The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Do you all think its ok to have this weekend as a last "big millage" training weekend?

I second that question.

If i do another long ride this weekend like 200km+ will my legs recover 100% in 10 days? also must i do 1 hour rides in the last week? 

I went into the race last year with stiff legs,Finished, but  I DONT WANT STIFFNESS AGAIN THIS YEAR.

Any advice Pro's??

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you all think its ok to have this weekend as a last "big millage" training weekend?

ZOT Hill repeats, I'd say about 30 of them, Sat and Sunday..  :whistling: 

Next week Stutt and Back (via Komga)   :whistling:

We did it on an 19h ride. I know it starts to taste not so nice, but it worked. I get what you are saying about effort level, but that only means that I will have excess energy? Real food will be better I understand that, but if potatoes are the only thing they have? Your body is going to start rejecting carbs aswell at some point. Guess it depends on what you train with? Just dont train with stuff that you wont have access to during the race.

the average weekend warrior usually gains a kilo or three during a dryland event.

those water tables are amazing.

Remember this before during and after Rooiberg.

Also huge advice to all the slower riders...

If you are caught in the Rooitberg mountains the next afternoon & evening make sure you have a light again because you will be in dark valleys in Rooiberg.

So make sure you pack your extra light in at the last check point if you are planning a time of anything over 25+ hours riding time.

from 17:00 onward in the Valleys after Rooiberg YOU WILL NEED LIGHT AGAIN.

You will only finish late at night 25 hours and more...

Take note!!.

Rooiberg.. Yes you will go over the mountain in the background and behind those and behind those and so on...

post-44959-0-95459100-1427699863_thumb.jpg

the average weekend warrior usually gains a kilo or three during a dryland event.

those water tables are amazing.

IMHO if you are worried about gaining weight on a race as tough as this...so many other things to focus on, but I get what you are saying. Just my 2c on lights; you can not have enough, but make sure your light has a dim, if you ride on someone's wheel your light can cast a shadow and then they cannnot see, so they will not allow you to suck weel, or you will be infront the whole time.

The fear of falling off your bike should be a good motivator....

We will be doing it as a group (all solo entries) for this exact reason, and the fact that from about 200km any form of motivation and company goes a looong way

If I can keep up, I would like to join this group of yours!!

We did it on an 19h ride. I know it starts to taste not so nice, but it worked. I get what you are saying about effort level, but that only means that I will have excess energy? Real food will be better I understand that, but if potatoes are the only thing they have? Your body is going to start rejecting carbs aswell at some point. Guess it depends on what you train with? Just dont train with stuff that you wont have access to during the race.

From my experience with Dryland events, they will have proper food at the water points and checkpoints. Those guys are fantastic event organizers. I don't think we'll run short of real food at the event.

so they will not allow you to suck weel, or you will be infront the whole time.

How do you "disallow" someone from sucking your wheel? Sounds like a great option to have when cycling...

How do you "disallow" someone from sucking your wheel? Sounds like a great option to have when cycling...

Agreed, wheel sucking?

mabie these?...

post-44959-0-60996200-1427703019_thumb.jpg

post-44959-0-44181000-1427703040_thumb.jpg

post-44959-0-33283700-1427703265_thumb.jpg

haha on the 361 you will have lots of time to think of ways, none of which should be discussed on a public forum.

Yup - in fact, if you're in good shape, you can do a long slow ride the weekend before and still have great legs.

18 dayzzz just a reminder!!! getting so excited!!!

How do you keep yourself awake from 1am to that 6am stretch? I am not taking music with. hmmm

It's all about routine. Set yourself mini targets. Drink in 15 minutes time, snack at half past the hour, water point in 10kms etc. Give yourself short term goals. Ride what you see in front of you and don't think about the daunting amount of kilometres ahead of you. Try to soak up the experience. Make mental notes of things that happen. Your mind is the enemy, not your body, and by keeping it distracted, your body can get on with the task at hand.

Archived