bad jump crash

BaGearA

You sure you haven't broken your collarbone ???

Go see a doc bud, or you just prolonging get back on your bike.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ow!

Don't delay assessment / treatment

Remember it can augment the recovery process (lengthen) as you are probably exacerbating the injury.

Sterkte!

Het guys monday afternoon i took a 2metre gap jump and i landed short so my rear heel bounced so hard it threw me over(at about 22kph) i landed extremly hard on y shoulder but had no indi cations of a break. But now ican move my arm quite alot but as soon as i try to lift my arm above my shoulder the pain is imense(I also have a lot of muscle stiffness)

ANY advice? 

Don't jump 2 meter gaps!

Shoulder separation is a common injury with a fall like that.

X-ray!

I landed on my shoulder recently - Grade 2 AC Separation.

The pain was intense only when trying to lift my arm high.

The easy way to tell if you have a separation is to look in the mirror and look for a bump at the end of your collar bone - actually what happens is that your collarbone stays in the correct place and the "ball and socket" drops down. If it is still the same as the other side it is not separated.

Suddenly I feel lucky now reading all these tails of woe.  I ran out of talent on a big table-top jump at the Garden Route Trail Park almost 2 weeks ago, that part of the course at the top after the moerse gap jump.  Only suffered some roasties.

Separated AC probably.

X-rays will confirm.

Physio/chiro will fix.

Medical aid will pay some.

Tears will be shed.

Gap jump will be jumped again.

Cycle will be repeated

I also ran out of talent recently and so am agreed on the option of x rays. I went a good few days with a broken collarbone, even after x rays (although mainly for ribs etc) until more detailed shots showed a broken collarbone.

I pretty much knew however as I could feel the bone grinding when I put my hand in that area. Quite to bliksems' sore too. 

From experience...

Dr

X-rays

Hospital

Theatre

Dr

Physio

Dr

X-rays

Physio

Physio

Dr

X-rays

Physio

Physio

Physio

Dr

Physio

Physio

Physio

X-rays

Physio

Physio

:D

Money, money, money, money, money, more money, money...

Or money for a medical aid plan which is thousands a month..

Don't you love SA

Money, money, money, money, money, more money, money...

Or money for a medical aid plan which is thousands a month..

Don't you love SA

Which runs out very quickly in times like these, forcing the self-payment story till the gap is crossed and they go back to paying.

Very costly running thing, out of talent.

I tend to view it as I've become a semi-pro rider, I'm self-sponsored now...

Where did you do this jump?

Usually when I hurt myself I just leave it and hope it goes away. This has turned out to not be the wise decision and now I sit with a couple of serious problems pilling up (ribs, back alignment, etc). I suggest to make 'friends' with a physio or doctor or or and have there nr on your phone for a 'quick check up' just to get their opinion before spending all that money and time on x-rays etc.

Het guys monday afternoon i took a 2metre gap jump and i landed short so my rear heel bounced so hard it threw me over(at about 22kph) i landed extremly hard on y shoulder but had no indi cations of a break. But now ican move my arm quite alot but as soon as i try to lift my arm above my shoulder the pain is imense(I also have a lot of muscle stiffness)

ANY advice? 

Try 25kph maybe?! ...28kph if there's a head wind

But seriously, do the x-ray doctor thing. Even if it's just for piece of mind. About a month ago, I had a similar bail where a rear wheel casing tomahawked me into the ground. I hurt my sternum pretty bad and because I already had a plated and wired ribcage and sternum, I didn't want to take any risks. Went and did the doctor thing, turns out nothing was broken, just trauma to the affected area. But just knowing that I didn't bend the plates etc was worth the bills.

On a side note...

post-10758-0-15931200-1414045835_thumb.jpg

I wonder which doctor HayleyEarth has on speed dial :ph34r:  :whistling:

And next time you have a medical question go to a medical expert. If you must use the Internet at least go to a medical forum.

I'm not being difficult or funny but really this is plain irresponsible and silly.

And next time you have a medical question go to a medical expert. If you must use the Internet at least go to a medical forum.

I'm not being difficult or funny but really this is plain irresponsible and silly.

I agree completely.

Not seeking proper medical attention after a bad accident could find you causing much more serious damage. A shift of your structure in your shoulder could crush a nerve leaving lasting damage.

But what would I know - I am no doctor.

Archived