Bike Choice - Giant Anthem 29 vs Silverback Strada 1

Etienne Van Niekerk

Just to add fuel to the fire.

i moved from an anthem to a Silverback Sprada 1.

The suspension is a lot similar to maestro. More travel. Better wheels.

I am absolutely in love with the silverback. IMO it is a better bike. I found the Giant cockpit too tight, and the head angle to relaxed.

If you are 185+ in height, the silverback will probably suit you better like in my instance.

OH, and Giant do not offer lifetime warranty.. it is 5 years.

Silverback is 3 years

when did they change from lifetime to 5 years?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully agree there, I went from an Anthem to a Trance, loving the Trance, and it's not slower IMO, what little you loose on the ups you more than make up for on the downs! And the smile is much bigger on the downs too ????

Edited by Mpati29

Found this on the Giant website regarding the wararnty.

Welcome to the official warranty activation site for all Giant Bicycles purchased in South Africa.

Giant Bicycle Co. Pty Ltd warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant bicycle to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. The Giant warranty is applicable to all models in the Giant Bicycle range and to bicycles that are sold in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer.

You lot actually made me have a look at this bike. I never have and I do not know why. It immediately cuts the price range down for a well respected bike.

These okes do not usually give 5 stars but the Anthem X 2013 model got full marks. And the 2014 27.5 Model got 4.5 Stars

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-giant-anthem-x-29er-1-13-47170/

From a suspension travel perspective you really should be comparing the Trance to the Sprada.

Geometry wise the Sprada is again more comparable to the Anthem.

IMO, if the Anthem and the Trance were to ever have a love child, the result will be the Sprada, especially looking at the 2015 bike.

Personally, I prefer the look of the Anthem over the Trance and that is why I got the 2014 model. Still loving the ride and cannot fault it.

Also had a look at the love child but didn't like the paint scheme - the 2014 model that is.

The 2015 Sprada 1 on the other hand is a mighty fine looking bike...

There has been a plethora of threads on Anthem vs. Another; 9 out of 10 times the Anthem comes out on top based on opinion of hubbers.

when did they change from lifetime to 5 years?

probably 2 years ago

They call it a limited lifetime warranty. if you read the fineprint, it says 5 years

Silverback also advertises limtited lifetime warranty - 3 years for alu frames

probably 2 years ago

They call it a limited lifetime warranty. if you read the fineprint, it says 5 years

Silverback also advertises limtited lifetime warranty - 3 years for alu frames

Giant Bicycle Co. Pty Ltd warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant bicycle to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. The Giant warranty is applicable to all models in the Giant Bicycle range and to bicycles that are sold in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer.

cool didn't know it changed. thanks

last time I checked it was 5 years for suspension frames

Edited by 4u2nv

Had and Anthem, test drove the Sprada last weekend. It rolls better and has better wheels and hubs than the Anthem. Found the ride to be smoother than the Anthem. Having said that I would still buy the Anthem, it makes for a better re sale afterwards. 6 of the one and half a dosen of the other. :blink: :wacko:

I have an Anthem. I love it. To the point where I could say I never have bike envy at any event or trail.

You could buy the Silverback, and always have the Anthem in the back of your mind, and wonder if it really is as good as everyone says it is...

Edited by StevieL

Anthem great bike I had the 2013 X1 gave it to my wife and now have a 2014 Carbon/Alu Spaz Camber lets just say the Spaz is in a different league. I also question the life time warranty on asking the LBS who I bought from confirmed 5 years