Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R400 v R1700 plus...

think wet weather soft rubber tyres vs a hard compound tyre .... the one just has so much more traction.

I get what you are saying RE the price though.....been looking for half decent SPD shoes and you have to look 1.5K and up for a pair.....and I do lots and lots and lots of mileage, so looking for something that will last.

think wet weather soft rubber tyres vs a hard compound tyre .... the one just has so much more traction.

I get what you are saying RE the price though.....been looking for half decent SPD shoes and you have to look 1.5K and up for a pair.....and I do lots and lots and lots of mileage, so looking for something that will last.

I know I am just playing with Iwan, but that said if funds are an issue flat shoes with vibram rubber soles are a reasonable alternative.

This has my interest in a big way.

Been keen to give the flat pedal thing a proper spin, my SPD shoes are close to duying and they are around the same price as the 5:10's .... so might take the leap.

Should maybe just slap a pair of flats on my bike first and try it out with my H-Tec trail running shoes with Viram soles first to see how things work.

It is really a big investment moving over to flats if you are running SPD's already.

I'm in the same boat. I was having a look at those spez shoes tho. Also will need to get some flat pedals. I don't want to break the bank as I want to buy new fishing stuff also...

I'm in the same boat. I was having a look at those spez shoes tho. Also will need to get some flat pedals. I don't want to break the bank as I want to buy new fishing stuff also...

Don't you be bringing this talk of spending money on other hobbies here.

There can be only one :)

Don't you be bringing this talk of spending money on other hobbies here.

There can be only one :)

Hahahaha! Sorry man.

Ek's lankal lus vir ñ maklike fight.

That's assuming the smell of all the dead cats he appears to be wearing doesn't overwhelm you.

That's assuming the smell of all the dead cats he appears to be wearing doesn't overwhelm you.

Hahahahaha!

I got caught in the rain the other day and my 5.10s filled up like buckets. I guess thats one downside, the Freeriders (at least) are like sponges.

The Five Ten Hellcat takes a cleat. Amazing! I have to get some.

I know. Self quoting. Sin. So.... Anyone used these? Wondering if the gap in rubber of the cleat impacts grip at all. In theory, they shouldn't because the pins are around the outsides mostly.. . But any first hand experience comments would be good...

I know I am just playing with Iwan, but that said if funds are an issue flat shoes with vibram rubber soles are a reasonable alternative.

Let me better explain myself: I get the "I already have these" and am in no way saying everyone must run out and spend (a lot of) money just to try flat pedals.

What I was aiming at was if you do it and it sucks it could have more to do with the shoe / pedal combo you're trying rather than "flat pedals and shoes don't work for me". 

A riding buddies wife was riding flats with her hiking shoes (good quality, reputed brand) because she didn't want to ride with cleats due to a nasty episode or two. But she wasn't enjoying the flat experience either and just about gave up riding. Couple of mates pulled together and bought her 5.10's for her bday and we can't get her off her bike (or keep up on the climbs!).

Don't spend unnecessary money and definitely don't spend money you don't have, just know that 5.10's...

giphy.gif

slightly off topic, but i see many of you wondering to go with flats (and good shoes) or not.  so maybe a little something for those who are still in two minds...

i started riding bikes from back when I was 4, so i always thought I can ride and am pretty fast on singletrack, but could never do proper tricks.  ive been hesitant of jumps, couldn't (and still can't) wheelie properly, manual was beyond me and i couldn't hop much more than a pavement (with cleats only).

so with the youtube era coming along a few years ago and every second video you see involves some dude with sick bike skills, I thought I should make a childhood dream come true and give it a go to improve my skills.  Bought a book (that one from Brian Lopez) and practiced a bit, but after falling my arse off a LOT on relatively easy jumps, i seemed to have lost interest.

buying my first trail bike 2 months ago, I promised myself that I'd learn to ride this bike properly and take it to Moab/Whilster in the next 5 years.  Got flats (and 5.10's) and signed up for some lessons with Peach.

It's only been a bit more than a month and I can't tell you how much more I enjoy riding a bike now!  I'm by no means exceptional yet, but I managed to clear a 350mm bunnyhop the other day (with flats), I can do a track stand as long as I want, getting better at endo's, I'm getting the hang of a manual and I'm not super terrified of getting some air anymore.

I couldn't believe how quick it is to learn if you actually get taught.  For some reason we take lessons when we play tennis, guitar, golf or whatever else, but nobody ever teaches us to ride a bike properly.  Id strongly advise skills lessons and I'd strongly advise flats to anybody that remotely likes mountainbiking.  If you are anything like me, you will never regret doing this!  I'm like a little 5 year old kid again!

edit:  spelling

Edited by rudi-h

I know. Self quoting. Sin. So.... Anyone used these? Wondering if the gap in rubber of the cleat impacts grip at all. In theory, they shouldn't because the pins are around the outsides mostly.. . But any first hand experience comments would be good...

Not really, but there have been reports of slightly less grip due to the increased stiffness of the clipless variety of 5-10's as they have that insert in the sole for the cleats. Trawl the MTBR / Pinkbike forums for more info, as they are international, and someone somewhere would have done it before and written about it.