The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

There seem to be two distinct types of people, those who like Spez and those who hate "Spaz" (as it's often referred to)

Perhaps there's a tiny percentage who are indifferent, but in general, I think,  the above statement applies.

and I want to know why?

this comment in another thread about Scalpel vs Epic got me wondering again

"Scalpel ..... whole bike is awesome, stick a good set of wheels on and ul have a 10 year plan bike, or u can jump on the spez train and dress urself from top to bottom in spez clothes and push ur bike up hills"

No other bike brand, that I can think of, creates this reaction from people. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Spaz bikes are some of the most beautiful creations in the cycling industry, but unfortunately many of the Spaz riders are pricks kitted out like a Las Vegas advertising campaign for Spaz. I have nothing against the brand but not to fond of the riders, I have noticed this changing but the majority are still a bit iffy (much like BMW drivers :whistling: ). 

Then with regards to the Canondale with only half a fork... I shall leave it there. 

WHOOOHOOO it's Friday!!!!!!!

The anti-Spez vibe is even stronger in the USA mainly as a result of Mike Sinyard's bullying tactics where he perceives the most tenuous trademark or patent infringements. Take the Volagi case and more recently the lawsuit against a Canadian bike/coffee shop that dared to call itself The epic bike shop or something like that. The backlash was so severe that even Sinyard had to publicly admit that they had messed up. Some of those vibes must have crossed the Atlantic and that is the reason why I'll never buy Spez, in spite of Burry, not even shoes no matter how good they are. 

Edited by EugeneS

I guess it does not help when the dealer refers to his bike as a Porsche and the rest as Kia and VW.

Maybe a tad arrogant in my view.

Not to mention my mate just shelled out R4000 to get his Porsche serviced.

Specialized is a great bike but unfortunately has become the victim of its own success - coupled with people`s envy and jealousy.

Im not a main stream kind of guy so I try to stay away from Pop Culture.

I go for ride value rather than show value.

Specialized is a great bike and has become the go-to option for many people who fall under the `All the gear - no idea` banner. Specialized has the answer for people who want to `look` pro in all matching kit.

I'm for riders - not show boaters. 

Herewith lies my gripe.

Its the people who `claims` the brand - not the brand - that I have a problem with.

`Anyone with too much money and no imagination can buy a Ferrari - it takes a car fundi to pic a year model, engine, suspension type, interior ect to suit his needs.`

I think they are beautiful bikes.

I also think you pay for the name.

I also know that once you had a Specialized you will probably stay with the brand.

My partner has a Spec and I have a Trek.

Both stunning bikes.

"Different strokes for different folks"

No Specialized discussions are ever about the actual bikes so if your identity is stronger than your choice of bike brand you can enjoy some terrific engineering.

Which raises the real question: what kind of person would be upset about someone else's choice of bike? In the spirit of Friday then:

A Spez hater is somebody who pictures himself as an above average bike rider ("real mountainbiker") but he's frustrated because there is no defined way for him to gain the recognition he's craving while others can go around claiming to be mountain bikers without riding the black route. For some reason it frustrates him no end that not every person who chose to buy a Specialized is world cup winning material. 

I think much of it is blowback due to the acolytes' fervent insistence that Specialized is the be all and end all of all things cycling combined with negatively perceived business practices of the parent company.

Fantastic bikes, but some riders do look a bit iffy kitted from head to toe in heavily branded Spez kit. Like a fat 56 year old accountant on his Fat Boy in full Harley branded kit, pretending that he lives the life, while his equally obese wife tries to fit her huge saddlebags on the back. 1%er for life!!!

Mmmmmmm this is going to be interesting. I don't have a problem with the Spez, the technology and research on the bike is absolutely fantastic... that being said though I have to agree that any person who has some cash to throw around gets one, simply because it has the big red S. Even if the know f***all about the bike or MTB'ng for that matter.

The stigma is a lot like the stigma around BMW drivers  :ph34r:

Personally... out of principle I won't buy one for myself, I'd rather spend my cash on another brand... and yes I'm very biased towards Giant...  :devil:

Bring on the popcorn.

Edited by Musketeer

I think much of it is blowback due to the acolytes' fervent insistence that Specialized is the be all and end all of all things cycling combined with negatively perceived business practices of the parent company.

Fantastic bikes, but some riders do look a bit iffy kitted from head to toe in heavily branded Spez kit. Like a fat 56 year old accountant on his Fat Tall Boy in full Harley Santa Cruz branded kit, pretending that he lives the life, while his equally obese wife tries to fit her huge saddlebags on the back. 1%er for life!!!

Fixed