Die Burger 2014

GLuvsMtb

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me be the first to say that that was insanely dangerous.

Won't be surprised to hear about people ending up in hospital.

How the organisers could set groups off at 1 minute intervals is beyond me. By the time we passed Paarl, the group must have been over 400 big. 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 2A were all together, guys swerving over the road into oncoming traffic, police sirens blaring. Absolute chaos. No road closures, so cars were hooting and trying to get past the mega bunch.

Guess that's what happens when profit becomes more important than a cyclist's life.

Great conditions, nice route, but won't be doing this again if they keep the format as is.

Let me be the first to say that that was insanely dangerous.Won't be surprised to hear about people ending up in hospital.How the organisers could set groups off at 1 minute intervals is beyond me. By the time we passed Paarl, the group must have been over 400 big. 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 2A were all together, guys swerving over the road into oncoming traffic, police sirens blaring. Absolute chaos. No road closures, so cars were hooting and trying to get past the mega bunch.Guess that's what happens when profit becomes more important than a cyclist's life.Great conditions, nice route, but won't be doing this again if they keep the format as is.

I was in 1D and caught the main bunch at Wellington. I think it might have been bigger than 400. But I actually really enjoyed the race, might actually have been one of my best. It's the one or two numpties trying to do stupid things that ruin it.

Sounds hectic. I would've thought the new format would work better much like the argus cycle tour.

Agreed, also thought it was a good idea. I think the problem is Helz is not long enough for the strong climbers to make a proper getaway, after the Helz descent all the groups just merge again

I was in the 2B,2C,2D,2E bus, also a massive group but it wasn't quite as hectic there, sat safely in the back of the bus until wellington.

Was supposed to follow doctor's orders and take it slowly but found myself near the front on the R44 and then at the Klampmuts/Lievland climb I made a lekker break-away, thought the group would haul me in but managed to stay ahead. A nice way to end the year!

Glad I got through that safely

Many close calls

The weather gods sure smiled on the inaugural Stellenbosch Cycle Tour today.

What a race...my first bike race and really really enjoyed it...

2nite il be having dreams of how I passed the people..

Started group 4B and did a 2:55

What an awesome race and experience. First big race for the boys starting in $. I think they should split racing tandems and social tandems next time. We caught them before turning onto hells!

Hellshoogte started very politely I think, then the guys on the front ramped it it up a bit and formed a gap. Over the top we sat on the front and pulled the break back by the turn to Franschoek. 

Over the last few bumps were tough and in the sprint 1/2 of us got caught behind the nasty accident. So after that cruised to the line in 2:16:22. 

The $ group was a pleasure to ride in as it was a lot less chaotic than % and A we found in the past. 

Our other boys that rolled in % also had a great ride and rolled in at 2:26 ish. 

All in all a great event, cool new chips, nice shade at the finish and great end to season. 

Edit- people like photos

post-11806-0-62066400-1417340593_thumb.jpg

Let me be the first to say that that was insanely dangerous.

Won't be surprised to hear about people ending up in hospital.

How the organisers could set groups off at 1 minute intervals is beyond me. By the time we passed Paarl, the group must have been over 400 big. 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 2A were all together, guys swerving over the road into oncoming traffic, police sirens blaring. Absolute chaos. No road closures, so cars were hooting and trying to get past the mega bunch.

Guess that's what happens when profit becomes more important than a cyclist's life.

Great conditions, nice route, but won't be doing this again if they keep the format as is.

I agree 100%. You cannot do this when roads are not closed like the Argus. 400 big is way too low and estimate. Reckon there was a lot more. Also you climb hard, do well only for the tandems to bring everybody together on the descent. Why kill yourself. IB were never going to get away from 1C & 1D, we passed too many tandems on the way up Hells. 

Reckon the organisers need to review the start times. Rather start with bigger groups but longer intervals. 

Have a flat spot on my tubby from at least a 5m skid cos it was just hectic in our bunch. Just too unsafe so close to the holidays :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

A friend of mine had his rear derailleur clipped off in the final km and to do an Sven Nys cyclocross move and cross the line with his bike on his shoulder

His cleats are in hulle chops

I was in a big group near Hugenote Tunnel where a lady had a nasty fall. A few guys went over her. I hope they are all well. 

Top 3 in men and ladies?

Anriette

James T

Check out racetec, Jaco'

Very special 2nd for Maroesjka Matthee

Awesome

I had a terrible race.  First off I got only 2 hours sleep.  I just could not get to sleep, no matter which way I laid.

First part went good, and at the Wellington turn I was still in for a 3h30-40.  Then it all fell apart on that long climb past Nelsons Creek.  At times I just kept the pedals turning, just going forward.  Then it got worse 20km from the end and my body was cursing me.  I walked up the hills ( from Klapmuts), and I never had to before.  There was just nothing in the tank.  I think I must have screwed up my diet before the race, or something weird went on.  I managed a 4h20, and my son just over 4h.  He also suffered on the Agter Paarl pad, but then regained some strength for the last 10km.

Archived