Road race tyre choice

Spirog

Questions:

1. Is there any value on considering going tubeless? I think the Zonda's can handle it.

2. Is it worth buying a race day set of tyres?

3. If yes to 2, which are best?

1. No, not till there are better tyres and not till sealants can deal with cuts versus penetration punctures.

2. 1 Tyre to do them all.

3. Maxxis Columbiere . (Nylon breaker puncture protection and nice and grippy)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started using Vittoria rubino pro about 6 years ago..... ill never think of trying anything else...!!! Love the way they feel!! I wanted o try out GP4000 but dont feel the need to

10 000km... yohh !! Really? If thats the case i got to try them... (if its real)  :thumbup:

Yip, I am the same. Wont run anything else.

The Pro version is a foldable tyre so now tyre leavers needed to get on and off. (Oh and use the multi-tread version which make riding in the rain on wet roads on problem).

I get at least 10 000km from a set. On average probably 15 000km but then I weight 60Kg and ride them FH :whistling: 9 Bar. This helps with punctures I think? :ph34r: as I only get 1 or 2 a year, touch wood. The only down side is the grip level is not huge.

As for the GP 4000s, these I use as race tyres and boy oh boy do these things have some grip.

Currently running 22mm Tubbies on 50mm deep sections at 11 Bar. This combined with the make of wheel and frame model make for a seriously rough ride. But due to the frame I can't go bigger than a 23mm :cursing:. But It's worth it when you stand out the saddle and every ounce of power goes straight in to the road.

Oh forgot to add, as for the 23c vs 25c With the new move to 25mm they are mostly trying to keep the contact patch with the road the same as a 23c but increase the volume of the tyre for comfort.

I have Schwalbe Tubeless 25mm tyres. I eventually got a spare set because I am worried I will struggle to get them when needed. I am totally convinced about tubeless (and 25mm). I also have Vittoria Open Corsa tyres 23mm on another set of wheels. I love the bigger contact patch on the 25mm.

I'm getting interested in them toobless

I'm getting interested in them toobless

2 years. 1 puncture (a cut) early <20km into a race. Finished without stopping (got a PPA index of 14 for the race) with 2.5 bar in the tyre. Corners was tricky and standing didn't work but I finished. What more can you ask of a tyre?

2 years. 1 puncture (a cut) early <20km into a race. Finished without stopping (got a PPA index of 14 for the race) with 2.5 bar in the tyre. Corners was tricky and standing didn't work but I finished. What more can you ask of a tyre?

Wow!

I race with tubbies

But need durability for those training rides.

Wil it fit onto Mavic Ksyrium Elites (training hoops)?

Rims are very specific for tubeless. They have a different cross section (a deeper lip).I d think you hoops will be right . Sorry

If you can get 24mm Grand prix go for that, else 23mm GP4000S are good value for money and suitable for both training and racing.

If you looking for a pure racing tire look at the Pro4 or UltremoZX HD, the only problem with these they wear off quickly.

Rims are very specific for tubeless. They have a different cross section (a deeper lip).I d think you hoops will be right . Sorry

Oraait, I'll investigate more.

Oraait, I'll investigate more.

You need a rim with a proper hook bead.

This will not be like MTB's where one can play around, you are playing with very high pressures, don't want to hit the ground at 70 km/ph.

Wow!

I race with tubbies

But need durability for those training rides.

Wil it fit onto Mavic Ksyrium Elites (training hoops)?

Can't make those Ksyriums tubeless. (well I suppose you can but definitely not designed for it)

Archived