Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Hoping to. Weather and invite depending.

I see last year the invites were already out by the 14th of Feb and entries for the second lap closed 21 Feb, so I won't be holding my breath for an invite.

Seems that if you want to do that second lap it has to be "unofficial"

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some advice from me.

I would take it easy this week. Rather skip Killarney this week as those can be quite high intensity sessions. Do a few zone 1 and 2 rides for an hour or two and be well rested.

The last few days leading up to the Argust do a few high intensity sessions but still keep the duration short. Ideally you want rested legs that you then start waking up or opening for the event.

This strategy has worked well for me lately.

Thanks for advise, will stick with slower group then as I do enjoy the Killarney evenings (nice to just ride and not worry about being run over!), will skip Thursday Killarney and do a easy ride in the morning.

Week before CTCT just do some short sharp sessions.

I see last year the invites were already out by the 14th of Feb and entries for the second lap closed 21 Feb, so I won't be holding my breath for an invite.

Seems that if you want to do that second lap it has to be "unofficial"

any A Batch, $, #, or whateva the heck they are coming past me for a second lap and telling me hold my line can go jump in the great big fish pond, which will either be on their left or right.

If you going to do an illegal second lap, at least be courteous and respectful of those struggling to just get one lap in. Oh yes, pushing your girlfriend/boyfriend along to get a better time and screaming to all and sundry to get out the way... well you know what you can do with that pump hey?

if you have enough energy to race your second lap too then you didn't push hard enough during your first :blink:

personally i would shmaak to do the 2nd lap, but just to soak up the vibe a bit more (obviously not race it) the 2nd time around.

havent seen any details bout it tho (good thing as im not too keen to fork out cash for another entry fee)

any A Batch, $, #, or whateva the heck they are coming past me for a second lap and telling me hold my line can go jump in the great big fish pond, which will either be on their left or right.

If you going to do an illegal second lap, at least be courteous and respectful of those struggling to just get one lap in. Oh yes, pushing your girlfriend/boyfriend along to get a better time and screaming to all and sundry to get out the way... well you know what you can do with that pump hey?

Wheel sucking? Is it ok to use the 2nd lappers for such a dastardly deed? They could be quite useful for the backmarkers. :whistling:

I have been warned.

I never carry a tube at a race anymore since I ride tubeless - my plan was to pick up 2 tubes on my way to the second lap and to see whether I could assist some (female??) riders along the way. I was hoping to cruise along and make the trip really worthwhile. I wont do this illegally though because I don't roll that way.

Have a good ride...

I have been warned.

I never carry a tube at a race anymore since I ride tubeless - my plan was to pick up 2 tubes on my way to the second lap and to see whether I could assist some (female??) riders along the way. I was hoping to cruise along and make the trip really worthwhile. I wont do this illegally though because I don't roll that way.

Have a good ride...

That's what we did last year, took along a whole bunch of tubes and bombs. used them all, some very happy campers that day.

We also did some pushing.

...................... my plan was to pick up 2 tubes on my way to the second lap and to see whether I could assist some (female??) riders along the way.............

That's what we did last year, took along a whole bunch of tubes and bombs. used them all, some very happy campers that day.

We also did some pushing.

I used to ride "support" for AMARider in the Argus MTB rides and that is exactly what we did. We started at the tail end of a starting group and carried at least 5 or 6 tubes, a pump, multitool and a few chain quick-links. The idea was to help people on single track where the sweep vehicles couldn't get to them, but we ended up helping anyone, anywhere. Turned out a very rewarding thing to do.

Edit: we also picked up discarded tubes, bombs and water bottles! That pissed me off! 

I used to ride "support" for AMARider in the Argus MTB rides and that is exactly what we did. We started at the tail end of a starting group and carried at least 5 or 6 tubes, a pump, multitool and a few chain quick-links. The idea was to help people on single track where the sweep vehicles couldn't get to them, but we ended up helping anyone, anywhere. Turned out a very rewarding thing to do.

Edit: we also picked up discarded tubes, bombs and water bottles! That pissed me off! 

ditto,

what a JOLL :)

I decided that if I am riding and I see someone in need I will offer help, Saturday the amount of cyclists that stop to offer me help when I got a flat was great. If I miss out on my Target time because I helped someone then that is no issue for me.

Hey. Doing my first Cycle Tour this year and hoping to do a decent time. Any advice on how quick to go at different points? When to sprint and when to save yourself...?

Also what speeds to go at(hoping to do around 4h)?

In the magazine, and I would think on the website is an very accurate breakdown of when to be a what checkpoint. According to the time you are going for.

Get to know where these points are. And drive the route before so you get a geel for it.

But have fun on your first one. Enjoy the vibe.

Archived