Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

I did not attend, due to ridiculous entry fees, and also no short route to enjoy with friends and family. How were the numbers, in your opinion, up or down? Really curious.

To me, the entries this year seemed to be the same as all the other year's long distance entries. The short distance entrants did not move over to the longer distance.  And with reason, some people just want to have fun on the bike.

Also, the atmosphere at the end was very much subdued compared to other years.

My son did his first Argus earlier this year, and now his first Burger (sic, Stellenbosch Cycle Tour).  He recon this race was for him tougher than the Argus, even bearing in mind we had some nasty wind at the end of this year's Argus.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like some peeps had some trouble. Sorry to hear.

Had a good day in the saddle as this was my first Burger.

Started in 3B and managed 02:54.

It got a bit hairy at one point when we picked up a few riders from earlier groups,

but bunches don't faze me much.

Well done everyone.

Another thing I noticed.  According to the Racetec results there were only 5417 finishers, and they claim there were about 7000 starters.  I guess the heat did get to some of the tail enders.

To me, the entries this year seemed to be the same as all the other year's long distance entries. The short distance entrants did not move over to the longer distance.  And with reason, some people just want to have fun on the bike.

Also, the atmosphere at the end was very much subdued compared to other years.

My son did his first Argus earlier this year, and now his first Burger (sic, Stellenbosch Cycle Tour).  He recon this race was for him tougher than the Argus, even bearing in mind we had some nasty wind at the end of this year's Argus.

Strange, I think with the tents and stuff at the end there was such a viab at the end. 

Did not appreciate being told had to pay for parking, did not pay just felt a little strange. Dont even ask you to pay at Argus. 

There was about 800 more people this year in the long route, so numbers did increase a fair amount. 

Even though weather was good today I dont think I found it any easier either.

Another thing I noticed.  According to the Racetec results there were only 5417 finishers, and they claim there were about 7000 starters.  I guess the heat did get to some of the tail enders.

True, also punctures seem to be really bad on this route, think its those metal cat eyes. Know of at least 6 people that withdrew due to punctures/double punctures. 

Strange, I think with the tents and stuff at the end there was such a viab at the end. 

Did not appreciate being told had to pay for parking, did not pay just felt a little strange. Dont even ask you to pay at Argus. 

There was about 800 more people this year in the long route, so numbers did increase a fair amount. 

Even though weather was good today I dont think I found it any easier either.

OK.  I did not check the results of last year, was just trying to go by memory.  So maybe there were a fair bit of the short route riders that made the attempt.  My son and I were some of those.  But I think they might have found it a bit tough, I know we did.  Especially the rollers and heat coming back.  Would like to hear from some more of those riders.

Agree with everything that was said here. Going past the Jail, we absorbed the group in front of us (and most probably got caught from behind too) Turned into one huge group, taking up both sides of the road( and then some idjuts still try to overtake on the right)

We had three motorbike Marshalls, and they later gave up trying to control the group, resorting to going ahead and stopping the cars coming from the front.

I picked up a Race chip just past Nelson Wine farm, handed it in at the finish. It got broken off, still had a piece of the plastic bracket attached. 

If it was one of you that lost it, hope you got it back, and sorry for the poor time I registered for you.  :whistling:  :blush:

Then I have to mention a young rider we shared the road with today. A young man (very young man) with number 1B797, think he said his name is Yusuf.He sat with us all the way from Wellington, I only lost sight of him on the last "big"climb". He was spinning like a man possessed with his junior gears, even weaving/rocking from side to side to keep up, but never dangerous. Going up climbs he would drop me, but then I could catch him again on the descent / flats.

Guys, if one of you know him, please give him my regards again (I told him on the road) This is a young talent to be nurtured and keep an eye on for the future.

Guest Frail4Life

On my way to the start, an Ambulance was picking up a cyclist on Botlary. Bike looked in a bad state. I thought maybe he got ran over. Anyone know who it is an if he is ok?

Thats scary!

I went through there.

Ok, i did go through very Early, there was no traffic at that time.

Most enjoyable "Burger" I have ever done, conditions were perfect, did a 3:05.

Honestly it felt much safer than previous years. We bunched up with another 2-3 groups, other than a couple cowboys the pack of about 200 riders kept to left of the line and rode really well. One crash was going up hill and the rider down had been riding like a complete d#@k for the first half.

I didn't really feel in danger once. I did start in a late group though, so bunching wasn't as an issue as most people just rode alone. 

The one really annoying thing is the insane traffic up Helshoogte. I must have passed at least 400 people on the way up. The only time I felt in any real danger was on the final rollers into Stellenbosch when the slower riders up front got the wobbles. A couple of guys nearly took me and a couple of guys out. If you're proper buggered just stick to the left - not on the yellow line. 

Was suffering today managed a 4.05 all the groups I hung on spat me out leaving me at the be back to greet the marshalls???? The legs were dead need to put in some more training before the 99er and the August ????

My wife though she was the only one greeting the marshalls. Lol

I rode in % and never felt unsafe, but I cycled back to Wellington to ride with my Dad and there was alot more traffic at the back.

True, also punctures seem to be really bad on this route, think its those metal cat eyes. Know of at least 6 people that withdrew due to punctures/double punctures.

One of my chommies hit a cat-eye on the R44 and ended in a ditch

:-(

Did a 3:28 from 3F. Given the perfect conditions I'm satisfied. But I'll have to up my game going into the New Year. Also enjoyed the wider detour around Wellington.

Had a decent day out starting in 4B with the better half. Her first long route race and she klapped a 3:40. Did the first 60 clicks on 3:15 pace but faded between 60 and 90 kays.

That far back you're mostly riding a time trial. Few people understand the benefits of group dynamics!

Archived