The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget about Specialized or Canondale and get a real bike. Santa Cruz.

As soon as I hit my midlife crisis. Give me 10 years or so.

I appreciated Specialized products for their quality, not for the brand. 

The company might have some bullying cases behind them, but on the other hand they also do good for communities and riders.

I have seen a few cases where Specialized sponsored bikes for communities and for unprivileged riders. Then again they have great riders, Matt Hunter and Troy Brosnan are both cool laid back guys.

I find my Stumpy FSR to be the best thing I have ever bought, and the Enduro is siiick!!!! I have a pair of 2FO flat riding shoes as well, and they are the BOMB!

I have huge respect for Specialized, but there are many equally/more awesome brands. 

I believe that Spaz bikes are some of the most beautiful creations in the cycling industry, but unfortunately many of the Spaz riders are pricks kitted out like a Las Vegas advertising campaign for Spaz. I have nothing against the brand but not to fond of the riders, I have noticed this changing but the majority are still a bit iffy (much like BMW drivers :whistling: ). 

Then with regards to the Canondale with only half a fork... I shall leave it there. 

WHOOOHOOO it's Friday!!!!!!!

on the head, hit it, you did (with apologies to Yoda)

People must ride what they want to ride and wear the kit they feel good in. At the end of the day its really about riding bikes with mates and having fun. Does it really matter what other people think about your bike and kit??

I have a big problem with the arrogance and hypocrisy of the brand.

All these lawsuits for trademark infringements, when their first production bikes were copies of someone else.

Don't get me wrong they make great stuff (e.g. Enduro and Stumpjumper FSR)

What I dislike about Spez in SA is that there are way too many Epics sold in relation to Cambers, Stumpies and Enduros. We are the only country in the world where this happens. It's become a yuppie brand full of ex golfers.

What I dislike about Spez in SA is that there are way too many Epics sold in relation to Cambers, Stumpies and Enduros. We are the only country in the world where this happens. It's become a yuppie brand full of ex golfers.

Not so, it is because we have a stage race culture and our trails are not nearly on the same level technically as Canada, the States and Europe. The Epic is perfectly suited for what we get in our stage races and most of our trails.  

I prefer riding my Stumpy FSR on stage races. Not because I NEED 140mm travel, but because I LIKE the added comfort. It probably costs me 10% a day on my time, but when I am not out stage-racing I know I can give it a good rip down the ST. In the perfect world I would probably drop another R50k on a well-specced Epic for racing. 

I totally get why most prefer to buy an Epic instead of a Camber or Stumpy FSR, 

Not so, it is because we have a stage race culture and our trails are not nearly on the same level technically as Canada, the States and Europe. The Epic is perfectly suited for what we get in our stage races and most of our trails.  

I prefer riding my Stumpy FSR on stage races. Not because I NEED 140mm travel, but because I LIKE the added comfort. It probably costs me 10% a day on my time, but when I am not out stage-racing I know I can give it a good rip down the ST. In the perfect world I would probably drop another R50k on a well-specced Epic for racing. 

I totally get why most prefer to buy an Epic instead of a Camber or Stumpy FSR, 

Well said, and I agree 100 percent with you. If we had the bike parks and trails some countries have, I would not even own a Epic. I would have a Camber and a Enduro.

If you ask non cyclists to name a bike brand or two, I can almost guarantee that Spez will be one of the brand names they drop.

With the popularity of cycling (mtb in particular) on the rise in SA, thes previous non cyclists are heading into shops and going for the brand they know (the name of), and it just so happens that it is Spez(not sure if it is due to advertising, what bikes they see around, or what). This has most probably led to beginners being encouraged by LBSs to purchase a bike that will last, and yes Spez will last,resulting in more beginners on bikes that are better than their skill level.

This may then give off the impression that these people are yuppies and just want to flash their cash, but I think it may just be a lack of knowledge...anyway, who really cares what bike another person is riding, if you are jealous then just make sure that you stroke your own ego by being faster than the "yuppie" on the new Spez/Cannondale/Giant or whatever.

Well said, and I agree 100 percent with you. If we had the bike parks and trails some countries have, I would not even own a Epic. I would have a Camber and a Enduro.

Imagine taking the ski lifts up at Morzine or Whistler with an Enduro... 

Not quite the same as saying imagine climbing Dorsberg or Paarl mountain with an Enduro... 

Spaz riders are mostly oversensitive, far too serious and hardly ever great .... ragging  the brand and revving them up is a fun pastime of mine.

Imagine taking the ski lifts up at Morzine or Whistler with an Enduro... 

Not quite the same as saying imagine climbing Dorsberg or Paarl mountain with an Enduro... 

I have ridden a couple of 160mm travel heavy bikes up some serious climbs, it just takes a little longer that's all :P

I have ridden a couple of 160mm travel heavy bikes up some serious climbs, it just takes a little longer that's all :P

Sure, the same way I can ride the downhill course at thaba with a rigid hardtail...as with you, I will just take a bit longer on the down.

Imagine taking the ski lifts up at Morzine or Whistler with an Enduro..

One can only dream hey.

Sure, but thats not everyone's cup of tea. We get all giddy if we have a shuttle day once every 3 months. Imagine getting all the free vertical with a ski lift pass. You'll be doing triple the distance in about the same time.

Archived