Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

I have my fathers entry up for grabs if someone wants to do a substitution, send me a pm.

Edit: Taken for a case of Windhoek  :clap:

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I have an entry for this race (injured!!). 

I am heading to race registration at The Southern Sun now approx 15h00 / 15h30. Anyone want to buy it for R300?

Thanks Jack

EDIT: SOLD IT AT RACE REGISTRATION TODAY! GOOD LUCK ALL!

weather is looking good for Sunday. :clap:  :clap:

Seems we might even have a bit of a tailwind for the last stretch to Stellenbosch!  :thumbup:

Yeah, if Windguru is to be believed, there might even be a bit of a tailwind on the R44.

Told you so on Monday already!! :whistling:  :ph34r:

Seems we might even have a bit of a tailwind for the last stretch to Stellenbosch!  :thumbup:

anything to get off the road before the heat sets in. Here is where I respect those that start a bit further back....they get the short end of the stick yet battle through.

Im super excited. This will be my first Burger, hope I dont over do it going up Helshoogte.

Any advice for this noob would be appreciated  ^_^

Im super excited. This will be my first Burger, hope I dont over do it going up Helshoogte.

My advise - don't overdo it going over Helshoogte!   :clap:

Same some power for the last 20km - they'll catch you out if you don't keep some power in reserve.

My advise - don't overdo it going over Helshoogte!   :clap:

Same some power for the last 20km - they'll catch you out if you don't keep some power in reserve.

Try and warm up beforehand. Going up Hels with cold legs (at any pace) will come back later in the race to bite you.

Try and warm up beforehand. Going up Hels with cold legs (at any pace) will come back later in the race to bite you.

how much will waiting in the start chute affect whatever warm up was done? or is it better than doing nothing at all?

No matter how much anyone warns you, only you will know whether you have the training in your legs to go hard up Hels and recover well enough along the other side to keep pushing with the front of your group. If you know you do NOT have this then do NOT get sucked into going hard at the beginning just so you hit the wall later. If you do this, it will be a survival exercise the entire ride, trying to hold on while you are stuck in the red and have not recovered and eventually getting so spectacularly spat out the back that you have nothing left to hang onto anyone else coming by. Your time will be far slower and the experience wont be lekka at all. Rather ride tempo up Hels and then plan your strategy around riding as hard as you can recover the rest of the route with a group of similar strength riders you can latch onto. Your overall time will be faster and you will enjoy the feeling of racing far more than being filled with purely survival thoughts. (Yes I speak from experience and I have done many of these races, mostly not listening to this advice myself...)

how much will waiting in the start chute affect whatever warm up was done? or is it better than doing nothing at all?

Will be better with a warm up than Ice cold legs. Just be ur self, u just did a lekka DC. Nothing beats OP THE TRADAUX. Just got my subs done. 2k start for me. my first burger in 2 years. Last year the broken collar bone kept me off the bike with the Burger, DC and Attakwas. Dc done, now for the Burger and then the Attakwas. :w00t:  :w00t:

As Smurfy said. Better warming up and then "cool down" again in the shutes, than not having warmed up at all.

I'm actually going to be parking at a spot a few km out of town, cycle in for my warmup, and then back to the car again as a cool down.

Will be better with a warm up than Ice cold legs. Just be ur self, u just did a lekka DC. Nothing beats OP THE TRADAUX. Just got my subs done. 2k start for me. my first burger in 2 years. Last year the broken collar bone kept me off the bike with the Burger, DC and Attakwas. Dc done, now for the Burger and then the Attakwas. :w00t:  :w00t:

Bertus is starting in 2M  :thumbup: Look out for a rocky mountain 29er come whizzing by haha.

+1 on warming up before the Helz climb - didn't do it before the One Tonner and I was promptly dropped within the first kilometer of the climb

Other than that, I for one believe you can go full pace up Helz, there is a long downhill and long flat stretch to Wellington in which you can recover before you get to the rollers of the R44 - others differ on this but that's my opinion  ^_^

Archived