[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Looks like either:

a) determined team with their race faces on

b) a couple who've had a row in the car on the way down over who forgot the shammy cream.

Hahahaha

Definitely not a couple.

You must see what Wyatt looks like when he puts his race face on.  :ph34r:

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to meet Wyatt and Carpet.

The announcer didn't quite know what theHubSA was, and there were a few hands up when it was mentioned in VA.

Lol Ja we thought so. I didn't know if he meant the hub in general or a team or what. I saw you after the race but you where busy so I didn't want to disturb you.

Thanks for a GREAT race, VERY WELL organised. I cant fault anything. VA was a good race, Lasted till 118km then the legs said thanks for the ride we going home. Did the last 7km solo. Awesome +40kph avg for 125km

It was a good route

route was clearly marked and well indicated no gripes at all

As for the actual race, I found it allot harder than the R4S, stayed with he elites till we hit the hill at 96 km, and my legs just couldn't go anymore.

Myself Stefan, Bryan and Jarrod formed a pace line and chased but that blew to pieces when we went for the second loop, and I basically solo'd from 120km on wards, legs started feeling good at 130 km, ended on a 4:13, not to bad I rate seems to be about 13 min of the main group.

My only suggestion to you guys would be, is to try and get something up like the have at the Lost city classic. A pavilion with shade close the the medal station so your spectators or people waiting for other people to finish can have a seat and some shade.

Brilliant race

It was a good route

route was clearly marked and well indicated no gripes at all

As for the actual race, I found it allot harder than the R4S, stayed with he elites till we hit the hill at 96 km, and my legs just couldn't go anymore.

Myself Stefan, Bryan and Jarrod formed a pace line and chased but that blew to pieces when we went for the second loop, and I basically solo'd from 120km on wards, legs started feeling good at 130 km, ended on a 4:13, not to bad I rate seems to be about 13 min of the main group.

My only suggestion to you guys would be, is to try and get something up like the have at the Lost city classic. A pavilion with shade close the the medal station so your spectators or people waiting for other people to finish can have a seat and some shade.

Brilliant race

I think I saw you after the race, I recognised the propel! In a FORD ranger? Was busy waiting for someone I couldn't miss otherwise would have said Hi.

1st time I did the Event, and i can honestly say i will be back again. One of the most commonly used expressions when describing an event is "Lack of communication" ,Well here that wasn't the case. Thanks Gerald and everyone else involved including Rhonda who was in charge of the kiddies race.

The route itself was great and as mentioned before the personal touch of adding peoples names to their numbers was a great aid to start a conversation while bunch riding.

Big up to GW and everyone involved.

Well done to everybody involved in organizing this fantastic race. Parking, Start, Marshalls, road marking - everything was well organized. Even the riders in our bunch behaved well and we all had a safe ride. Thank you and well done - will be back

Well organized , thanks to all.

My race went well to 72 km , puncture which cost me a few minutes but then had lost the group I was with and kinda lost motivation and just plodded home from there.

Will be back for sure.

Looks like either:

a) determined team with their race faces on

b) a couple who've had a row in the car on the way down over who forgot the shammy cream.

Heavens Joe.

Nope, we will go with A.

Please keep the comments coming. We have our post mortem meeting tomorrow night and I'd like to give as much feedback as possible.

Good and bad. The bad requires work to improve and good will just confirm that we are getting things right.

Lol Ja we thought so. I didn't know if he meant the hub in general or a team or what. I saw you after the race but you where busy so I didn't want to disturb you.

It's a pity. This is my opportunity to meet hubbers. That said, this was the busiest I've been on race day.

We're you in front of the group when Henry (announcer) asked? White kit?

Thanks for a GREAT race, VERY WELL organised. I cant fault anything. VA was a good race, Lasted till 118km then the legs said thanks for the ride we going home. Did the last 7km solo. Awesome +40kph avg for 125km

Did the peloton catch the Elite convoy? I know the break passed the Elite's twice, but I'm getting conflicting reports about the bunch.

On our pre-ride, we had similar conditions, and we finished the 125km on a 34km/h average. Had a few toilet breaks and one puncture, otherwise we might have done about 36km/h.

Please keep the comments coming. We have our post mortem meeting tomorrow night and I'd like to give as much feedback as possible.

