Goodbye Eagle Canyon Cycles

Flashfozzy

Does anyone know why Tony and Jacques decided to sell?

Have always considered it very hard to make a living from a LBS given the amount of stock you have to carry (with none of in on consignment unless you are CL size)

So was wondering whether they struggled or cashed out (was not overly impressed with the shop but hope it was the latter nonetheless)

Don't about Jacques, but Tony may have been a bit out of pocket over an out-of-court settlement?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will support any initiative/shop where Conrad (Cg-S on the Hub) is involved. He has always been helpful at everything, gone an extra mile to help, even when he did not have any monetary gain to make. I have found his prices to be very reasonable, is very knowledgeable about many things, and in his garage, he usually pulls out the right part all the time. Good luck to you in your new venture :clap: :thumbup:

So, in follow up to my comment, I decided to go and visit Conrad's setup. Really cannot understand the negative comments. The bikeshop was full of bikes and accessories, so much so, that it appears quite full already, and will have to start organizing their spaces properly. It will always be difficult to take over someone else's shop, and need time and money, to start getting it to your own style. I spent some time there just walking about and looked at just about everything. The laaitjie or youngster as the earlier posts referred to Conrad's son, should realise that given the chance, he too will become as good as his Dad. Even if I trek across town to get to his facility, I will be supporting their efforts in future. Good luck guys :clap: :thumbup:

I have always supported Jaques and them and I havent been to their shop in a while. I went past there in Sat only to find out they dont own it anymore. I met Conrad and his Son. They had handlebars that I wanted in stock and the wheels I wanted they got for me on the same day. I will keep on supporting them because they WANT to help. They are starting out so it might be slow but I would like to see anyone start out and be as impressive as these guys.

I got to know conrad while he was still operating from his house,bought most of my current mtb parts from him,and will continue to do so. It is obvious also,that the cost of running 2 shops will put a increase on the prices,but in my opinion he is still a lot cheaper.

Conrad is a great guy to do business with.

I've traveled a few times to Randpark Ridge already as he is always prepared to help.

Good luck Conrad.

• 1 month later...

Have dealt with Conrad in the past, great guy and avid cyclist. Bought my son's carbon road bike from him (prepped to spec). Got a great deal and absolutely great service. The ECC looks promising. Will definitely support him.

All the best to Conrad, Chaunce and the Team !

• 2 weeks later...

I must say Eagle Canyon has seriously impressed me, I just took my bike in to get the brakes changed and bled and out of their own they fixed my leaking tubeless tyre.... its been giving me headaches for weeks now and I completely forgot to ask them to have a look at it when I took it in.

I will never take any of my bikes anywhere else again :thumbup:

I must say Eagle Canyon has seriously impressed me, I just took my bike in to get the brakes changed and bled and out of their own they fixed my leaking tubeless tyre.... its been giving me headaches for weeks now and I completely forgot to ask them to have a look at it when I took it in.

I will never take any of my bikes anywhere else again :thumbup:

I must agree. Was very skeptical to take my bike there after many years of great service from Jacques and Tony. Have to say Conrad and his team have impressed me. There service is great and there prices aren't bad either. They also have lots of stock.

West Rand Cycles is tops - I supported them for years. No longer support them as much as I used to 'cos they are now a Specialized Concept store and I only ride Giant. They still go out of their way to help tho....

In Ruimsig, Dave at the Bruce's Cycles branch is very helpful, if a bit low on stock.

After supporting Eagle Canyon Cycles from the start, I was shocked to walk in there on Friday to be greeted with a nearly empty shop and a youngster who looked very much like a Cajee Cycles employee.

Sad to see the only known face was the mechanic, Josh. Who like always did his best to help with very limited resources.

Apparently it was sold to new owners 3 weeks ago.

Sorry but i will not be back

So you wont go back because its a new shop with limited resources (its new, not surprising) and because some guy looked like he is from Cajees. hahahahaha, well done.

My mate bought a bike from them 2 days ago, service from both the 'young Cajees employee' and the father was brilliant. I recently bought a frame from there store on Beyers and the service there was great as well.

West Rand Cycles is tops - I supported them for years. No longer support them as much as I used to 'cos they are now a Specialized Concept store and I only ride Giant. They still go out of their way to help tho....

In Ruimsig, Dave at the Bruce's Cycles branch is very helpful, if a bit low on stock.

Good man  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the new owner no luck

Took my wifes bike in to have a 170 compact crank fitted, isntead of the 172.5 normal crank.

They changed the seatpost level and screwed up the gears, took it back took them 3 hours to get the gears semi right and they guy consistently telling me the clustered is the problem, yet the cluster is 4 months old, squeky clean and damage shown.

2 Weeks later her gears act up again, so I hear that cyclist workshop moved to northriding and they are quite good.

As the guys to remove a chainlink from my track bike, straighten the wheel, sort out my wifes gears and replace a cable. I come back in the afternoon, gears still stuffed, and tells me its to difficult to change the cable. sigh and he charged me R250, for what? R150 to true the wheel and R100 to not fix the gears...?

Eventually I went to Cycletech in kayalami, finally got some service, at decent prices. just to bad they are so far.

Anyone know of good LBS in randburg?

I have tried the new owner no luck

Took my wifes bike in to have a 170 compact crank fitted, isntead of the 172.5 normal crank.

They changed the seatpost level and screwed up the gears, took it back took them 3 hours to get the gears semi right and they guy consistently telling me the clustered is the problem, yet the cluster is 4 months old, squeky clean and damage shown.

2 Weeks later her gears act up again, so I hear that cyclist workshop moved to northriding and they are quite good.

As the guys to remove a chainlink from my track bike, straighten the wheel, sort out my wifes gears and replace a cable. I come back in the afternoon, gears still stuffed, and tells me its to difficult to change the cable. sigh and he charged me R250, for what? R150 to true the wheel and R100 to not fix the gears...?

Eventually I went to Cycletech in kayalami, finally got some service, at decent prices. just to bad they are so far.

Anyone know of good LBS in randburg?

Contact Stefan At Cycle Success. Full workshop at home and excellent service. I'll pm his no to you

Edited by Broker