sometimes long stripes like the paintbrush was just dragged over the rocks from the back of a bike!! It is seriously wrong. The organizers and sponsors need to be held to account on this, unless someone can convince me the paint will miraculously disappear.

Personally I dont think permanent paint is acceptable anywhere in such a pristine environment. And if there are no other options then at least on the back of loose rocks that can be turned over. I am sorry i didnt have my phone to take photos. You have never seen anything like it. Sometimes 5-7 markings in a 10m zone. It looks like they painted every sharp rock that cause damage to a tyre!!! sometimes long stripes like the paintbrush was just dragged over the rocks from the back of a bike!! It is seriously wrong. The organizers and sponsors need to be held to account on this, unless someone can convince me the paint will miraculously disappear.

The trouble with removing paint, is that the stuff you use to remove it with is even worse for the environment. :thumbdown:

We are busy with trails in Magalies and one of the major gripes with landowners is the amount of horrible looking route markers sloppily painted onto rocks, signs etc (not even stones you can turn over). I was told it was 'bio degradeable' paint, however after a good few years those markings are still there, the white runny arrows, the pink/red crosses, blobs of blue etc. I must add through not all of it is from cycling events, there have been quad events and motorbike events as well (it seems these guys are using coloured stickers these days thankfully). I also had the same complaint with race organisers about why we need route markings every 3m or less! Surely people need to use their heads a bit, you don't get markers when you are out in the Drakensburg! Now it seems we have a problem as one of the landowners caught cyclists following these markings on his property and it appears there was a bit of a set to about it. We have a meeting with him on Sunday so lets hope it can be overlooked, otherwise we will lose an important connecting section.

Edited by Mojoman

We are busy with trails in Magalies and one of the major gripes with landowners is the amount of horrible looking route markers sloppily painted onto rocks, signs etc (not even stones you can turn over). I was told it was 'bio degradeable' paint, however after a good few years those markings are still there, the white runny arrows, the pink/red crosses, blobs of blue etc. I must add through not all of it is from cycling events, there have been quad events and motorbike events as well (it seems these guys are using coloured stickers these days thankfully). I also had the same complaint with race organisers about why we need route markings every 3m or less! Surely people need to use their heads a bit, you don't get markers when you are out in the Drakensburg! Now it seems we have a problem as one of the landowners caught cyclists following these markings on his property and it appears there was a bit of a set to about it. We have a meeting with him on Sunday so lets hope it can be overlooked, otherwise we will lose an important connecting section.

Know how you feel. We should talk

Eish, doesn't sound attractive at all Johan. Hope it is something that will fade...

I was horrified at all the pink spray paint on the sandstone at our Swampdogs trails for Farmasutra Single Speed event. But just a few months later it had all completely disappeared.