Women promoting violence against cyclists in Delta Park

mrbaker

Without threads like these I would actually have to spend my day working....  :ph34r:

Rule #3: Ignore rules #1 and #2 :cursing:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the spruit / delta park every week for cycling, walking, running, with / without the dog. Bottom line... Walkers, runners and dogs have right of way. Cyclists should slow down, avoid the dogs especially as they have a mind of their own by giving them a couple of meters space. And importantly cyclists should be friendly... Nothing wrong with saying hi...

Far too many cyclists are using the spruit to break strava records and race... There is a time and a place to do this but where you have a communal park there must be boundaries and rules which all people abide by.

I also feel it unfair to judge Tim as he does fantastic work for the community and is very popular in Parkhurst amongst cyclists and non cyclists alike.

Through some discussion with Tim Truluck, he has offered the following apology.

If anyone would like to confirm they can do so directly with Tim, whose contact details I posted at the beginning of the thread.

I would like apologise unreservedly to the mountain bike community for my untoward comments on the Blairgowrie Community Association Facebook Group regarding the behaviour of those few reckless and inconsiderate mountain bikers at Delta Park who are posing a threat to the other park users and tarnishing the reputation of the majority of law abiding mountain bikers. My posts were uncalled for and I did not think about the bigger picture at the time of posting.I am certainly not anti-mountain biker and am usually the first point of call for the organisers of events like the recent Hollard MTB Assault and the Momentum 94.7 Challenge. It is usually my letter that is used in the documentation for ward councillor approval. I am a mountain biker myself and while I am recovering from a knee op earlier this year, I use an electric bike to go to most of my meetings in the. City.Delta Park and the heavily used section of the Spruit between Tana and Bantam Drive is in my ward. The park is now being used 4 times more than it was 3 years ago when I became a councillor. And I have recently picked up a growing number of flashpoints between dogwalkers and bikers/children, between walkers and bikers, between the Parkrunners and the bikers/walkers, etc. To start addressing these conflicts, I have started a forum between Parkrun, the Residents' User Group and City Parks to work on some of these problems. I know that the Users and City Parks have also been working on a dedicated MTB route in the park with a group of mountain bikers. And it is also hoped that seperate MTB and walking paths will soon be installed along the section of the Spruit from Conrad to Rustenburg Rds. The route under Rustenburg Rd and the other wooden bridges in area that the mountain bikers have constructed are a valuable addition to the Spruit network. I have pushed the newly formed Environmental Resource Inspectors in the city to take a decision that they be allowed to remain as they are not interfering with the water flow in the river or stream bed.Perhaps the representatives from the different MTB groups would like to be involved in the planning of these routes and other issues that affect mountain bikers? This is especially important as there will soon be 25 km of dedicated cycle lanes in and around Rosebank. One of them will link with the Spruit. And the volume of users will increase because of this.We need to allow all the users to use the park and spruit peacefully and to coexist with each other. Hopefully over time, the users who are not playing the game, whether they be mountain bikers, dog walkers or other groups, will fall into line and become more considerate. Tim Truluckttruluck@gmail.com

I would like apologise unreservedly to the mountain bike community for my untoward comments on the Blairgowrie Community Association Facebook Group regarding the behaviour of those few reckless and inconsiderate mountain bikers at Delta Park who are posing a threat to the other park users and tarnishing the reputation of the majority of law abiding mountain bikers. My posts were uncalled for and I did not think about the bigger picture at the time of posting.I am certainly not anti-mountain biker and am usually the first point of call for the organisers of events like the recent Hollard MTB Assault and the Momentum 94.7 Challenge. It is usually my letter that is used in the documentation for ward councillor approval. I am a mountain biker myself and while I am recovering from a knee op earlier this year, I use an electric bike to go to most of my meetings in the. City.Delta Park and the heavily used section of the Spruit between Tana and Bantam Drive is in my ward. The park is now being used 4 times more than it was 3 years ago when I became a councillor. And I have recently picked up a growing number of flashpoints between dogwalkers and bikers/children, between walkers and bikers, between the Parkrunners and the bikers/walkers, etc. To start addressing these conflicts, I have started a forum between Parkrun, the Residents' User Group and City Parks to work on some of these problems. I know that the Users and City Parks have also been working on a dedicated MTB route in the park with a group of mountain bikers. And it is also hoped that seperate MTB and walking paths will soon be installed along the section of the Spruit from Conrad to Rustenburg Rds. The route under Rustenburg Rd and the other wooden bridges in area that the mountain bikers have constructed are a valuable addition to the Spruit network. I have pushed the newly formed Environmental Resource Inspectors in the city to take a decision that they be allowed to remain as they are not interfering with the water flow in the river or stream bed.Perhaps the representatives from the different MTB groups would like to be involved in the planning of these routes and other issues that affect mountain bikers? This is especially important as there will soon be 25 km of dedicated cycle lanes in and around Rosebank. One of them will link with the Spruit. And the volume of users will increase because of this.We need to allow all the users to use the park and spruit peacefully and to coexist with each other. Hopefully over time, the users who are not playing the game, whether they be mountain bikers, dog walkers or other groups, will fall into line and become more considerate. Tim Truluckttruluck@gmail.com

