Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

A friend of mine had his rear derailleur clipped off in the final km and to do an Sven Nys cyclocross move and cross the line with his bike on his shoulder

His cleats are in hulle chops

Was he the chap with the T-Mobile Giant?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez it was hot!

Started and stayed with the wife from 4J, did 04:52 (as planned).

At the stop just after butterfly world the computer said 37.1 degrees!!

Lost 4kg through sweat, cant be too healthy as Im having beer now!

Was fun :)

I had a super awesome first race this morning! Started in 4D and was hoping to do a 4:15 at best, but to my utter surprise managed a solid 3:36. 

I probably went out a little hard in the first 30k, really felt the effort through Wellington. Very happy with my time.

That heat though...

Agree with the post about the large bunches, they either need full road closure or to stagger the starts much more. Did 2h47 from 2C, a bit mad with myself as I got dropped at Klapmuts. Most of the group seem to have done early 2:40s. Not a bad race but too crowded.

On a separate note, last weekend at DC I saw some fool cycling with a GoPro attached to his back - surely that is not very smart given that Schumi'shead injury is supposedly because he had one on his helmet?

I shaved 45 minutes off from last year. 3:11. A big shout out to the Brito boys. They shallowed up bunch after bunch going brilliantly. I got dropped on the rollers before Klapmuts. Note to self- when flying, remember to keep fueling. I bonked bad. Still finished well though after a good pep talk.

On my way to the start, an Ambulance was picking up a cyclist on Botlary. Bike looked in a bad state. I thought maybe he got ran over. Anyone know who it is an if he is ok?

Guys be careful of those kids who want to push you up the hills. Some kid pushed my dad up and grabbed his phone out his back pocket, opened his zip on his bag and tried to grab cash out. Luckily the guy dropped the tyre levers so my dad heard the drop and caught the bugger.

Awesome race though. If ever there was perfect conditions, today was it.

On my way to the start, an Ambulance was picking up a cyclist on Botlary. Bike looked in a bad state. I thought maybe he got ran over. Anyone know who it is an if he is ok?

Yes

A friend of mine. Got hit by a car on the way to the race. He has a dislocated ankle. And a lot of bad scrapes.

Drunk driver again. They say his ok. I'll see if I can find the link on Facebook

I have decided not to support this race in future.  There was just too many close calls on the Agter Paarl pad.  If they insist in using this route they must make it safe for the cyclists.  On that road most of the cyclists are tired and make judgement errors all too easy.  If they want R300 for a race, they must show me why I need to pay that for the race.  This is probably why the numbers for this race keep on stagnating.  

I have decided not to support this race in future.  There was just too many close calls on the Agter Paarl pad.  If they insist in using this route they must make it safe for the cyclists.  On that road most of the cyclists are tired and make judgement errors all too easy.  If the want R300 for a race, they must show me why I need to pay that for the race.  This is probably why the numbers for this race keep on stagnating.  

I did not attend, due to ridiculous entry fees, and also no short route to enjoy with friends and family. How were the numbers, in your opinion, up or down? Really curious.

Let me be the first to say that that was insanely dangerous.

Won't be surprised to hear about people ending up in hospital.

How the organisers could set groups off at 1 minute intervals is beyond me. By the time we passed Paarl, the group must have been over 400 big. 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 2A were all together, guys swerving over the road into oncoming traffic, police sirens blaring. Absolute chaos. No road closures, so cars were hooting and trying to get past the mega bunch.

Guess that's what happens when profit becomes more important than a cyclist's life.

Great conditions, nice route, but won't be doing this again if they keep the format as is.

Didn't enjoy it very much, very dangerous in that bunch with guys doing stupid things to gain a second. I won't be doing it again if they keep this format. My 2 cents.

Was suffering today managed a 4.05 all the groups I hung on spat me out leaving me at the be back to greet the marshalls???? The legs were dead need to put in some more training before the 99er and the August ????

Archived