So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

It's always about crossing the line if it's called an event or a race.

And the person that finishes ahead of you, they beat you, no amount of skill or lack thereof will change that .

I can only think of one "Timed Event" where this is Not true.

In a Trials competition if you are the slowest rider to finish the route but have the least amount of dabs (putting your foot down) you are the winner.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True that Patch, the only problem with that is most guys have this "I am the only one here today attitude" and then the guys who rate themselves as skilful also have an aura about themselves.

I hardly ever do races anymore, I just enjoy riding with my mates.

The funny bit is that "skill" is so relative. There are okes out who fancy themselves as skillful and will happily proclaim a section of trail unridable and dismount and walk. When the next rider through rides it, he/she is proclaimed "windgat".

there is just no winning these days. Hence, I enter very few "races". Maybe I will start racing XC again cos there is no hiding in an XC race. If you are unfit or unskilled you simply get unceremoniously pulled form the race with a fat DNF next to your name irrespective of entry fee.

But XC racing and racers are not cool you see so maybe I will buy a pair of baggies to bump my points up a little.

"Rally" "unclip" I am now really lost.

The OP is also referring to a marathon type ride, where the first guy to cross the lines happens to take the spoils.

Nobody asks him how many times he unclipped .

I dont know if we are reading the same OP. I see no reference made to "the winner".

Also, the post I am reading is refering to the awesome trails that was part of the race/event (not a type of riding style like you brought up now)..."We had such awesome trials the 1st 50 km, but no one seemed to be able to ride them. Walking switchbacks, baby rock gardens, awesome drops etc."

As to my reference to "unclip" ...as far as I know most people people that wear cleats and then walk their bikes (as said in OP) needs to "unclip".

Maybe copy-past your reference about where the OP refered to "the winner"  (and marathon being the problem too) please. Then I will understand you better too.

agree with above and with all due respect, this first across the line is a winner stuff is exactly the roadie mentality reffered to, we all enter races for different reasons, me to ride in areas where you normally cant. unlike road races where you hold your line, here we share the line, and have regard for other users

Yip, for me aswell.

if you want to have fun don't (enter a) race and if you do (enter a) race don't expect to have much fun.

I dont know if we are reading the same OP. I see no reference made to "the winner".

Oh gosh, it's all lost on this one  :wacko:  :wacko:

True that Patch, the only problem with that is most guys have this "I am the only one here today attitude" and then the guys who rate themselves as skilful also have an aura about themselves.

I hardly ever do races anymore, I just enjoy riding with my mates.

yup! as with the Spruit hating thread... a little courtesy goes a long way... and will make the ride more FUN for just about everyone. Even those that are there with their serious faces on.

There is ALWAYS someone faster or more skilled then you or I... realizing this is the first step to having more fun on one's bike. The second step is riding the way I want to without obstructing people from riding the way they want to.

The funny bit is that "skill" is so relative. There are okes out who fancy themselves as skillful and will happily proclaim a section of trail unridable and dismount and walk. When the next rider through rides it, he/she is proclaimed "windgat".

there is just no winning these days. Hence, I enter very few "races". Maybe I will start racing XC again cos there is no hiding in an XC race. If you are unfit or unskilled you simply get unceremoniously pulled form the race with a fat DNF next to your name irrespective of entry fee.

But XC racing and racers are not cool you see so maybe I will buy a pair of baggies to bump my points up a little.

XC will never see me, I simply don't have it, I have some skill but not the ability to carry that skill at speed .

But can you enter a "race" for "fun"....

For sure!

We entered the race on Saturday here in JHB due to 2 reasons, to support to organisers and also to have fun with friends we havent seen in a while and all while there were a medical team close by for if we made silly mistakes (safe environment to do so) :)

We entered for the fun of the ride, not to go for the win.

XC will never see me, I simply don't have it, I have some skill but not the ability to carry that skill at speed .

No way dude - give it a go ... you may suck at first but it will really help your riding skill and fitness.

