Winning a prize from overseas, Duty paid?

deanbean

I won 2 competitions where delivery was from Italy Met helmet & Bmc team signed jersey from USA.

Jersey was delivered to post office, no charge.

Helmet to Customs where I just had to produce email as proof that I won.

guys its simple. if its a prize and marked as a prize it is not taxable. unless of course it is in your usual business interests.

i professional gambler will pay tax on his winnings. joe soap who wins the lotto wont.

joe soap who wins the lotto will pay tax - but not as income, as a capital gain

• 2 weeks later...

Shot Barry. I'm sure I will. How you handling.

All good, mate! Had a fairly chilled day at the shop today. Got my other results back this morning. Bloods are back to normal. Pulse rate is down to 65, so being sick actually made me fit - Hahahahaha! Treated myself to a Nalini shirt at the shop today - not quite as nice as the Assos stuff you got - but it's encouraged me to get back on the bike a bit!

All good, mate! Had a fairly chilled day at the shop today. Got my other results back this morning. Bloods are back to normal. Pulse rate is down to 65, so being sick actually made me fit - Hahahahaha! Treated myself to a Nalini shirt at the shop today - not quite as nice as the Assos stuff you got - but it's encouraged me to get back on the bike a bit!

ALL GOOD NEWS........and some kit to wear......Awesome!!!!

PS: most important part of training (and health) ....... R,R&R

(Rest, Recovery and Recuperation)

guys its simple. if its a prize and marked as a prize it is not taxable. unless of course it is in your usual business interests.

i professional gambler will pay tax on his winnings. joe soap who wins the lotto wont.

Erm, hate to tell you but lotto winnings ARE taxed. There's a 10% inclusion rate, so 10% of your winnings are included in your annual income.

Awesome news Tumbles!

That's great news

Lucky no duties!

A warranty replacement was sent to me at no charge from the brands company headquarters in Denmark, delivered by UPS and arrived with a bill of R600 for import duties, I refused to pay the duties and the brand ended up covering them. Happened again when an item I sent to Eu was turned back at the EU customs, when it re-entered Sa our customs charged me R500 import duties to receive my own personal belongings back, DHL made the stuff up that meant it couldn't be delivered in Eu so I obliged them to cover all the duties, which they did. Both times customs did not want to hear anything, you either pay the duties or the item won't be released, discussion over.