SLX vs Deore Brakes

lukes_handle

This is stupid but you can run the finned pads with normal rotors and the ice tech rotors with normal pads and they will still help cool right ??

I'm 1.79m and weighs 100kg.Going down is fast. I normally use the next incline as a brake :wacko:

Had ice-tec rotors but they warped under heavy breaking(when the need arose). Stick to the normal ones

Yes I ran finned pads with normal SLX rotors stopped me 100% all the time no problems with heat and I ride Tokai which is steep trail conditions and heavy on the brakes

I upgraded from Avid to XT and man, I can stop now! I don't have money to replace the Avid rotors with Ice Tech rotors. I am a SRAM fan but for brakes it is Shimano all the way. You can not save any money on brakes because your life can depend on it. I would for the SLX or even save for XT's, a good brakeset will last a very long time.

Hi there I'm looking at new brakes as the ones that came on my bike just aren't cutting it (Shimano m505) everything else on my bike is SLX so my first instinct is the SLX and they are higher up in the Shimano line so therefore should be 'better'.

I want to know from experience what everyone's experience has been and any advice on which ones to go with as I'm looking at the SLX m675 vs the Deore m615. I see online there's about a R700 difference. I ride cross country mostly doing ROAG events around 40km but I want to work towards doing longer races and even a stage raceor two. I'm 178cm and 59kg and currently have 180mm up front and 160mm in the back, I would like to keep it that way but will get new rotors.

Also is ICE TECH really worth it especially with me being so light I'm not heavy on the brakes. I looked and can get SLX set with ICE TECH rotors from CRC for about R2 200 and my girlfriend will be in England at the end of the year anyway so is that a good option? (I like supporting local but that is an awesome deal).

And with everything being Shimano on my bike I want to keep it that way also for the sake of ease with I-Spec, I like the cleaner look.

HELP!!!

If you're buying in the UK make sure you have factored in the 20% UK vat.

This is stupid but you can run the finned pads with normal rotors and the ice tech rotors with normal pads and they will still help cool right ??

yep - I don't know of any complaints with finned pads, have heard of the rotors warping on occasion due to the difference in expansion between the steel and al parts... 

XT calipers come with nice screwy things to hold the pads in, SLX come with a clip (although you can put a pin in, they are threaded already), not sure about Deore though... 

I bought a new bike a couple of months back. Came with decent components, but I was a bit miff about the deore brakes. I was planning on buying a set of slx the following month.

4 months later and the deore's are still on.... They really are really good bang for your buck. Excellent brakes . Thousand times better than the avids I had on my previous bike. Worlds apart.

Just bought the new slx brakes, comes with finned pads.looks and feels exactly the same as xt. Paid R2000.

I built up a 29er HT this year. Most of the components are SLX, but to save a bit of money I got the Deore M615 Brakes and M615 Crankset (was at the time ~R1400 less for both compared to the SLX components).

I'm used to the Shimano Alivio (M446) Brakes on my other bike (26er), and I can say that the Deore brakes works very well (I like them more because of the brake levers being short, i-spec compatibility and the nifty clamp).

I recently did the Karoo to Coast on the 29er HT and had no problems breaking on the descends (182cm, 95kg, 160mm Rotors front and Back).

So Deore vs SLX sum up at the moment:

Braking power: Pretty even

Value for money: Deore

Comfort: SLX (The more varied adjustment)

Long term costs: Deore (Unless you replace with non Ice Tech)

Durability: SLX

At the moment I'm leaning to saving a bit longer and going with the SLX and going with finned pads and noraml SLX rotor. Also my racing is over until next year (as far as I am aware) so I can wait and save.

That brings a new question for me, what are the best rotors?

I know a few people who run and swear by Alligator windcutters but also know people who swear by Shimano and again people who love Hope floating rotors

Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not use wind cutters. Stick with the stock shimanos and if you want less grams go up the shimano food chain. The wind cutters are light but that is the problem. The surface area of the wind cutters is tiny vs stock. The performance is poorer and can cause a vibration when braking.

AFAIK the Deores also now come with ceramic pistons - less prone to heat transfer to the fluid and getting stuck in the calper. SLX come with HP brakes hoses which probably helps the power. Not sure if Deore does too. Your rotors need to be higher quality if you want to run metal pads. Again, I am not sure if Deore rotors are that spec, but SLX definitely are.

Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not use wind cutters. Stick with the stock shimanos and if you want less grams go up the shimano food chain. The wind cutters are light but that is the problem. The surface area of the wind cutters is tiny vs stock. The performance is poorer and can cause a vibration when braking.

100% agreed. 

Windcutters have too little material to be effective as discs. They look piele, but they're far from it. 

So Deore vs SLX sum up at the moment:

Braking power: Pretty even

Value for money: Deore

Comfort: SLX (The more varied adjustment)

Long term costs: Deore (Unless you replace with non Ice Tech)

Durability: SLX

At the moment I'm leaning to saving a bit longer and going with the SLX and going with finned pads and noraml SLX rotor. Also my racing is over until next year (as far as I am aware) so I can wait and save.

That brings a new question for me, what are the best rotors?

I know a few people who run and swear by Alligator windcutters but also know people who swear by Shimano and again people who love Hope floating rotors

Summer has just arrived! How can your racing be over until next Year?

Summer has just arrived! How can your racing be over until next Year?

No events on the calendar, KZN summers are just too hot and humid

Archived