Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

post-62386-0-19461300-1416467015_thumb.jpg

I know. Self quoting. Sin. So.... Anyone used these? Wondering if the gap in rubber of the cleat impacts grip at all. In theory, they shouldn't because the pins are around the outsides mostly.. . But any first hand experience comments would be good...

I am also looking at going the flat pedal route, and was wondering the exact same thing. I was thinking of getting the Funn Mamba One Sided Clipless pedals, and the 5.10s or Spez 2Flo clips, with the idea of being clipped in when I want to be, then flipping the pedal around to the flats when needed on technical sections. But, I am also concerned the cleat will lower the grip levels, and that it might just be better to get proper flats.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly off topic, but i see many of you wondering to go with flats (and good shoes) or not. so maybe a little something for those who are still in two minds...

i started riding bikes from back when I was 4, so i always thought I can ride and am pretty fast on singletrack, but could never do proper tricks. ive been hesitant of jumps, couldn't (and still can't) wheelie properly, manual was beyond me and i couldn't hop much more than a pavement (with cleats only).

so with the youtube era coming along a few years ago and every second video you see involves some dude with sick bike skills, I thought I should make a childhood dream come true and give it a go to improve my skills. Bought a book (that one from Brian Lopez) and practiced a bit, but after falling my arse off a LOT on relatively easy jumps, i seemed to have lost interest.

buying my first trail bike 2 months ago, I promised myself that I'd learn to ride this bike properly and take it to Moab/Whilster in the next 5 years. Got flats (and 5.10's) and signed up for some lessons with Peach.

It's only been a bit more than a month and I can't tell you how much more I enjoy riding a bike now! I'm by no means exceptional yet, but I managed to clear a 350mm bunnyhop the other day (with flats), I can do a track stand as long as I want, getting better at endo's, I'm getting the hang of a manual and I'm not super terrified of getting some air anymore.

I couldn't believe how quick it is to learn if you actually get taught. For some reason we take lessons when we play tennis, guitar, golf or whatever else, but nobody ever teaches us to ride a bike properly. Id strongly advise skills lessons and I'd strongly advise flats to anybody that remotely likes mountainbiking. If you are anything like me, you will never regret doing this! I'm like a little 5 year old kid again!

edit: spelling

This is EXACTLY what I want from my bike. Thanks! I have made up my mind then.

Don't bother clipping in...you can pedal almost as efficiently with flats as when clipped in...there's a vid about a guy trying to test this somewhere. He hooks up to one of those big cardio machines and does the same "route" clipped in and in flats...guess what, flats win. 

I don't reeeeallly believe this totally though, but I honestly do not bother with clipping in anymore...You can pull back very hard on flats and even pull upwards a fair amount as well so I do not miss clipping in whatsoever.

So...anyone wanna buy some CB Mallets? :P

attachicon.gifFUNN0015_medium.jpg

I am also looking at going the flat pedal route, and was wondering the exact same thing. I was thinking of getting the Funn Mamba One Sided Clipless pedals, and the 5.10s or Spez 2Flo clips, with the idea of being clipped in when I want to be, then flipping the pedal around to the flats when needed on technical sections. But, I am also concerned the cleat will lower the grip levels, and that it might just be better to get proper flats.

Oh, if you're riding with cleat-endowed shoes and then flip it over to the flat section, it won't be nearly as much grip as the cleat sits proud of the shoe. Unless the pedal is so concave that the cleat doesn't touch, I wouldn't do that at all. You don't want metal on metal when you're riding flats. 

AFAIK those pedals were designed with 2 things in mind - just random get on and ride as well as a dedicated cleat pedal, or changing it up when you want to ride flats or cleats on a single ride

Plus - I wouldn't want to ride those when it gets hairy. Lose contact with the pedal (which can happen if you're cleated OR uncleated) and you have to fiddle around with the pedal to get the right side. 

Compare that to dedicated flats or cleats where you can just locate the pedal and either cleat in or stomp on it again - no need to find the "right" side. 

Oh, if you're riding with cleat-endowed shoes and then flip it over to the flat section, it won't be nearly as much grip as the cleat sits proud of the shoe. Unless the pedal is so concave that the cleat doesn't touch, I wouldn't do that at all. You don't want metal on metal when you're riding flats. 

AFAIK those pedals were designed with 2 things in mind - just random get on and ride as well as a dedicated cleat pedal, or changing it up when you want to ride flats or cleats on a single ride

Plus - I wouldn't want to ride those when it gets hairy. Lose contact with the pedal (which can happen if you're cleated OR uncleated) and you have to fiddle around with the pedal to get the right side. 

Compare that to dedicated flats or cleats where you can just locate the pedal and either cleat in or stomp on it again - no need to find the "right" side. 

Thanks, that was my concern. Flats it is then.

I have 5/10 Impact low's as per this review.

I would love a pair of nice Shimano Saints but unfortunately have the standard flat pedals off of a GT, they do have nice raised knobs though.

With these I have to physically pick up my foot a reposition, they just do not slip. Only time has been when riding through water and thet I put down to the plastic pedal.

There is no comparison. The Vibram soles on a decent studded pedal would be shot in a matter of months I reckon.

There is also a misconception that a flat pedal setup is considerably less efficiebt than a cleated pedal.

All to do with no pulling stroke.

As far as I know this has been proven to have a negligible affect and they are in fact very close in this regard.

Right or wrong? Perhaps The Crow or CPT Armpies can comment?

There is also a misconception that a flat pedal setup is considerably less efficiebt than a cleated pedal.

All to do with no pulling stroke.

As far as I know this has been proven to have a negligible affect and they are in fact very close in this regard.

Right or wrong? Perhaps The Crow or CPT Armpies can comment?

Correct. Based on small studies at the moment, but I'm sure more will come out.

The only time there IS a difference is in sprints, where the pull on the upstroke allows them to eke out just that much more power. Normal pedalling - no difference. 

Correct. Based on small studies at the moment, but I'm sure more will come out.

The only time there IS a difference is in sprints, where the pull on the upstroke allows them to eke out just that much more power. Normal pedalling - no difference. 

Only time I sprint is when I know the Strava segment end is coming up.............

Even then it's usually pointless because I'm already so far behind!!!

I remember reading this some time ago, very informative:

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/

The downloadable version has all sorts of graphs and pie charts proving how insignificant the up pull is actually.

To be honest, the only place I think I would miss cleats is on those very short steep rocky climbs where I consciously push-pull-in-as-much-of-a-circle-as-i-can. Is it necessary? Probably not... But it's how I learned to ride this type of obstacle.. I have a set if Saints. Just need the shoes....

I bought some Teva Pinner's last year over Ebay at around R650 all inclusive. I am still impressed with the performance of the shoes. They still look new after a year, and the Spider rubber is about 70% as good as Stealth.

They are not easy to get hold of, so online would be your best bet.

post-47285-0-48922100-1416483259_thumb.jpg

To be honest, the only place I think I would miss cleats is on those very short steep rocky climbs where I consciously push-pull-in-as-much-of-a-circle-as-i-can. Is it necessary? Probably not... But it's how I learned to ride this type of obstacle.. I have a set if Saints. Just need the shoes....

.....or I can take the saints off your hands for a fair price???

Haha. I considered selling them, but I actually want to give them a good home on my single speed trail bike.... I just chickened out on the initial build....

They're on sale at CWC for like R650 or so at the moment I think

They're on sale at CWC for like R650 or so at the moment I think

I saw, but you get a very similar Giant contact pedal for like R350.

Just can't justify why the saint costs double!!

I'm a cheap-skate, sorry.......