Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first round of the CX World Cup race was this weekend and I noted that on YouTube "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." when I attempted to watch it from Firefox on YouTube :cursing:

Men Elite - 2017-18 Telenet UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup – Jingle Cross Iowa City, USA

Women Elite - 2017-18 Telenet UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup – Jingle Cross Iowa City, USA

So, to get around it:

1. Download and install the TOR browser https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
  2. Copy and paste the YouTube links in your TOR browser.
  3. Temporary allow flash and you will be able to watch it!
  4. if you wish to download the vids to watch later, just install Video DownloadHelper on your TOR Browser -> Tools -> Add-ons -> search for Video DownloadHelper.

The first round of the CX World Cup race was this weekend and I noted that on YouTube "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." when I attempted to watch it from Firefox on YouTube :cursing:

Men Elite - 2017-18 Telenet UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup – Jingle Cross Iowa City, USA

Women Elite - 2017-18 Telenet UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup – Jingle Cross Iowa City, USA

So, to get around it:

1. Download and install the TOR browser https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
  2. Copy and paste the YouTube links in your TOR browser.
  3. Temporary allow flash and you will be able to watch it!
  4. if you wish to download the vids to watch later, just install Video DownloadHelper on your TOR Browser -> Tools -> Add-ons -> search for Video DownloadHelper.

It was also on SuperSport, thankfully i noticed and watched. 

There was some discussion on another thread about the robustness of mavic aksium wheels for heavy-weight road riders. It's got me to thinking....aksiums for gravel-grinding....robust enough? Discuss away!

• 2 weeks later...

I need some rim brake wheels for my ss-cx if anyone knows a set or even just the hoops please let me know! 

Perhaps if you give some outline specification requirements, then okes could advise you better?

Thoughts on the new Ritchey Outback?

https://ritcheylogic.com/outback-frameset

• Ritchey Carbon Fiber Gravel thru-axle fork 
  • 12mm Thru-Axle front and rear
  • Fits up to 40c tires (depending on tire and rim manufacturer)
  • Bottom Bracket: 68mm English threaded
  • Seatpost: 27.2mm
  • 28.6 front derailleur clamp
  • Weight: 2.17g (L – frame / axle / hanger)
  • Includes: frame / fork / headset
  • Color: Shoreline Teal/Black
  • Available 15 October

outback-steel-frameset.jpg

outback-steel-complete-angle.jpg

Thoughts on the new Ritchey Outback?

https://ritcheylogic.com/outback-frameset

• Ritchey Carbon Fiber Gravel thru-axle fork 
  • 12mm Thru-Axle front and rear
  • Fits up to 40c tires (depending on tire and rim manufacturer)
  • Bottom Bracket: 68mm English threaded
  • Seatpost: 27.2mm
  • 28.6 front derailleur clamp
  • Weight: 2.17g (L – frame / axle / hanger)
  • Includes: frame / fork / headset
  • Color: Shoreline Teal/Black
  • Available 15 October

outback-steel-frameset.jpg

outback-steel-complete-angle.jpg

This should have a Parental Advisory sticker on it!

The only thing for me is the lack (seemingly) of canti brake options. I know it's old school, but for me the Cotic X, as an example, which could mount disc or cantis kept your options open.

Recent progress on the X-project.....Spez Awol flared handlebars (tape to be done once I'm happy with position), an old FD as a chain guide, a 42T chainwheel (I'd prefer a 36-38T but beggars...choosers!), touring tyres (32mm).

Such a comfy fun ride (but a 0-offset post would help), and maybe a tad sluggish to get up to speed, but not that kind of bike, is it!?

post-77414-0-15274700-1507554750_thumb.jpg

post-77414-0-10488400-1507554869_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some new tyres to replace the Schwalbe’s G One. The Schwalbe is a nice tyre but the mileage on the rear was not great. Had one puncture, but the sludge took care of it????

post-26136-0-74780700-1509463079_thumb.jpegpost-26136-0-04575800-1509463106_thumb.jpeg

Ordered from sigma sport. Exactly one week from date of order to my doorstep????????

Edited by LOOK695

Some new tyres to replace the Schwalbe’s G One. The Schwalbe is a nice tyre but the mileage on the rear was not great. Had one puncture, but the sludge took care of it

attachicon.gifA77DBFB7-9F88-4708-8B75-60EE0DE8A08D.jpegattachicon.gifD4F637F3-D776-4A6D-AD2F-0E0DE5D40F7F.jpeg

Ordered from sigma sport. Exactly one week from date of order to my doorstep

Would appreciate some feedback on these, as and when you can. Had ear-marked these for future consideration....

PS is that a 35 and a 43mm separately?

Edited by Fat Boab

I am about to ask a question, which well, its kinda odd.

Mrs Slowbee is having confidence issues with her road bike. The gear changes, braking and over all balance are an issue for her. But she does however enjoy riding the bike when non of those issues are in play (open tar road with wide shoulder and no traffic).

With the wider tyres and disc brakes, I am considering a CX bike for her.

Against this skill set (and not being a very strong rider), would you guys go with a well specced Cotic X or a newer breed of bike like the giant anyroad or spez sequia (priced around the R19k mark).

EDIT: this is with the view of road riding. She would want to do Stellenbosch road tour and Argus on it, maybe some dirt roads, but that is it. She has a mountain bike to take off road.