Meerendal MTB

Tubeless

(maybe we've just been too spoilt with manicured trails, and forgot about the rough end of mountain biking,..just saying :-)

I rode Hoogekraal last night, its awesome. having said that and ridden Meerendal quite a lot, it could be better, but we do ride mountain bikes and shouldn't be looking for tarred roads!!!!

Ruts and rocks are not the problem. It's overgrown trails and sections that are closed, because they are not maintained. I'm sure Patrick would have been able to keep all the Cape Epic bits open through the whole year. At the moment they are closed all the time. Without those sections, Meerendal is just plain boring...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meerendal is my least favorite trail, was to dumpy and corrugated the last few time I road it.  Love Contermans and Hoogekraal and very excited about the new trail.

Well I really think this boils down to personal preference. I love the Tygerberg trails and each have their own style and little secrets.

That being said, I used to take non-members/ beginner riders to Meerendal due to the fact that it is not as technical and there is a nice restaurant and due to the fact that in my mind Majik is a bit boring without the Lombard's Terra section (IMO) which is as far as I know only accessible to members. I have to agree that we might be a little spoiled for choice as a member as the trails are really top notch. The fact that the upkeep at Meerendal is lacking is really sad news, but like Ryan100 said, maybe we should remember that we are riding Mountain bikes. If you want flat even roads, hit the tar or a district road... just saying.

The other Tygerberg trails are fantastic so given the choice I'll ride them rather.

I started my MTB career on Contis and Meerendal and have noticed a steady decline at Meerendal, but I still enjoy the ride.  Just wish they would open the epic sections again, they are fun.

I generally combine Hoogekraal into Meerendal into Contis, so will continue to ride it.  It might be bumpy as s%&t here and there, but this is MTB after all..

The bigger problem is the onset of erosion at Meerendal. Drainage run-offs etc not being cleared regularly means that good farming soil is being washed down the road and when the land-owner eventually wakes up the reaction is inevitably to close the trails permanently to mountain biking.

That is because bottelary is a conservancy not a club, its members have no voting rights or say on anything, nor do they pay land access because the conservancy was set up by the actual landowners. So they don't have any land access costs which also means they can drop their fees pro rata as their expenses aren't costed per member regardless of when in the year they join up.

Simple fact its the models differ and all the clubs models change as land owners come on-board or withdraw for whatever reason.  

I would not want to speculate, but if I were Meerendal and Contermanskloof I'd be talking about some collaboration with trail building and Maintenance. Botlary Hills seem to have a good structure in this regard and is probably much more sustainable than having to renegotiate land access annually.

Meerendal is my least favorite trail, was to dumpy and corrugated the last few time I road it.  Love Contermans and Hoogekraal and very excited about the new trail.

I was standing at the top of the second Hoogekraal hill on the weekend looking back down over Cobra to that river valley with all the dense trees winding away into the distance, and to the other hills towards the North, thinking 'oh, for the Trail you could build down there...' *and then Thor returns to reality, hoping*

Was at meerendal today.... Terrible, i wont be going back till the trails are fixed up.... Alright if you on a downhill bike though... Really disappointed by the state of the trails!!

I think you guys have all been too spoiled with manicured single track and have forgotten where mtb came from.

Sani will do that to you :wacko:

Edited by udxcob

Meerendal used to be the Clubs Shining Glory in terms of a trail almost anyone could ride. I used to love taking newbs there to try out single track for the first time but now it is just dangerous for people who are trying out mtb (Especially seeing as the route signage is rated as green on certain sections) Case in point 2 weeks ago a young lady went over her handlebars and concussed herself and a guy riding with her cracked his helmet - because the mineshaft has been allowed to erode away. There are new lines being cut by rider to avoid the tricky sections and a general attitude of being a free for all. Watched 2 guys riding the wrong way down the track at the dam.

Friends have nearly come a cropper with horses on the single track and runners with dogs are posing another hazard.

I'm not saying there is not a place for all to share the trails but under controlled circumstances.

And the sad reality is it was club members' fees who paid for the trail upgrades and builds and now it's all going down the drain....

I love Meerendal - I learnt to ride on that trail, it's close to home, and is safe for me to ride alone, I can ride it in the condition that it is in - I am capable luckily.

It just breaks my heart to see what it once was and what it has now become.

I rode Hoogekraal last night, its awesome. having said that and ridden Meerendal quite a lot, it could be better, but we do ride mountain bikes and shouldn't be looking for tarred roads!!!!

I think we are spoilt for trails in the Tygerberg area!

"last night" ???!!! was it an official night ride? If not you are a rogue rider then.

I was a member with Tygerberg for a couple years.  This year, just before renewing my membership I got injured.  Long story short, come July (7 months into the year) and membership for the remaining 5 months is only 15% cheaper (or something to that effect).  So I haven't renewed.

There's also been the Kliprug loss (no fault of the Clubs).  I also hear/read that Meerendal isn't in great shape and some of the corridors are closed.

Disappointing to hear because I don't think any of this is down to the Club's fault (apart from possibly offering cheaper pro rata membership).

I'll certainly review all trail membership options before splashing the cash come year end...  (Bottleray, Welvenpas, Jonkers etc)...

Membership prices have dropped another 25% as of yesterday. It is standard amongst most prorated memberships that they do not drop completely in line with the drop in duration, but please also remember that 2014 boards can be used until the end of January 2015.

Membership prices have dropped another 25% as of yesterday. It is standard amongst most prorated memberships that they do not drop completely in line with the drop in duration, but please also remember that 2014 boards can be used until the end of January 2015.

Hi, what is the price for the rest of the year, pls? I have some mates keen to join

I rode down Cobra twice this am, and if anyone is taking relative newbies down there anytime soon, that one section near the bottom where you go over the rock at an angle to the right followed by two small curves and then a turn right is going to catch a few unsuspecting victims! :) (and then we'll be saying it's as bad as Meerendal). What a lovely morning it was!!