Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after nearly 4000k's on those 'Chang-Yong' 35c semi slicks I got hold of these RavX city tyres. Also 35c but way less volume than the Changs for some reason *confused* but a lot more tread .....

Just need a check shirt before I can go out and join the hipsters on it ;)

post-271-0-24792800-1496653171_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-96966400-1496653159_thumb.jpg

I found some Kenda Kwik Tendrils in 35c and they are quite "fat" 

I've been running the Tendrils on my Niner Cx bike for some time now.  Tubeless.  Although not perfect (can't get them airtight), they behaved ok.

Until recently when the tyres blew off the rim at 3.5 Bar.  Yes, the front wheel.  Luckily I was not travelling at speed!!

DO NOT run the Tendrils tubeless!!!! They are an accident waiting to happen!!!!

size?

The front is a 38mm, on the rear I am using 35mm because of limited space. For my +90kg, I pump the front 2.5-3bar. The tyres fitted on 17mm internal rim run about 1mm over advertised size

The front is a 38mm, on the rear I am using 35mm because of limited space. For my +90kg, I pump the front 2.5-3bar. The tyres fitted on 17mm internal rim run about 1mm over advertised size

Awesome!

I have run a few different tyres over the last 5 years and decided to give these Clement MSO 40mm takkies a go after reading that they were the first choice for the US gravel grinding racers.

I run them tubeless, they seated quite easily and hold pressure as well as my Nobbly Nics.

They are without any doubt the best 700c off road tyres I have used and they are showing no wear after about 1000km, about half on tar.

post-50-0-12878300-1496677001_thumb.jpeg

Edited by eddy

i am using Vee tyres - 40c Rail's i think they are called - 

they leak sealant out the sidewalls like a siev. 

Using Stans, im hoping they are better after the next sealant topup.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, newbie here. I haven't riden for years and years but I'm looking at getting back into it. I've got a good deal on a giant tcx slr 2, and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby paws on it. I don't have a large budget, most is going towards the purchase and other small things like accessories. But is there anything that stands out in its specs that the experts would upgrade first? (Without breaking the bank please.)

http://www.giantsouthcoast.co.za/en-za/bikes/model/tcx.slr.2/28188/98428/

Any advice would be great.

Hi all, newbie here. I haven't riden for years and years but I'm looking at getting back into it. I've got a good deal on a giant tcx slr 2, and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby paws on it. I don't have a large budget, most is going towards the purchase and other small things like accessories. But is there anything that stands out in its specs that the experts would upgrade first? (Without breaking the bank please.)

http://www.giantsouthcoast.co.za/en-za/bikes/model/tcx.slr.2/28188/98428/

Any advice would be great.

Nah it's pretty solid, a tubeless upgrade would be nice, something like American classic 30 disc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes agreed.  I have the 2016 version and the wheels are where Giant saved some money.  Close second would be brakes, mechanical brakes aren't great.  Hydraulic brakes are just too expensive.