Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

What can we do about this??? There must be something we can collectively do?

We read about these events and then because of legal processes, everything goes quiet for each individual case. Is there not some organisation out there already that is pushing the greater cycling safety initiative and how do we echo their call???

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only way this is going to change is if we start putting pressure on the drivers of the vehicles, collectively as cyclists we create a fund, by maybe getting a law firm to assist in a civil claim against the driver, clearly the criminal process does not work for us in this country, maybe by going civil and really putting a financial burden on the driver to pay damages to either the family or the injured cyclist, we also then look at marketing and really letting the public out there know that if you as a driver was involved in hitting a cyclist and you were negligent, a civil claim by the cyclists united fund will be initiated...

i mean how many cyclists do we have in this country and if each one gives 20 or 50 bucks a month we should have a fairly strong account to pay for lawyers......

I don't know fellow riders, but flip man i want  to enjoy my rides and NOT have to look over my shoulder every 5 min to see if a vehicle is not bailing down on me.....

AS I HAVE IT. The bakkie that clipped Johan drove off. Another vehicle apparently turned around and managed to get the reg nr.  Regarding the Brackenfell incident, the lady in the maroon tazz also drove on. Apparently they also managed to get her reg nr. :cursing:  :cursing: :cursing:  :cursing:  

now this is what i am talking about, the drivers once apprehended not only gets a criminal charge but also a civil claim against them, why not really let these road hogs pay and have sleepless nights and really feel the brunt of the cycling community in this country....

the only way this is going to change is if we start putting pressure on the drivers of the vehicles, collectively as cyclists we create a fund, by maybe getting a law firm to assist in a civil claim against the driver, clearly the criminal process does not work for us in this country, maybe by going civil and really putting a financial burden on the driver to pay damages to either the family or the injured cyclist, we also then look at marketing and really letting the public out there know that if you as a driver was involved in hitting a cyclist and you were negligent, a civil claim by the cyclists united fund will be initiated...

i mean how many cyclists do we have in this country and if each one gives 20 or 50 bucks a month we should have a fairly strong account to pay for lawyers......

I don't know fellow riders, but flip man i want  to enjoy my rides and NOT have to look over my shoulder every 5 min to see if a vehicle is not bailing down on me.....

Surely there must be some legal brains on the hub who can advise on this!

I think this is why Mandie created the #iRide4Burry Foundation?

I`m in for R50 a month. How about Debroglio Attorneys. That slow talking dude on tv. If it wasnt your fault......... They claim to fight the battle for you.

I`m in for R50 a month. How about Debroglio Attorneys. That slow talking dude on tv. If it wasnt your fault......... They claim to fight the battle for you.

Nought bru ...that oke is slimier than an eel rubbed in Vaseline

Nought bru ...that oke is slimier than an eel rubbed in Vaseline

:w00t:  :w00t: :w00t: Maybe thats what we need, a SLIMY dude to tackle the BASTARDS.. 

Maybe PPA can assist. Imagine the burdern that this familiy has to go thru :(

My condolences to the family left behind! 

What I can't understand is how people can just drive away, have we degenerated as a society to such a point where people have no conscience and can just ignore what they do?  Are pedestrians and cyclists no more that an unfortunate bird that was struck by a car? People used to stop I am sure.  Are there any consequences for hit and runs?  Is it because it has to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the person did it?  Taxi driver willfully put peoples lives in danger to bypass cars waiting at a railway crossing, smack into a train while booms are down, get reduced sentence. 

I don't know, makes me sick.  We have no more respect for each other (obviously a generalization).   

Dreadful news - RIP fellow rider and condolences to the family.

I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. With R15M+ in a trust fund, can't the PPA do more than a few 1.5m bumper stickers? Ditto the CSA to be frank.

Maybe this the wrong thread or time/tone to debate that point though.

FFS

Get us that reg numbers.

Name shame, lets do something.

Who can get those numbers?

Just make sure that it is the correct vehicle, and that the registered owner was the driver at the time. You dont want to name and shame the wrong bloke if you get the reg nr. :nuke: Some SLIMEY dude in a suit might sue you. :whistling:

Archived