Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

sooooo reading all this...... my On One Scandal 26er frame can get carbon 29er fork, 29er wheels with cx tires, drop bars, a road groupset and i have the making of a CX bike.

just confused about the disk brakes, sounds like I have to go mechanical?

unless the frame & fork has mounts for v-brakes then you could go that route as well.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sooooo reading all this...... my On One Scandal 26er frame can get carbon 29er fork, 29er wheels with cx tires, drop bars, a road groupset and i have the making of a CX bike.

oh & if you have 26er fork already the 29er wheels with cx tires will apparently work as well.

Yeah it starts to get a bit complex with a 29" fork. You have to then know about suspension correction and things like arch to crown lengths.

That being said, in SA I think everyone categorizes riding their bikes far too much. Put it together, have fun doing it and see how it rides. Might be awesome, might suck but who cares.

unless the frame & fork has mounts for v-brakes then you could go that route as well.

Won't the spacing to the rim be all messed up if you run 29" wheels? With v brakes that is. Disks, no problem

Yeah it starts to get a bit complex with a 29" fork. You have to then know about suspension correction and things like arch to crown lengths.

That being said, in SA I think everyone categorizes riding their bikes far too much. Put it together, have fun doing it and see how it rides. Might be awesome, might suck but who cares.

Must agree with that sentiment, that's what I did and man I love riding that Monster/Frankenbike of mine around!

Technically you could use a 26r rigid fork. There's no bridge so clearance isn't an issue. This way your BB and head tube isn't raised either. But either will work. Won't be a CX bike as such. More of hybrid, franken, monstercross...

Mechanical calipers allow you to run STIs. Otherwise hydraulic STIs with hydraulic calipers will work but I can't see too many people going to this expense on a franken bike...

A 100mm 26" fork has an axle to crown measurement of approx 470mm. Sagged this figure goes to approx 440/450mm - thus 26" rigid forks are around the 440mm axle to crown mark.

29r rigid forks range from 450 - 490mm (many at 470mm to accommodate a 100mm 29r suspension fork) 

So running a rigid 29r fork will be like an unsagged 26" suspension fork and change the geometry of a 26" bike...

Won't the spacing to the rim be all messed up if you run 29" wheels? With v brakes that is. Disks, no problem

i have no clue just restating all the info I gathered from this thread.

You can't use the 26er frame V-brake pins to accommodate 29er rims. Either relocate the v-brake pins (pain in the gazoo) or use disc brakes.

You can't use the 26er frame V-brake pins to accommodate 29er rims. Either relocate the v-brake pins (pain in the gazoo) or use disc brakes.

I only replaced my front mechanical disc caliper with a BB7 for road shifters. The rear caliper I left as a standard mtb mechanical caliper.

The BB7 mech disc caliper is available for mtb or road levers. Got it from cape multi for a steal considering the punch it packs.

My rear wheel locked out quickly, so had no need to upgrade the caliper there.

I have a Ridgeback flight, that originally had a flatbar, which I removed and replaced with a road drop handlebar and road 10speed groupset.

I really need to upgrade my wheels though :)

I only replaced my front mechanical disc caliper with a BB7 for road shifters. The rear caliper I left as a standard mtb mechanical caliper.

The BB7 mech disc caliper is available for mtb or road levers. Got it from cape multi for a steal considering the punch it packs.

My rear wheel locked out quickly, so had no need to upgrade the caliper there.

I have a Ridgeback flight, that originally had a flatbar, which I removed and replaced with a road drop handlebar and road 10speed groupset.

I really need to upgrade my wheels though :)

Picture of the bike

2nd hand mechanical disc brakes just arrived to pair with my Shimano Sti's, thanks to Lindsay & her BF for the swop in exchange for my shimano hydraulic disc brakes. Was a bit of desperate move without doing proper homework from my side, nonetheless let the build continue.
post-3951-1434012997,3426.jpg

Edited by milky4130

Mechanical calipers allow you to run STIs. Otherwise hydraulic STIs with hydraulic calipers will work but I can't see too many people going to this expense on a franken bike...

You could of course use those fancy hydraulic calipers with cable sti's.... :) That's my plan for my Cotic when it comes back from paint.... and the boxes are under my desk.

Although I do like the look of the CX1 setup.... mmm... decisions decisions...

Guess I will wait for the bike to come back from paint.... been 7 months already... no hurry...