SRAM XO Trail brakes

B20

I just upgraded my Epic's Formula brakes with new SRAM XO Trail brakes. 

What a difference!!! 

They are amazing.

Hell, if I don't wear glass my eyes will pop out.

Apart from the Epic's standard Formula's brakes seals going twice during the Warranty period, stopping my 91kg's downhill became to much for them to handle. (The Formula used 180mm rotors in front)

It did not do my nerves any good either.

The new SRAM Trail brakes utilises 4 pod callipers and 160mm rotors from and rear.

This is no Scientific test, but going downhill at 22km per hour on a 6% decline it stopped me within 2.5m.

Great job SRAM!!

I am also in the market for a new set .Currently on Avid CR .Anybody know the difference between the XO trail  and avid guide brakes

I have had my XO trails for almost 2 years now and they are absolutely amamizing,curious to see what the Guides are like

Also looking for new brakes, currently running Avid elixir 5, the levers are rattling and on hard pull, shutter feedback through the rotors with awful sound.

Would like to hear your feedback after a month use?

I am also in the market for a new set .Currently on Avid CR .Anybody know the difference between the XO trail  and avid guide brakes

Calipers are the same. Levers are different. Guides deliver variable brake pressure, so theoretically better modulation.

Hi B20

I'm just not able to help myself, I really tried  :ph34r:

Happy to hear you like your SRAM XO Trails, however I'm sorry to inform you that they are NOT that amazing, at least not when you compare them to SHIMANO XT(XTR), especially when you include Ice-Tech Rotors into the equation.

You also mention you had reliability issues with the Formula's, don't expect the Avid's to be bulletproof or without  “turkey gobble”.

Lastly, don't know why you put "trail"quad-piston brakes on an Epic, it's just a bit silly.

Yeti, down boy!!!

Since I am not racing against Nino or Carl, I am quite happy with what was suggested to me and fitted by a Spez dealer.  I prefer SRAM over Shimano.

Money is no object, so if these one's don't last I'll replace them with something else.

Thanx for your 2 cents. 

B20, I echo your response. I just spent two weeks DH'ling some of the craziest trails in France. They stood up well to the task and were paired with 180 at the back and 203 rotor up front on my Giant Reign XO. Some gobbling but that was pad brand specific...otherwise great feel and response and stopping power deluxe

Here w

Hi B20

I'm just not able to help myself, I really tried :ph34r:

Happy to hear you like your SRAM XO Trails, however I'm sorry to inform you that they are NOT that amazing, at least not when you compare them to SHIMANO XT(XTR), especially when you include Ice-Tech Rotors into the equation.

You also mention you had reliability issues with the Formula's, don't expect the Avid's to be bulletproof or without “turkey gobble”.

Lastly, don't know why you put "trail"quad-piston brakes on an Epic, it's just a bit silly.

Here we go again another Sram basher,go and look at other forums where they bash them,the man is not asking for your 2 cents bashing. It's really getting long in the tooth this DISSING of Sram,just remember that all the other brands have their issue as well,get over it and move on.

Yeti, down boy!!!

Since I am not racing against Nino or Carl, I am quite happy with what was suggested to me and fitted by a Spez dealer. I prefer SRAM over Shimano.

Money is no object, so if these one's don't last I'll replace them with something else.

Thanx for your 2 cents.

Makes sense... It's probably all (or most expensive) brakes the spez dealer had in stock. They saw you coming bud.

Here w

Here we go again another Sram basher,go and look at other forums where they bash them,the man is not asking for your 2 cents bashing. It's really getting long in the tooth this DISSING of Sram,just remember that all the other brands have their issue as well,get over it and move on.

Sorry buddy, I'm not a SRAM basher. I do/have owned almost every brand/series of both SRAM and Shimano high end groupsets.

And actually as far as the drive train goes, I prefer SRAM. When it comes to brakes, you don't get better all round stopping power, performance, reliability than Shimano. If you seriously think SRAM brakes are better then I would Love to hear your reasons and experience on this topic?

