#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

#ninerboxmustfall

Ha, ha you guys are so funny!!

Was at the lbs to dial in the bike - ex pro team mech, so he has some lekker kit for the perfect dial-in.

There were like a gazillion bikes - all to be ready for the 947.  I had to left the bike in the box.  Yes can you believe it.

Will go check again this pm.

For me, patience is not a virtue!!!!

Underachiever, you should build it yourself. I did that and got the lbs to attach the crank and things I did not have the tools for. Then when complete get them to check it. Quite a awesome experience rising your bike when you know you helped put her together.

Underachiever, you should build it yourself. I did that and got the lbs to attach the crank and things I did not have the tools for. Then when complete get them to check it. Quite a awesome experience rising your bike when you know you helped put her together.

Bike is already build by the good folk at Niner.  Needs to dial in saddle height, position and such like to get it the way I like it - perfect!!

Ha, ha you guys are so funny!!

Was at the lbs to dial in the bike - ex pro team mech, so he has some lekker kit for the perfect dial-in.

There were like a gazillion bikes - all to be ready for the 947.  I had to left the bike in the box.  Yes can you believe it.

Will go check again this pm.

For me, patience is not a virtue!!!!

Was he an ex pro-crosser? If not, I'm pretty sure you'll end up tweaking the 'dialed' setup...

Was he an ex pro-crosser? If not, I'm pretty sure you'll end up tweaking the 'dialed' setup...

You're right.  This is the initial dial-in using my road bike set-up as a basis to work from.  Then I'll start making the adjustments. 

I've chosen the frame size with the help of Niner, taking the geometry of my current road bike into consideration. Already ordered the bike with a 20mm shorter stem based on their recommendation (90mm vs 110mm). 

My saddle height and saddle position is identical on all 4 of my current bikes (2 x road & 2x MTB), so planning the same for the Niner.  Don't want to mess with this too much since I had a knee problem a number of years back.  Stem height will probably start a tad higher.

Any tips Ryan and others? Did I miss something important? 

Edited by Underachiever

You're right.  This is the initial dial-in using my road bike set-up as a basis to work from.  Then I'll start making the adjustments. 

I've chosen the frame size with the help of Niner, taking the geometry of my current road bike into consideration. Already ordered the bike with a 20mm shorter stem based on their recommendation (90mm vs 110mm). 

My saddle height and saddle position is identical on all 4 of my current bikes (2 x road & 2x MTB), so planning the same for the Niner.  Don't want to mess with this too much since I had a knee problem a number of years back.  Stem height will probably start a tad higher.

Sounds about right re the shorter stem. A few other key differences, I've found between my 'normal' road setup and what I like on a cross/ adventure bike...

• Slightly higher bars - so a slight lift/ rise (spacer on the steerer or rise on the stem).
  • Wider bars - a flare can help here but I run standard 44cm road bars. Guys like the flare for the extra width and control.
  • Shallow drop (you may run this on the road setup already).

The combination of shorter stem, wider bars and shallow drop makes me feel very in control of things offroad - I ride in the drops most of the time when things get fast or a bit tricky (single track etc).

Edited by Ryanpmb

....relative to?

Get some top of bar Tektro levers which allows you to brake from the flat section of the drops. It helps when on single track and descents to keep your weight back.

Normally you would be in the drops to have your hands on the brake levers so your weight is very far forward. This brings you up a bit and makes the OTB less of a risk.

+1 for the bars - you can get 460mm bars - i imported a set - they make a difference.