Good and bad. The bad requires work to improve and good will just confirm that we are getting things right.

Gerald, I didn't find the "bad" road surface bad at all.

Where the road narrowed just prior to that I took charge of the DL bunch and made sure to get Carpet out of any bad traffic or guys trying to muscle her in to the gutter.

The route was well laid out and the only place that raised alarm bells for me was at the intersection where we came back from Heidelberg to head back to the finish.

I am sure some cyclists will be tempted to just hook left, but then the results will raise alarm bells.

The start was nice and open with most of the cyclists being very well behaved.

The food could have been better  :blush:

The parking was great and the chap that cleaned the portaloo's needs a medal and a good pay cheque for that job.

Coming out of Heidelberg after the climb and heading left, the trucks did get pretty close.

Everything else was just top notch and I got this feeling that the race was more about the rider whereas other events are a big PR. engine that revolves around making money .

A great day out for any cyclist .

It's a pity. This is my opportunity to meet hubbers. That said, this was the busiest I've been on race day.

We're you in front of the group when Henry (announcer) asked? White kit?

Did the peloton catch the Elite convoy? I know the break passed the Elite's twice, but I'm getting conflicting reports about the bunch.

On our pre-ride, we had similar conditions, and we finished the 125km on a 34km/h average. Had a few toilet breaks and one puncture, otherwise we might have done about 36km/h.

I was at the front but in black and blue kit. Myself and Wez-O where next to each other.

We got quite close to them but where told to back off, But then they upped the pace and we never saw them again. We did pick up a few of the dropped elites just after going down heidelburg hill and turning left.

I had a puncture at 25km.  So my race was done.  Crused in with the old ballies VB....

Marshals EVERYWHERE!  Thank you for that.

Race ref was good and bike marshals helped a lot.

Road surface was 8/10 because of the road works which one can never foresee.  That said, If we did not go through that one bad 1km, we would not have had the opportunity to do the 110km piece of "nice" route.

Finish was awesome. Barriers well out of the way for the sprint boys.

Real coke at the finish and a cool medal gave it a cherry on top.

Thank you for a very well organised event. 

I'm a silent member here, but just thought I'd pop up and say thanks for a great event. I did the 65km on my 29er in 2h31 @ 26.15km/h (you can see why I'm a silent hubber :P) From start to finish I have nothing but praise for the organizing team, as well as fellow cyclists. Everybody was very chilled.

I thanked every marshal I passed, they did exceptional work on the day and deserve every bit of praise. We only had one encounter with a truck, along Suikerbosrand.

The wind was brutal, worse than R4S from my saddle. Pretty demoralizing, as it felt like I needed to granny gear it downhill just to keep moving forward. I felt better when I pulled up to a group of roadies suffering just as much. Looked like a tough day of cycling no matter who you were, or what you rode. But ... whoever said cycling was supposed to be easy? :)

This is by no means a complaint, more a suggestion. Perhaps next year there could be a dedicated medal handout area, like R4S. I walked right past the one group of girls standing on the grass, as they were surrounded by cyclists. Then I was given a long distance medal, which I returned, before being pointed to the short distance medals. Again, not a complaint. I just can't help but wonder if any guys went home yesterday without a medal? Awesome looking medal by the way!

Thanks again. Great day out.

I was in DL with a couple of friends.

Started towards the back of the bunch and saw Wyatt and Carpet towards the front.

Wyatt was putting us all in the gutter  :whistling:  which made it hard to get to the front.

As we approached the big intersection turning right towards Heidelberg, one of the guys clipped a cone (very heavy cones those) but stayed upright.

The lady in front of me wasnt so lucky and she went down hard. I somehow managed to stop and not go straight into her.

She was okay, lost some skin here and there. Bike wasnt too badly damaged but she couldnt shift to the big blade.

Group was long gone by then so did a solo effort, formed a small group after Heidelberg and came home in about 3h08

Very well organised race

:thumbup:

This was a team ( club ) effort, so if you see or know Germiston Wheelers members please let them know. As mentioned before, I'm just a link in the chain that turns the wheels.

Gerald, you being very modest. You the brains behind this race without you it would be a completely different event.

Give yourself the credit that you deserve !!!!

Archived