Michael Schumacher: Injury caused by GoPro?

F111

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.biznews.com/motoring/2014/10/michael-schumacher-injury-caused-gopro/

Is this why they don't allow a GoPro mounted on your helmet at MTB Races

Yip, thats the reason, also why you are not allowed to mount it on your chest. The commentator at the Berg and Bush this weekend mentioned that the indestructible casing of the Gopro is basically what it states. And it can damage your skull that protects your brain and the sternum that protects your heart

Edited by Wil6

I can't open the link but as far as I know there is no evidence linking the injury to the GoPro. Unfortunately just like airlines with their turn all devices off policy they have all banned them "just in case". The chest mounted GoPro has quite a large plate surface area against the sternum.

load of rubbish

The chances that you land perfectly on it that it doesn't fold or pull the mounting off are as good as you hitting a rock the same size.

Helmets are designed to take impacts from rocks, im sure a GoPro isn't as hard.

Yes he may have landed at the precise angle that may have increased the risk of injury but im pretty sure a gopro wasn't the only contributing factor.

The chesty has a pretty big base plate for that reason, if that breaks your sternum im pretty sure you would have broken it anyway.

I have a friend who hit a tree and if it wasn't for the strap of the chesty he would have been impaled by a branch .

The UCI won't let you wear a GoPro because they probably own the TV rights to the event. The only reason they let some of the athletes wear them is for the live on track footage that you see.

If wearing a GoPro is dangerous, heaven help you if you catch a handlebar in the femoral artery (Ask Cedric. That little GoPro video could just be instrumental in saving the life of someone that watched the video that was posted online....) or a seatpost in the nether regions. 

I can't see a GoPro doing any more damage than a big rock TBH...

As Peach said - load of rubbish. Yes, the casing is "indestructible" but the mounting is far from. It'll rip off on impact, if it even impacts. And the force from an immovable rock will far outweigh the force that is required to jettison the GoPro.

What a crock of shaite.

Indeed. I was riding with Daft Vader - I think Barbie and patches were there that day, so they can confirm - at the bike park once. Daft boosted off a small rock close to the exit of the trails and knocked his GoPro clean off its mount when it connected the overhead sign. Edited by Tumbleweed

Indeed. I was riding with Daft Vader - I think Barbie and patches were there that day, so they can confirm - at the bike park once. Daft boosted off a small rock close to the exit of the trails and knocked his GoPro clean off its mount when it connected the overhead sign.

He cracked his helmet with that incident :wacko:  

load of rubbish

The chances that you land perfectly on it that it doesn't fold or pull the mounting off are as good as you hitting a rock the same size.

Helmets are designed to take impacts from rocks, im sure a GoPro isn't as hard.

Yes he may have landed at the precise angle that may have increased the risk of injury but im pretty sure a gopro wasn't the only contributing factor.

The chesty has a pretty big base plate for that reason, if that breaks your sternum im pretty sure you would have broken it anyway.

I have a friend who hit a tree and if it wasn't for the strap of the chesty he would have been impaled by a branch .

Flukes do happen so don't discount it totally

there is a probability that at the point of impact, the GoPro can become detached from its mount, but lodged between the helmet and the ground. But it's just that, a probability, and Schumi's incident may just be the consequence of one such probability.

I dont think any statement that claims the GoPro caused it should be taken as a generalisation that GoPros are inately dangerous. As others here have already noted, handlebars and brake lever are more likely to cause severe injuries. Its really not worth getting worked up over, despite it being a direct contributor to Schumi's injuries.

This makes sense now about the casing because I have always wondered why they don't allow a GoPro to be mounted on your helmet, but then at night races no-one have any issue with big ass lights being mounted to the helmet

Probably because if you cant see the tree, you're gonna hit it anyway.

They have the same rules for most moto enduro events. Another factor that was pointed out to me is that your neck just has to support just that little extra weight, which could be all the difference even at low speeds.

It might not be more damaging than a rock or stump, but why increase chances of injury.