The bike shop saw him coming when they suggested trail brakes on his epic. They didn't even fit the correct Rotors for his weight, 160mm in the front on quad piston trailbrakes and a 90kg rider? You must be kidding right?

Also, while I'm not making any fans or friends in here.... 22kmh??? on a downhill is the test? You don't need brakes at that speed...

hehehe

I see Monday is off to a good start.

Can confirm, those Shimano XT brakes with Ice Tech Rotors are WOW.

Have 2 sets, :) 180mm front, 160mm rear.

G

Sorry buddy, I'm not a SRAM basher. I do/have owned almost every brand/series of both SRAM and Shimano high end groupsets.

And actually as far as the drive train goes, I prefer SRAM. When it comes to brakes, you don't get better all round stopping power, performance, reliability than Shimano. If you seriously think SRAM brakes are better then I would Love to hear your reasons and experience on this topic?

The bike shop saw him coming when they suggested trail brakes on his epic. They didn't even fit the correct Rotors for his weight, 160mm in the front on quad piston trailbrakes and a 90kg rider? You must be kidding right?

See my post above,had mine for 2 years now now no issues at all,but yea I must agree 160mm on the front is crazy,I have 180mm front and rear and I weigh 95kg but this is on a trail bike,and I don't do marathons and never will,will stick to Enduros and free riding.Only complaint I have is that the pads don't last very long,but this is an easy fix by buying a aftermarket brand pad.

Hi B20

I'm just not able to help myself, I really tried  :ph34r:

Happy to hear you like your SRAM XO Trails, however I'm sorry to inform you that they are NOT that amazing, at least not when you compare them to SHIMANO XT(XTR), especially when you include Ice-Tech Rotors into the equation.

You also mention you had reliability issues with the Formula's, don't expect the Avid's to be bulletproof or without  “turkey gobble”.

Obviously i'm a SRAM fan as well, as i'm a weee bit impartial to Shitmano, I mean i don't hate Shitmano i just think they shyte.

I run XO Trail brakes and they are as awsome for me as they are with the OP. You mention a wealth of experience with both brands but seem to bash SRAM with Turkey Warble, well as informed as you are, you should be well aware that Turkey Warble is not brand specific, it happens on any brand and not all the time with every bike but only sometimes on some bikes.

The reasons are many and not only specific to the brakes. Whilst the source of problem starts at the brakes, the noise is actually the vibration resonating through something else on the bike. Finding that "something" else is the key to fixing the problem. It could be the rotors, spokes, wheel rim or even the frame.

E.G. I have have never had Turkey warble with any of my SRAM brake setups. And i've had a few different septups since venturing onto the dark side. the other day i changed my ZTR wheels for my spare set, and presto!!! i had the warble when applying front brakes, I removed the wheel, remounted the rotor with some loc-tight, tensioned the spokes, Warble sorted !!! so it was either the rotor or spokes that were a bit sloppy.

And heres another example. Trying to sort an alu frame bike warble on the rear brake, i was walking next to the bike while the rider was moving slowly on a downhill while applying the screaming brake. On looking closely i realised / saw the hydraulic brake pipe was vibrating against the frame, when i held it between my fingers the screaming stoped. So we wrapped the hose with some electrical tape and thin sponge ...problem sorted..... and yes it was a Shitmano setup.

learn and understand the reasons of resonance and vibration before singling out a specific brand with a turkey warble problem.

Edited by madmarc

I'm halfway with you on this.

I have also owned and/or used pretty much everything out there, hate every single Avid model I've ever tried, and generally still swear by my XTs.... but.... have you ridden with Guides? I tried a set a few weeks back, they're seriously impressive. They have this meaty lever resistance feel that Shimano stuff generally doesn't have. Really good power, much more modulation than Shimano. In short, I would not mind slapping a set on.