Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

+1 I cant afford a R50K bike, but I can afford R300 now and again to race it :thumbup:

Its not always a case of affording as I can afford both the bike and the race but R3/km doesn't represent good value for a number of people.

(Before the fuel cost to get there as well)

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting to be very selective about the events I ride in. Cost and distance to travel from Hout Bay are starting to become a major factor. I recently entered and rode in the CVMTB events in Constantia at R150 an event (or R300 for all three events). Great event/s with excellent start/finish area and well organised event. Similar events will get my support in the future.

I will have to skip one of the big races this season. So it will probably be this one. Then I will do the 99er as prep for the CTCT.

Put is this way. At R330 for the race it is 10% of the value of my road bike.....  Maybe I should invest in a new bike. Nah!!!

Some people justify paying money for alcohol they gonna urinate the next day....each to his own

That depent on the quality and quantity of the drink, and that is the point.  What will you pay for a Black Lable Bear or Black Lable Whisky?

Problem is that the inflationary costs of everything seems to be properly exceeding the average annual salary increase. Expenses such as schooling and after school activities for children are simply ramping up.

These 25% plus race entry increases are not in isolation. The are being added as a luxury item to an already stretched budget where most people are having to downgrade their lifestyle attempting to do what they always have with the resources they do have!

Suddenly that expensive bike you have paid off cash or otherwise holds little relative pricing consideration to the annual cost of actually going to the races!

Problem is that the inflationary costs of everything seems to be properly exceeding the average annual salary increase. Expenses such as schooling and after school activities for children are simply ramping up.

These 25% plus race entry increases are not in isolation. The are being added as a luxury item to an already stretched budget where most people are having to downgrade their lifestyle attempting to do what they always have with the resources they do have!

Suddenly that expensive bike you have paid off cash or otherwise holds little relative pricing consideration to the annual cost of actually going to the races!

Sjoe. Dis diep!

But it is true.

We all get exploited on the daily in our lovely republic...I will be at the start(If entries do open....eventually)...maybe you change your mind wannabe  :whistling:

As they say in Afrikaans, "Moontlik maar nie maklik nie"

I can afford the Race Fee, it is simply out of principle that I will not enter.

How can the WCE organisers host an event over a new route, longer distance and new start venue for R120.00. The same race last year was R85.00 for the 85km race. Now that is value for money, as you effectively gets more for less, or much the same fee as last year.

Another race is being presented at exactly the same venue it was in previous years, same route, still no road closure, but this year it has a new principal sponsor and had a name change. For that you have to pay R100.00 more!!

Again, I can afford the increased race fee (will just have to eat one less Pizza in the month :whistling: ), but it is out of principle that I did not enter the race. I'm tired of being exploited.

The attitude is, if you want to ride my race, you pay what I charge. Sorry, I'm guessing you are wrong, this oke is not going to pay that exorbitant race fee increase!!!!

I can in any case ride that exact same route anytime I please (without paying) as it forms part of my regular weekend long routes.

As they say in Afrikaans, "Moontlik maar nie maklik nie"

I can afford the Race Fee, it is simply out of principle that I will not enter.

How can the WCE organisers host an event over a new route, longer distance and new start venue for R120.00. The same race last year was R85.00 for the 85km race. Now that is value for money, as you effectively gets more for less, or much the same fee as last year.

Another race is being presented at exactly the same venue it was in previous years, same route, still no road closure, but this year it has a new principal sponsor and had a name change. For that you have to pay R100.00 more!!

Again, I can afford the increased race fee (will just have to eat one less Pizza in the month :whistling: ), but it is out of principle that I did not enter the race. I'm tired of being exploited.

The attitude is, if you want to ride my race, you pay what I charge. Sorry, I'm guessing you are wrong, this oke is not going to pay that exorbitant race fee increase!!!!

I can in any case ride that exact same route anytime I please (without paying) as it forms part of my regular weekend long routes.

That must be a huge pizza with some expensive cheese  :P .....Dont get me wrong, I fully understand where you coming from....Maybe im just a sucker for punishment LOL :lol:

I would consider the entry fee if the organizers can supply me a breakdown of the cost:

EG.

R 300.00 entry fee is calculated as follows:

R 50.00 admin

R 20.00 Cooldrinks/ water at water points and finish

R 10.00 Traffic fee

R 50.00 Charity contribution

R 10.00 sundries

R 160.00 for the race organizer to get rich  :whistling:

Total: R 300.00

This is just my example, but maybe then, i will be convinced to pay R 300.00 for a race.

That must be a huge pizza with some expensive cheese  :P .....Dont get me wrong, I fully understand where you coming from....Maybe im just a sucker for punishment LOL :lol:

Batchelor

Nah, that's what the biggest Something Meaty with all the trimmings, and tip to delivery man costs.

Don't you guys order Pizza's on a Friday eve? :whistling:

See how many calls "The Burger" gets. Saw this on a Facebook now

"Ismail just entered the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour happening Sunday, 30 November 2014!"

Clearly this guy is pulling a prank on his friends.

See how many calls "The Burger" gets. Saw this on a Facebook now

"Ismail just entered the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour happening Sunday, 30 November 2014!"

Clearly this guy is pulling a prank on his friends.

I am wondering what's going on... after seeing your post, I tried to go onto their website. The Webpage don't come up and simply states "This page can't be displayed..." Yesterday I could still access it. Has it crashed? I can't see that updating a page would do this...?

Archived