Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if Campag Athena levers will work with Avid Road BB7 mechanical disc brakes? Also have a cyclocross/allroad/tourer build underway slowly. 

Edited by Singletrack Sarah

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if Campag Athena levers will work with Avid Road BB7 mechanical disc brakes? Also have a cyclocross/allroad/tourer build underway slowly.

Shouldn't be a problem. The lever will be used to actuate the mechanical disc caliper just like it does a road caliper.

As Ryan said above.

I'll add that those are bb7 road calipers designed to be used with road levers. The pull ratios are what matter here. The mtb calipers for example will not work properly with road levers.

Can I use a 29er hardtail frame and rigid fork to build a disc cyclo cross bike? 29er wheels and drop handlebars and Sti's. Will be mechanical disc brakes. And then some 2.1 tubeless nobby's (small box). XT double cranks....

Man i am so tempted.....

Actually you can use a 26" frame.

Can't wait for the 105 hydraulic disc to become a little more mainstream. Three of us really Jen to build up some cx bad boys over the next year.

Actually you can use a 26" frame.

Struggled to find a small road frame for my wife at a stage. Got her a 26" mtb frame, road set up. Road bars, Ultegra, Road wheels. Worked fine. Still had clearance for bigger tyres.

so it would work fine. ( M-GOOSE ! i had it build in Bloem Urban Cycles back then, but sure Juan, Piet or Hannes can help you out too // but then again you could properly do it youself)

Those wheels should be ok. Centre lock are just shimano specific discs and not the normal 6 bolt discs. Check a picture on goolge to see difference(cannot post image, thehub is giving me problems)

Ignore the geometry & BB Clearance is there any reason why a MTB frame will not work?

Anyone build a cx bike using a MTB frame?

I suppose it will probably be heavier as well vs cx specific frame.

Ignore the geometry & BB Clearance is there any reason why a MTB frame will not work?

Reason I am wanting to change from my trek 900 which is rigid MTB, would just be because the CX would be lighter and I like the idea of having drops.

There are some MTB's on this thread that were converted to CX with thinner tyres.

That would be more of a Monster Cross. Go for it.

If you looking for a fun gravel grinder option and already have a MTB frame then grab some drops and try it...

Quite popular with On-One Inbred, Niner SIR and MCR etc frames...

Reason I am wanting to change from my trek 900 which is rigid MTB, would just be because the CX would be lighter and I like the idea of having drops.

There are some MTB's on this thread that were converted to CX with thinner tyres.

That would be more of a Monster Cross. Go for it.

If you looking for a fun gravel grinder option and already have a MTB frame then grab some drops and try it...

Quite popular with On-One Inbred, Niner SIR and MCR etc frames...

yep thats what i was thinking just add cx tires & drop bars? 

Start with the drops. Keep the mtb tyres. If you want faster, harder tyres then go CX...

Start with the drops. Keep the mtb tyres. If you want faster, harder tyres then go CX...

Or just buy my Singular [emoji6]