Aren't politicians just the coolest creatures?

No use apologising here, do it on the forum where you raged about Cyclists.

It's there where you caused the damage, not here!!!!!!

Edited after I was shown the error of my ways. :blush:

Well done then to you, Mr Truluck.

No use apologising here, do it on the forum where you raged about Cyclists.

It's there where you caused the damage, not here!!!!!!

He did, and is the bigger person for it. Take a lesson from that, many of us should actually.

I use the spruit and it is great. 

One needs be aware it is a free public area open to all- cyclists and walkers , dogs etc.

Thus one must be courteous and cycle around everyone, not 'slipstream' them.

This also applies to walkers- seen some aggro guys walking there, one tried to push me off my bike even. 

Live and let live! 

I feel it's quite simple, when I am on the road in my car, I look out for cyclists and pedestrians as I am driving a 1 tonne plus murder weapon.

When I am on my bicycle on the trail, I am just another vehicle and use the same though of logic.

Just as a matter of interest :

Trail etiquette: guidelines for cyclists  Wednesday, 19 November 2014 

http://www.jhbcityparks.com/plugins/content/valaddthis/valaddthis/images/share-short.gif

Cyclists should yield to all other trail users, unless the trail is clearly marked for bike-only travel.

http://www.jhbcityparks.com/images/stories/2014/nov/cyclist1_254.jpg

TO PROMOTE responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails in our parks and open spaces, Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo appeals to cyclists to observe the following rules of cycling etiquette.

Ride on Open Trails Only. Respect trail and road closures, and do not trespass on private land.

Leave no trace. Be sensitive to the soil. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don’t drop any litter.

Control your bicycle. Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.

Yield to others. Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you’re coming - a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Cyclists should yield to all other trail users, unless the trail is clearly marked for bike-only travel. Cyclists travelling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way downhill-only traffic. Strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

Never scare animals. Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain).

Plan ahead. Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding - and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient; keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and other appropriate safety gear.

He did, and is the bigger person for it. Take a lesson from that, many of us should actually.

As I'm not on that forum, I was not aware of that.

Will amend my post.

Can you post a screengrab or something of it?

I have seen how some people ride like utter @-holes around the Spruit, bearing down on people, just brushing past them and not allowing any right ow way.

I think the public might just be a tad gatvol.

Alas I'd have to agree. LOVE the spruit myself but sometimes the vibe from other cyclists isn't ideal... and you know how quickly generalisations emerge so therefore "all cyclists" become tainted .....

As I'm not on that forum, I was not aware of that.

Will amend my post.

Can you post a screengrab or something of it?

You don't believe our very own Deon of dassie fame :eek:

I love Michelle Du Toit.. Love the part about dragging a cyclist back to the basement.. hahahahahahahahahahah

Marry me...

You guys are all such whiners.. Yes, maybe Tim needed to be careful what he said on an open forum seeing as he is a DA rep, but in all honesty, he felt no different to a lot of you have expressed here many a time. 

How many of you have moaned about Spruit riders, botanical gardens, etc? Tim is actually a really nice person and has done a lot for this area. (Ward 117). As per his apology, lots has been done for cyclists too.. 

Never judge a book by its online persona, otherwise most of you must be world class A******les.. 

Archived