29er or 27.5 for stage race

Gringo

Advice?

I am a taller rider (L frame) but was just wandering what would be better? I know the 27.5 is good in the technical stuff yet the 29er is good on the long open stuff.

But for longer stage races (75-100km per day), wouldn't the 29er be better?

Sorry, just confused...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For marathon events the 29er would be better, but if you're planning to have a bit of fun on singletrack when you're not racing then my money would be on 650b.

Depends how many bikes you're planning on buying, I guess...

I learned that in my case the size of the bike wouldn't impact on my performance as much as my laziness during training did..

Buy your bike to fit to what / how / where you ride 95% of the times.

To get a bike for that "once off" ride / race is a bit out.

The rest must just fit in.

you've got zero chance of getting some good advice here...

first problem is that you'll get reprimanded on your spelling and secondly NOBODY, and I really mean NOBODY on the hub agrees on wheel size.

first problem is that you'll get reprimanded on your spelling and secondly NOBODY, and I really mean NOBODY on the hub agrees on wheel size.

Depends on how often you do the longer rides ? I have a 29er and I should have gone for a 650b as most of the time I am trailing the mountains on the weekend doing singletrack...my 5c worth

But then again I'm 175cm and APPARENTLY I'm perfect height for a 650b #justsayin

Buy your bike to fit to what / how / where you ride 95% of the times.

To get a bike for that "once off" ride / race is a bit out.

The rest must just fit in.

Agree with Niner_boy, the best bike is the one you are used to & comfortable with, you should do a stage race on the same bike you use for everyday riding. Your daily ride preference should be the deciding factor, not the once-off stage race. The "better" wheelsize between the two is very much subjective, in the end it's down to your personal preference.

You already have the answer when you said you are tall .The few tight technical sections are less than 10% of any long stage of any event .Mankele probably has the most and i was flying thru those bushtunnels with a XL Tallboy .29 er You also need the extra traction for the climbs

No, I don't care how he spells 650B :ph34r:

Thanks Guys.

I have a 650B and find it lacking in speed when riding with other 29ers (Maybe I must just be honest with myself, it is my legs,hahaha)

Thanks Guys.

I have a 650B and find it lacking in speed when riding with other 29ers (Maybe I must just be honest with myself, it is my legs,hahaha)

Where is it slower? If on straight sections then yes, the larger wheel carries more momentum and therefore less energy to maintain speed. If on tighter sections, then the smaller wheel will accelerate faster, so you shouldn't lose there. If you are then it's your fitness or skill compared to the others.

My wife and I have been riding for 2 years now. 3 months ago, we upgraded her bike from a small 26er hardtail to a Giant Anthem XW dual suspension 29er. She is only 1,6m tall. The difference the bigger wheels have made has been incredible. She tackles the technical downhills and rocky uphills with far more confidence than before. I am a huge Van Gaalens fan but she used to hate that place due to all the walking she did. 2 weeks ago she was able to ride the whole of the concrete road, pofadder, oom piet and greek church. The 29er wheels has taken her level of enjoyment to a whole new level.

It doesn't matter. The difference between the two will be negligible, at most. Go ride both and buy what you like.

Archived