Germiston 5150

ADe

Why are we going to get penalised for not wearing one?

Sorry its a novice question i know but please educate me.

Two ways:

1. Wetsuit can help you keep your form during swim (if its fitted correctly)

2. Extra buoyancy can help, especially if you drag your legs, with making your more aquadynamic in the water 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we going to get penalised for not wearing one?

Sorry its a novice question i know but please educate me.

There's no penalty imposed.

What he means is that swimming with a wetsuit is faster than without one - probably 1-2 minutes over 1500m (so swimming without one is a "penalty" in the sense that you lose some time to someone wearing a wetsuit)

This is mainly due to the bouyancy a wetsuit gives you, as it positions your body "higher" in the water and you have less drag (particularly in the lower half of your body as it holds your legs up).

This benefit can however be negated by the time it takes trying to get the thing off in transition!

Taking the thing off is easier than putting it on, but still time consuming. I made the mistake on Saturday of putting the thing on the wrong way round (tri-suit the zip is in front / wetsuit zip is supposed to be at the back) so had to get it off and do it all over again. Frustrating! I still gained about 5mins on the swim, I sure won't take that long to get it off...

Two ways:

1. Wetsuit can help you keep your form during swim (if its fitted correctly)

2. Extra buoyancy can help, especially if you drag your legs, with making your more aquadynamic in the water 

It gives people like me a fighting chance hahahaha :clap:

Taking the thing off is easier than putting it on, but still time consuming. I made the mistake on Saturday of putting the thing on the wrong way round (tri-suit the zip is in front / wetsuit zip is supposed to be at the back) so had to get it off and do it all over again. Frustrating! I still gained about 5mins on the swim, I sure won't take that long to get it off...

HAHAHA - So glad to read this - thought I was the only one to have done that...   I did that in the second tri I ever did.  Problem was as air temp was warm that day so I had it on up to my waste until a few minutes before the start.  So, as we near the start time,  pulled on at arms and tried to zip - only then realised my mistake.  Que frantic wetsuit removal and refitting 3 minutes before the gun goes off.  At least I provided entertainment for those around me...

Check my suit for this weekend ???? I might be slow but it will give people sufficient time to admire my suit ????

Edit: In my happiness I forgot to attach the photo ????

post-38268-0-91609500-1446057799_thumb.jpg

Morning All

Time is getting min now. Hope all are well and injury free (Unlike me, but on the positive i am still able to compete so i could have been worse) and ready for this Sunday.

Do you experienced folks have any tips for us novices especially in the swim?

Looks like the wind is here for better or worse

post-46817-0-84758400-1446096210_thumb.png

post-46817-0-11711800-1446096226_thumb.png

Just have fun .... its a great event, don't stress too much about factors like the wind, in the morning it should be docile.

as for the swim, enjoy it..you will have more than enough time so take breathers every now and again if you wish. Don't put yourself under pressure. just enjoy it.

and use sunscreen.... I learnt this the hard way 2 years ago there in overcast conditions.... lots of sunscreen. and hydrate a lot

Morning All

Time is getting min now. Hope all are well and injury free (Unlike me, but on the positive i am still able to compete so i could have been worse) and ready for this Sunday.

Do you experienced folks have any tips for us novices especially in the swim?

Looks like the wind is here for better or worse

attachicon.gif1.png

attachicon.gif2.png

That looks like some good wind. Pity we are starting so late in the morning.

Advice for the swim? Try to relax, especially if you are new to openwater swims with other people around you, kicking you, bumping you, etc. 

Just take it easy and try to find some open water for yourself.

Sight often to make sure you arent swimming too far off course - if you cant see the buoys just try to judge where everyone else is swimming.

Most important is to realise that this isnt a 1.5km swimming race, its the first of 3 disciplines. Try to get into a comfortable rhythm and enjoy the warmup!

I wonder if they will try the "staggered start" within batches, like in IM70.3 Durbs.  I thought it worked very well.  

I wonder if they will try the "staggered start" within batches, like in IM70.3 Durbs.  I thought it worked very well.  

I doubt it as they have not mentioned this at all in the documentation. with 1200 odd athletes and 5 waves its will be around 200-300 per wave ....great idea but I doubt it

I liked the staggered start but I hear it wont be used for IM in PE either, hope it is though.

the only criticism I have of the staggered start is that it may give an athlete an unfair advantage as the conditions change in time which could favour athletes that elect to start earlier as an example in PE. (of course the converse could also be true). With kona slots becoming so valuable every little advantage will be abused I spose.

I doubt it as they have not mentioned this at all in the documentation. with 1200 odd athletes and 5 waves its will be around 200-300 per wave ....great idea but I doubt it

I liked the staggered start but I hear it wont be used for IM in PE either, hope it is though.

the only criticism I have of the staggered start is that it may give an athlete an unfair advantage as the conditions change in time which could favour athletes that elect to start earlier as an example in PE. (of course the converse could also be true). With kona slots becoming so valuable every little advantage will be abused I spose.

AFAIK the self seeding staggered swim start will the same for all IM & 70.3 events going forward, not sure about 5150 though

Not enough numbers for staggering the swim starts especially with the waves.  Was not done for Bella Bella 5150 which was just after Durban 70.3

Not enough numbers for staggering the swim starts especially with the waves.  Was not done for Bella Bella 5150 which was just after Durban 70.3

Thank goodness. Hate the staggered start

Let me see if i've got this wrong

The waves go off and we have until 1pm to be in so if you have an 8am start you have 5 hours to finish but if you were unlucky enough to be born a woman you have a 9am start so you have 4 hours to finish? How does that work - the weaker athletes must just balega to the end?!?!

Maybe this is a rookie statement i dunno but that how i read it?

Whats a good time for one of these events?

Let me see if i've got this wrong

The waves go off and we have until 1pm to be in so if you have an 8am start you have 5 hours to finish but if you were unlucky enough to be born a woman you have a 9am start so you have 4 hours to finish? How does that work - the weaker athletes must just balega to the end?!?!

Maybe this is a rookie statement i dunno but that how i read it?

Whats a good time for one of these events?

In theory there are the same cut offs for all athletes, the later you start the later you are allowed to finish, your cutoffs apply to when you started....the reality though is that if you started earlier you get more time and you will in all likelihood get a medal even if you miss your wave's cutoffs. I don't think they penalize you in that regard at 5150...in others they do .

No such thing as good time as its relative to you and your training/age group/circumstances. IIRC the winner normally takes around 2 hours for men and 2:10 for women or thereabouts. If you are relatively fit and know the disciplines then I would think 3 hours would be a good time, if less fit etc 3:30 ..

Archived