Will never be the same...

Cois

Had the pleasure this past weekend to cycle with my brothers 29" ispydafly carbon bike, with XT 2x10

Will never feel the same about my bike again. It was a huge pleasure. My aging Scott will never measure up to this bike.

You shift and it shifts. Bike was such a joy to cycle with.

But had to put it in back in his room. I can just imagine replacing parts on that bike...

Don't all bikes shift when you hit the trigger?

Some of them have to think about it for a few seconds first.

Don't all bikes shift when you hit the trigger?

Nope. Mine at this stage is a guessing game. Never know if the bike will shift or not.

Want to replace the cables. Just need to go to a bike shop, but most shops are closed when I knock off.

Like today, only got off at 18H35 so will have to make a plan

I have to change down two and when that chain moves I must click one up again to get single shift. The real cool move is when its dry I use the tip of my shoe (right) and motivate the chain to go up...

Nope. Mine at this stage is a guessing game. Never know if the bike will shift or not.

Want to replace the cables. Just need to go to a bike shop, but most shops are closed when I knock off.

I just lube on my cable and it works. Get some mid range gear and just donwn gear your static bike. housing and acable will come loose and lube it up.

I just lube on my cable and it works. Get some mid range gear and just donwn gear your static bike. housing and acable will come loose and lube it up.

Will give it a try. But bike needs some TLC for a mech.

So there is nothing wrong with your bike........just maintenance issues.

Believe me, if your brother ignores maintanance too, his fancy bike will also have shifting issues.

Lube on a worn cable does less than nothing, as evidenced by your needing to kick your derailleur to make it shift.

Cable outers have self-lubricating plastic liners. When these wear out, replace the outers and carry on with your day.

Wait, I lied. Lubing your cables does do something - it attracts dirt, which causes the outers to wear out quicker.

Plus, a new set of cables isn't a huge cost, but they make a huge difference. You can find plenty of YouTube vids on how to set the gears nicely with new cables. If you're not able to get to the shops, order online and let them deliver to work.

A warn drive-train also causes those gremlins.

My drive-train normally wears out before I need to replace cables. I am on my third drive-train for the year and I cycle an average amount, granted I am overweight and ride in the wet quite a bit. This year the MTB has done about 6,500 km.

So it looks like I get about 2,900 km per drive train and I no longer swap out chains, too lazy, I just ride them till they die.

Not sure if that is good mileage or not.

Get yourself some new teflon coated cables and housings. You will never look back.

Ordered some cables last night. Just have to collect. So will have to make a plan. Have a photoshoot and a client I need to go see, so hope the photoshoot will not take long.

Recently many bikes are coming out with continuous casing from the shifters to the derailleurs. This helps prevent ingress of water and dust that eventually causes wear and stiff operation.

If your bike has the older type cable routing with lengths of casing interspersed with lengths of exposed gear cable then there are multiple points of entry for water and dust which eventually do their evil thing.

Shimano makes a very nice XTR branded cable weatherproofing kit for this type of setup. It has special end caps for the casings with plastic sleeve for the exposed cables and rubber seals that fit over the joints.

On my old 26er I was replacing cables 3 or 4 times a year to keep the shifting smooth ( and daily during a very wet Sani to Sea). After fitting the sealing kit I ran the same set of cables for 2 years...so well worth it IMO.

The kit has enough bits to do 2 average bikes (or one bike twice) and it is not hectically expensive. Because the kit seals out water and dirt you can now lube the casings with grease as well for smoother shifting - it will not dry out or get gummed up with dust if you fit the sealing kit properly.

Archived