Im even going back to do some XCO this year. I know im going to get lapped on the first or 2nd lap but who cares ... 

yup! as with the Spruit hating thread... a little courtesy goes a long way... and will make the ride more FUN for just about everyone. Even those that are there with their serious faces on.

There is ALWAYS someone faster or more skilled then you or I... realizing this is the first step to having more fun on one's bike. The second step is riding the way I want to without obstructing people from riding the way they want to.

give this man a bells is there an emoticon for slow clap you deserve one

On a different note, yet related, ever tried being a "chick" in a MTB race that is over-loaded with testosterone? From guys screaming "give me track" from about 100m behind (when I'm well aware they are there and will pull over to let them pass - believe me I don't want you ogling my ass as much as you can't stand to be behind it either) or blocking my own descent (yes, funny that, I CAN go fast downhill) cos to have a chick pass them is like, so last year bru.... yip. Yesterday I had a former rugby prop (metaphorical description) deliberately prevent me passing him on a long piece of singletrack by cutting me off if I tried passing left or right, but its OK cos I just went round him as soon as I hit a wider piece of track (ie ten metres from the finishline) - shem, so he came 199th not 198th (metaphorical exaggeration once again), and didn't beat the chickie. Does it make y'all feel goooooood yeah??!!!! Oh, and when you guys can't ride through the river crossing and force me to get off my bike...... *sigh*. :) <- and in the end its all for fun right? Right?

Rampage is on a totally different skills level than WC DHi's but some guys that ride/podium Rampage will not get the same result when they are put on simpler tracks where they are timed...that is a fact..

Winning the timed race is deffo not winning the skills race! I guess one will only know that once you let go of the 'racing with the distance/time calculators' and start looking at the drops/gaps/rock gardens these okes are actually doing AND HOW they are doing it. (jaw dropping!) :o

Surely though a race is timed?

I see it as a timed race or a skills competition (marked).

That's not to say either one is better than the other but they are different.

Can you simultaneously rub circles on your stomach and pat your head?

THAT is true skill :lol:

Once you have mastered that, stand on one leg and try and draw a figure eight with your other foot and rub circles on your head at the same time ....  :whistling:  :w00t:

On a different note, yet related, ever tried being a "chick" in a MTB race that is over-loaded with testosterone? From guys screaming "give me track" from about 100m behind (when I'm well aware they are there and will pull over to let them pass - believe me I don't want you ogling my ass as much as you can't stand to be behind it either) or blocking my own descent (yes, funny that, I CAN go fast downhill) cos to have a chick pass them is like, so last year bru.... yip. Yesterday I had a former rugby prop (metaphorical description) deliberately prevent me passing him on a long piece of singletrack by cutting me off if I tried passing left or right, but its OK cos I just went round him as soon as I hit a wider piece of track (ie ten metres from the finishline) - shem, so he came 199th not 198th (metaphorical exaggeration once again), and didn't beat the chickie. Does it make y'all feel goooooood yeah??!!!! Oh, and when you guys can't ride through the river crossing and force me to get off my bike...... *sigh*. :) <- and in the end its all for fun right? Right?

One of the funniest things I have witnessed was on a nice and technical ST race in the grabouw area.

A dude on his very expensive dually with white bibs and cycling shoes ..... at a little stream crossing, nearly doing the splits trying to get over the stream with his bike in tow and not getting his shoes / feet wet .... and this was a ride where it was moerse wet, so it really did not matter if your white shoes got wet at all.

Anyway, this guy would get frantic when I got close to him on the ST sections and it would take lots of asking nicely for him to let me pass when safe for him to do so. Guy would screaming past on the open flat sections again (I was on a SS that race/ride, so no way I would or could keep up on the flats) , only to find him holding up riders later on again and not moving over when safe to do so.

Anyway, I was not racing and enjoyed stopping for light lunch and to take pics along the route.

Pic below of my lunch break

post-5403-0-00535700-1417423898_thumb.jpg

Archived