Marianne Vos to ride Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge

News bot

Actually only one is true and the other is just getting back at you for the rugby. Jip around 1500m

How dare you bring the ruggers into this?

Hehehe

• 4 weeks later...

I am a huge vos fan, and was excited to hear she was coming. I am a bit suprised that she rode to win though. I think its such a big race in SA, can't the likes of Vos, Moolman, Stander & Schoeman etc quietly decide to ride for charity and give an up and coming youngster a chance in the spotlight? Last year Ashleigh outsprinted an 18yr old to victory, that seems a bit pointless. I understand the whole "race to win or dont particiapte" argument, but Impey seems to get my drift.

I am a huge vos fan, and was excited to hear she was coming. I am a bit suprised that she rode to win though. I think its such a big race in SA, can't the likes of Vos, Moolman, Stander & Schoeman etc quietly decide to ride for charity and give an up and coming youngster a chance in the spotlight? Last year Ashleigh outsprinted an 18yr old to victory, that seems a bit pointless. I understand the whole "race to win or dont particiapte" argument, but Impey seems to get my drift.

There are only 2 road races a year in SA when riders (read: sponsors) get decent coverage. Why would you only ride for charity in one of them?

Having Vos here was a major showcase for woman's cycling. What anti-climax would it have been to have the best cyclist in the world dawdling along in the charity bunches.

Don't agree at all. It's a major road race on the calender. Racing to win is just normal.

I disagree, yesterday I started my race next to a role model for cycling, the entire bunch was excited and it changed the entire atmosphere. The racing was positive! And if anything she only encouraged the younger riders. She stop and spoke to each young girl who asked her a question. I admire her for coming here to race. Ladies cycling is taking a dip again and this put the ladies onto the map, even if it was just for one race.

Are you serious? So Vos and Schoeman etc should just gift races to youngsters? We must stop coddling our youngsters. If they are good enough to win then they will; otherwise they should just work harder at it and the results will come. Just remember that these are professional athletes, with contracts....

No problem Mike. Say no to your next promotion and go straight to Management today asking them to make sure one of the latest staff members is made the CEO, so that they too can get a chance! Changes things when it's your job eh....

Actually she out-sprinted Sharon

I think it was excellent to have Vos here, and for her to race. I'm only sad that Ashliegh could not give her a harder time.

There are only 2 road races a year in SA when riders (read: sponsors) get decent coverage. Why would you only ride for charity in one of them?

Having Vos here was a major showcase for woman's cycling. What anti-climax would it have been to have the best cyclist in the world dawdling along in the charity bunches.

Don't agree at all. It's a major road race on the calender. Racing to win is just normal.

doesnt the durban fun ride count?