The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

I got me Venge through an insurance claim at an amazing price.

My S-works Tarmac broke (ok, I crashed it) and got a C59 as an insurance replacement.

I wish I had waited for a Spez.....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are very cool bikes.

People like to identify with a high profile successful brand.Similar with Pina and SC :blush:

Personally I will not ride Giant,Scott,Merida etc

Not because there is anything wrong with them but I like to be a little different from the masses 

I ride an 26" Spez mtb.  Do I still have any freinds here??      ****crickets****

Maybe.....but if you happen to have a spez helmet, shirt, shorts, or pair of shoes or socks that even remotly look like they have a spez "s" on them, you are screwed....enjoy your exile.......

The cycling hipsters have spoken.....

Horror stories about their after sale service have steered me away from their bikes

I also don't see anything particularly specialized about their bikes but they make fantastic shoes, I wont wear anything else. They also make great helmet and nice gloves.

I ride an 26" Spez mtb.  Do I still have any freinds here??      ****crickets****

now we are two.... :ph34r:

I am a big fan of Specialized, I even bought a Tarmac back in 2008. In those days Specialized was something unique, not many people had them.

Today they have become the "must have" bike. Everybody wants a Specialized and everybody digs deeply into their pockets to have one.

Although I still like the brand, I probably won't buy one again because too many people have them.

I like to have something different.

I am a big fan of Specialized, I even bought a Tarmac back in 2008. In those days Specialized was something unique, not many people had them.

Today they have become the "must have" bike. Everybody wants a Specialized and everybody digs deeply into their pockets to have one.

Although I still like the brand, I probably won't buy one again because too many people have them.

I like to have something different.

Why would you potentially sacrifice your ride enjoyment to not ride a certain brand. Surely enjoyment is priority? Just interested.

Maybe.....but if you happen to have a spez helmet, shirt, shorts, or pair of shoes or socks that even remotly look like they have a spez "s" on them, you are screwed....enjoy your exile.......

The cycling hipsters have spoken.....

I regularly commit a more serious offence.....if I mtb two days in a row and my mtb kit is still in the wash, I wear my roadie kit :ph34r:  I'm the weird chick in the bush wearing vanderkitten :wacko:

No Specialized discussions are ever about the actual bikes so if your identity is stronger than your choice of bike brand you can enjoy some terrific engineering.

Which raises the real question: what kind of person would be upset about someone else's choice of bike? In the spirit of Friday then:

A Spez hater is somebody who pictures himself as an above average bike rider ("real mountainbiker") but he's frustrated because there is no defined way for him to gain the recognition he's craving while others can go around claiming to be mountain bikers without riding the black route. For some reason it frustrates him no end that not every person who chose to buy a Specialized is world cup winning material. 

Fixed for ya: A Spez lover is somebody who pictures himself as an above average bike rider ("real mountainbiker") but he's frustrated because there is no defined way for him to gain the recognition he's craving except by buying a Spez while others can go around  riding the black route on anything from hardtails to Giants. For some reason it frustrates him no end that not every person who chose to buy a Specialized is instantly world cup winning material. 

Just love how cyclists on premier brand bikes wearing quality kit are always labelled as rich, fat and slow with no idea how to ride a bike!. Often hear how the middle aged dude on the Dogma, clad in Assos, or the guy on his R100K S-Works were trashed by someone on a budget bike.....wtf! Ride what you want to, or what you can afford, and forget about the other guys in the peloton who were not-so-cash-strapped when they walked into the bike shop. Back to the Specialized brand, almost every cyclist that I know who ride various brands of good bikes own some or other Specialized product, may it be a saddle, shoes, gloves or just a little mini pump. 

#iamspecialized            

Guest Omega Man

Some Fatbike Dune Riding. Courtesy of SA-Alpine-Addiction and County Ford

post-18968-0-51153400-1415954738_thumb.jpg

I don't care what brand you ride or wear ,If you're ahead of me I'm going to do my best to get in front and stay in front.

The only time you should be kitted out head to toe in a particular brand is when they are sponsoring you and your contract says you must. Otherwise you are a knob.

Spez is pretty much Apple.

Beautifully designed 

Very compatible with their own products

Fanboys and haters 

Pricier than it should be

Patent whores

You seem to focus on the top end S Works models with your statement. I don't perceive a say mid-range Camber to be more expensive than a Scott Genius or a Giant Trance. And a mid-range camber has very little proprietary tech on. 

Archived